What's your average workout like (gym)?

Options

Replies

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Bison burgers are the best.....I had the amazing fortune of getting some bison meat about three years ago in Salem, VA (nope, not here in Winston-Salem, NC) and OMG.......are we allowed to say mouthgasm here in this forum? Too late....already said it. You ain't had meat until you have had bison.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Male (turning 24 in a few hours)

1. My weight workouts are around 45-60 minutes.

2. I usually just stick to 3-5 exercises per session.

3. Lately I've been doing about 7-8 sets per exercise, with reps ranging from 5 to 20. I have been trying to gain both strength and size.

4. I do a couple workouts each week. I have had this particular workout routine for about 3 months.

5. I don't eat anything for a good 2-3 hours before the workout. After, I will often eat a fairly large meal (especially when I've done cardio before lifting). From a macro perspective, my post workout meal (for an extended exercise session) has everything - lots of carbs, protein, and fat. If not as big of a meal, it will still have a decent amount of all macros.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    1. How long do your sessions usually last per day?
    60-75 minutes lifting weights, no/minimal resting between sets

2. How many different exercises do you tend to do per session/day?
    Around 9-12 (bodybuilder-esque, high volume)

3. How many reps/sets you do & why/ body goals?
    ~2 compound exercises/session pyramid style to ~5 reps/set (sometimes less) for assessing strength
    Other exercises 15-25 reps/set (volume/hypertrophy, higher reps for certain groups - rear delts, calves mostly)
    Supersetting/giant setting throughout the entire workout (fatloss/improve body composition as goal)

4. How often do you do the same workout routine per week?/How often does it change?
    Pull - Legs - Push - Legs sequence (I try to rotate exercises for hypertrophy & keep consistent with compound strength lifts)

6. What do you eat before the gym if anything? What after?
    Water, caffeine, L-citrulline, beta-alanine, creatine-HCl, taurine, glycerol mono stearate (before & during)....real food after (No hype around that "anabolic window", that's just how schedule falls/convenient)

6. For those that have anemia if anyone, what you do/use to overcome low energy & light headedness?
    B12 & Folic acid both off the charts via last blood work (above upper limit of normal...folic acid - cancer association), Fe2-3+ WNL (within normal limits), RBC (WNL), Hgb (WNL), Hct (WNL)

lightheadedness (I have postural orthostatic tachycardia) - focus on electrolytes (Na+) & water (hydration). I eat tons of "evil" salty food. Drug measures: I use ephedrine/mixed sympathomimetic vasoconstrictor (not for the weak of heart, strong stimulant - goes back to helping with my specific condition - this makes me not "natty")
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    48 male, consistent 4 years under my belt now, some in HS and in my 20's and 30's.

Varies based on the program I'm running. Could range from 45 mins to 75 mins

Varies based on program. Usually 1-3 main and another 2-5 secondary.

(Theme here lol), based on program. Strength 3-5 reps 3-4 sets, hyper 8-15 reps 4-5 sets

4. How often do you do the same workout routine per week?/How often does it change?

Again, based on program. Usually set in blocks of 4 or up to 12 weeks. Main lifts don't usually change but accessories may on a week to week basis.

5. What do you eat before the gym if anything? What after?

1 hour before I either have 2 greek yogurts or a cliff bar. Otherwise I'll get sick to my stomach and lightheaded.

6. For those that have anemia if anyone, what you do/use to overcome low energy & light headedness?

I have the opposite of anemia (which my Dr monitors every six months) but as mentioned in 5, I do need to eat something about an hour before lifting.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    Totally awesome to see "older dudes" kicking *kitten* in the gym. Show those young bucks the example....it is (or should be) all about longevity.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Male, 55 y/o. Primary goal is overall fitness and recomp/aesthetics.

50-60 minutes lifting, 20-30 minutes light/moderate cardio afterward. A couple times a week I'll throw in a run, bike, etc. between lifting days, but I'm not real structured with that aspect of it.

5 to 7 exercises per session, mix of compound and isolation movements.

Rep range usually from 8-15, primarily in the 8-10 range. Body goals are as stated above.

I do an upper/lower split three days per week, which has each muscle group worked twice every five days (give or take a day). I've been running the same routine (with occasional exercise changes) for a couple years.

5. What do you eat before the gym if anything? What after?
    I eat a light meal containing around 30g protein an hour or two before my workout. Post workout I usually drink a protein shake and sometimes a light snack with it.
  • Keto_Vampire
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Does not understand woos based on a post asking about opinions...(stalkers? toxic keyboard warriors?...seems reoccurring in this forum). This post will inevitably get woo'd...remembering why I do not like social media (negativity)
    Other than stockholm_Andy for being silly that is (still was not me)

• Boxn_n_Bellydancn
    Boxn_n_Bellydancn Posts: 171 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    My workouts take about 45 minutes, not including warm-up and stretching after, so about an hour.

