MFP premium query

Options
Hi,
I have been using mfp for a while now and wonder if it would help me to upgrade to premium. If you use premium would you recommend? In what ways does it help in addition to the free version? Just want to make sure I would benefit before signing up.
Thanks,

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It's only going to help you if you see yourself using the specific features it offers. Are there specific features you think will help you?
  • Gemini7637
    Gemini7637 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Not sure really what features it offers that's the reason for my asking...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Gemini7637 wrote: »
    Not sure really what features it offers that's the reason for my asking...

There is a summary here: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/premium?source=menu_bar
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I don't know them all because I only use one which is setting different goals for different days. As I recall the premium tab tells you what is there (which isn't much) so you can see if there is anything you will use. I like having no ads but I don't think that is a good enough reason to pay for it. I, also, don't think it is worth month to month. I paid for one month then signed up for a year.

This is not a recommendation.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    The premium settings are there visible in the settings you can see now..it will just say it's premium and not let you change it - if you haven't come across that as a problem yet, then no need for premium.

Here are some of the ones I've used:
    • Disabling exercise calories (if you have a good idea of your average TDEE, and some of your exercise doesn't quantify well with trackers/you sometimes do/sometimes don't track) - then upping calorie goal and disabling exercise calories makes sense.
    • Macro goals by gram rather than %. (I think this is premium, but can't remember for sure).
    • Tailoring which macros your exercise calories go to (I track minimum grams of protein and fat as % of LBM, and so don't want to up those goal numbers due to exercise calories...mine are set to go 100% to carbs).
    • Customize app dashboard.. I have it set to show remaining desired fat, protein and remaining calories at quick glance (rather than total calories, exercise calories, and remaining calories).

• carynfulda
    carynfulda Posts: 5 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    "Customize app dashboard.. I have it set to show remaining desired fat, protein and remaining calories at quick glance (rather than total calories, exercise calories, and remaining calories)."

I'm curious - can't you see that on your food diary anyway? Without Premium I can track sat fats, protein, carbs, etc. , which shows me how much I've used and how much I have left.

Personally, I'm not getting much out of the Premium version and so far the only real difference is that there's $9.99 missing from my bank account.

I decided to upgrade hoping to get more macros details and other than changing the measurement from % to grams, that's about it. Disabling the exercise feature is nice, but quite frankly I question why they discourage you from too much of a calorie deficit via exercise by auto adjusting your caloric intake goals in the free version but there are no limits in the premium version. It's like they created an issue that you can ditch by going Premium.

If you don't eat your exercise calories back, the work-around is to use a free exercise app to track your work outs and don't log it here.

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    It's just a lot quicker to see the info (and the price was cheap enough to be worth the added convenience).
    ctka52wqynsb.png

My exercise is logged by Garmin and synced along with weight to MFP. For the summer months, I dropped base calories and re-enabled the exercise tracking (enough days with 1000+ calorie workouts on a not-so-regular schedule that I want to be sure to fuel those but yet not over-eat on the weeks with no backpacking/orienteering meets/century rides/etc) - so back to exercise calories 100% to carbs.

(In the winter, my exercise is largely limited to 2 weeknight runs, dancing most evenings, weekend hikes or dance exchanges - so a bit more constant with nothing ridiculously strenuous requiring tremendous amounts of extra fuel on any particular day..so meal planning with an extra 400 calories per day evenly distributed is easier).
  • carynfulda
    carynfulda Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ah, ok, that makes sense in that it's quicker than scrolling down. I basically set mine when I plan my meals for the day and then forget it unless I skip a meal. I don't make caloric adjustments during the week - I usually only burn about 500-700 a day - but I will log exercise on my active days when it gets up in the 1000 range.