Working out in the Heat

Options
fstrickl
fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
Hi!

I’ve been away from the MFP forum for some time but as it gets warmer and warmer every day I need some tips! Any tips for working out in the heat? I’m a big wussy and complain about anything warmer than 25 C degrees (77 F). 21 C is my ideal temp (69/70 F) so I try to wake up before the heat hits, but that doesn’t always work.

What do you folks do? Anyone else a big hot weather wuss like me?

Replies

• RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    As a cold weather lover, the heat can be a real exercise killer. I lived in Houston one summer and I was pretty miserable. Even getting up early and hydrating before a run, I still ended up running in weather 80-90.

The only thing that kept me going was the company I worked at had pickup soccer twice a week during lunch. I love soccer so I would force myself to drink 3-4 waterbottles of water in the morning so I was hydrated enough to play in 90% humidity 90-100 degree weather.

Basically finding something that you love and doing with a team so you are more accountable for showing up.

Or switching to exercise indoors.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I just won't do it, or I'll do it before it gets light if I have to. I don't function well in the heat, or after exerting myself in it.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I didn't realize how annoying the heat is when I run until I had to shift a few of my runs to the PM instead of AM. I also spent all winter long bundling up for runs, which I enjoyed surprisingly more than I thought I would.

I've found myself really making more of an effort to stick to my AM (like 4:30 am) runs during the week and it's right around 50F, which to me is PERFECT. I can still wear capris and a t-shirt or tank. It also helps because we tend to get PM thunderstorms and while I don't mind running in weather, I do mind running in lightning!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    From about May through September I cycle in the morning to beat the heat. It's also just a great way to kickoff the day. Once it starts getting too dark in the morning, I have to switch it.

ETA: I used to cycle in the heat and it wasn't much of an issue if I was regularly out on the road as the temps were rising through the spring and into summer and I acclimated...for some reason though, it started bothering me after I turned 40. I'm still good to about 90* F, but any hotter than that, no way now. I still look back to a couple of years ago and wonder how the hell I could go out and ride 30 miles when temps were in excess of 100* F.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize how annoying the heat is when I run until I had to shift a few of my runs to the PM instead of AM. I also spent all winter long bundling up for runs, which I enjoyed surprisingly more than I thought I would.

I've found myself really making more of an effort to stick to my AM (like 4:30 am) runs during the week and it's right around 50F, which to me is PERFECT. I can still wear capris and a t-shirt or tank. It also helps because we tend to get PM thunderstorms and while I don't mind running in weather, I do mind running in lightning!

I would have killed for temperature dipping into the 50's or even 60's, unfortunately some places the average low is 70-74
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    kballsocc wrote: »

I would have killed for temperature dipping into the 50's or even 60's, unfortunately some places the average low is 70-74

Yeah. Not sure I'd be a fan of that. I mean, I'd do it if I had to, and 74 pre-sunrise would definitely be better than 74 in the afternoon sun. The pavement isn't as hot and everything hadn't baked all day. But by the end (and I'm only talking daily runs of about 3-5 miles most times) I'd bet I'd be soaked from head to toe and also super grumpy about it.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I'm a wuss, but for opposite reasons. Anything below 60 and I'm probably staying indoors, at least during the summer/fall. But to your questions...
    • Your body will adjust, so decide if you're being a wuss or if you actually struggle with the heat.
    • @sofchak had some good points, and I'll reiterate #1, #2, and #6 - they can make HUGE differences in how much you enjoy or suffer the activity.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Stay hydrated. Use electrolyte replacements if you sweat a lot.
  • cleesus
    cleesus Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yea like Iporter and sofchak said either pick exercises that arent as demanding, try to run in the morning or around night when the temperature is not as hot or slow down when exercising in the heat and stay hydrated.

You cant expect to push yourself as hard when its hot out, your body will eventually get used to the hotter weather and require you to hydrate more but just be careful. Dont want anyone passing or suffering from heat stroke
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I'm extremely heat intolerant but running outside is necessary to train for my races. So I make it a priority to get up early and just do it. If you really have trouble in the mornings, try doing your outside activities at night as the sun is going down.
  • fstrickl
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Thanks for you all your tips. I should mention, I’m not a runner :# . I prefer to do at home HIIT workouts and/or lifting. Since I don't have AC it can get just as hot inside as it does outside. I love the idea of going for a morning bike ride!

Thanks for all your suggestions, you've really given me some good tips! I think maybe dropping in at the gym would be worth it in the summer months.

I'm excited to see how my body and mind (sometimes the hardest thing) change if I stay committed to my fitness. I'm always looking for friends so feel free to add me if you'd like :)

I will say hiking in the heat is the one exercise I can tolerate, if only because when I am in the wild I'm as happy as a pig in mud.
  • fstrickl
    Options
    kballsocc wrote: »
    As a cold weather lover, the heat can be a real exercise killer. I lived in Houston one summer and I was pretty miserable. Even getting up early and hydrating before a run, I still ended up running in weather 80-90.

The only thing that kept me going was the company I worked at had pickup soccer twice a week during lunch. I love soccer so I would force myself to drink 3-4 waterbottles of water in the morning so I was hydrated enough to play in 90% humidity 90-100 degree weather.

Basically finding something that you love and doing with a team so you are more accountable for showing up.

Or switching to exercise indoors.

Oh man, I live in Alberta (read: dry dry dry) and humidity just kills me. Good for you for keeping up the activity in 90% humidity.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    If you're indoors with no AC, I would say aim a fan at yourself. Maybe get a dehumidifier for the room you're working out in. Also, cover the windows when the sun is shining directly through them to keep the room from heating up too much. I'd recommend not exercising during of the hottest part of the day (~2/3pm), even inside.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I grew up in St. Louis and hated the heat/humidity and just learned to love it. Figured the benefit of running was worth the sweat. Now living in Wisconsin and laugh when people complain about humidity. It's all relative.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I have no choice. According to my outdoor weather guage (in the shade), it is currently 102°. Just keep hydrated.
  • lionessroar1
    lionessroar1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I take meds that prohibit me from getting overheated, so my exercise is very early morning indoors and a walk later in the morning with a water bottle on me.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I rarely gets above the 90s (F) here, but it's humid. I don't tolerate heat well, nor do I like it.

But I can't move the workout indoors - I'm an on-water rower. Hydration is crucial. So is acclimating gradually as the temp rises over a few weeks. Sometimes I pour cold water on my shirt and hat to increase evaporative cooling. The gel-filled cooling scarves help. Sports drinks or other electrolyte replacement can be useful if you do longer workouts or sweat a lot. Pay attention to your coordination and clear-headedness, which can be early indicators of overheating. Take breaks.

If you use a heart rate monitor, be aware that heart rate tends to be higher for the same exercise in hot temperatures vs. cooler ones, and that even mild dehydration can raise heart rate for the same exercise, too. This means that HRM calorie estimates may be even wonkier than usual in hot weather.