#6 - your doc can tell you exactly what you need to get “out of the hole” and maintain....anything from Ferrous Sulfate (a type of iron), paired with Vit C for absorption, to (Extreme cases) transfusions. As everyone’s body is different, you and your doc will know best. It may take time to figure it out. After years of managing my anemia I can tell when I’m slipping down the rabbit hole. Oddly, when I start craving specific foods. Just my experiences.
  • Boxn_n_Bellydancn
    Boxn_n_Bellydancn Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Does not understand woos based on a post asking about opinions...(stalkers? toxic keyboard warriors?...seems reoccurring in this forum). This post will inevitably get woo'd...remembering why I do not like social media (negativity)
    Don’t sweat it. Like you said, social media!
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

I gave you a like to even it out haha
  • jessef593
    Options
    myfitpal13 wrote: »

I'd say it's likely people who are less than satisfied with their progress and feel the need to bring others down for doing it right and putting the work in which gives results. I've had so many woo'd lately
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options

There are a lot of people who think woo is short for woohoo and use it to cheer people on. That’s what I assumed it was when I saw the woo in your post.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options

I don't mind being Woo'd for making a joke.

IMHO this place is way too serious. (o:

Agreed! But, that is the way the world is today...not just this place. 1/2 the people looking for a reason to be offended....the other 1/2 looking to make jokes and have fun. I say, if you can not take a joke......

Now, to be fair (generally speaking...), there are comments in here that are boarderline. I am sure that I have made some myself.
  • Keto_Vampire
    edited May 2018
    Options

Bro, I bow down to you as the king of woos...especially on these boards; no one takes more crap than you for just stating the obvious/speaking your mind

Well, I hope others aren't discouraged about sharing information to the OP because it's always fun to learn & try new things from what others have done
    jessef593 wrote: »

I'd say it's likely people who are less than satisfied with their progress and feel the need to bring others down for doing it right and putting the work in which gives results. I've had so many woo'd lately

• jessef593
    Options
    Bro, I bow down to you as the king of woos...especially on these boards; no one takes more crap than you for just stating the obvious/speaking your mind

Well, I hope others aren't discouraged about sharing information to the OP because it's always fun to learn & try new things from what others have done

Aha thank you man. I haven't let it discourage me yet. I think it's because I'm a young bald man and people tend to assume that I'm associated with a certain group(and I have a couldn't care less attitude occasionally) Happens in person more than you'd think. I kind of love the woo's because it just shows they have no real counter argument other than clicking a button.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

I didn't woo your earlier post but I imagine it may have been the comment on the end about not being "natty" that may have attracted the negativity. Although, I'm not sure how a stimulant stack makes you not natural. I used one during my cut and I also pin T pushing my totals to supra-physiological levels. Heck, my trough is near 1K... but this is where my endocrinologist thinks I'm responding the best - and I consider myself 100% natty.

Also, in a lot of cases and not particularly in yours - it's not what you are saying it's how you say it. I know I've been hit with the woo stick at times for being less than tactful in my responses or speaking in absolutes... and it's been mentioned but I'd bet that the vast majority of posters around here still think a woo is "yeaaaah! awesome!". ;)
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options

Aha thank you man. I haven't let it discourage me yet. I think it's because I'm a young bald man and people tend to assume that I'm associated with a certain group(and I have a couldn't care less attitude occasionally) Happens in person more than you'd think. I kind of love the woo's because it just shows they have no real counter argument other than clicking a button.

I woo you when you deserve it ;)<3
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

1. How long do your sessions usually last per day? **2 hours

2. How many different exercises do you tend to do per session/day? ** 2

3. How many reps/sets you do & why/ body goals? ** I go by the feel of the weight and how I feel. I have no pattern
    Example- Bench 50x135,40x155,30x185,20x205,10x225,10x275,10x315
    Example- Bench 10 sets of 25 reps with 225.
    Example-Bench 10x315, 5x365
    Example- Bench 420x1,400x2,380x4,360x6,340x8
    Example- Bench 8 sets of 50 with 135
    4. How often do you do the same workout routine per week?/How often does it change?** once, twice, 6 times,depends

5. What do you eat before the gym if anything? What after?** something lite

• jessef593
    Options

I woo you when you deserve it ;)<3

I knew I could always count on you :blush: