Working out in the Heat

Options
2»

Replies

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:45 a.m. to go running while the rest of my house sleeps. As summer approaches it's already warm and sticky out but it's better than when it's sunny. this morning it was 66 and 100% humidity. I'm in the south (USA) so our weather in summer is terribly hot.
    Stay hydrated no matter when you work out and remember to take it slow. Heat can really do a number on your body and mind.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Dress for the weather, and get the activity in before it gets too hot. Morning is usually the best time for that. Right around sunrise.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Respect the heat - it can kill you if you aren't sensible.

1) Don't run if it's dangerously hot. Just don't.
    2) Run in early am, or in late evening.
    3) *Always* have an alternative-to-run plan to compliment your usual plan in case of bad weather: yoga, aerobic video, weights...whatever.
  • nhorton5
    nhorton5 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I moved from the UK to Florida and over the past few months have found that I can now comfortably run in the heat. Your body does acclimatize, however I run in the mornings and the latest I like to start my run is 8am if I am doing 6 miles. Anything longer I leave as early as I get up.

I run a loop and leave drinks outside my house so I can grab water if it's too warm. I am going to try introducing a camelbak to ensure I always have fluids, especially for longer runs. I dress for the weather as well. I hate my legs but have learnt to run in shorts on hotter days :)

Strangely enough I can cycle in the middle of the day and the heat doesn't bother me at all.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Get used to short exposure to the heat,like not running the air conditioning in the car. Sit outside, etc. As you get used to a hot environment the easier it will be to exercise in it.
  • ChaelAZ
    ChaelAZ Posts: 2,240 Member
    Options
    In AZ you need to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate and look to limit overall time for the workouts unless you are acclimated. If you feel dizzy or light headed you stop. Yeah, matches on court when it is 115 degrees suck.
  • cecekay19
    cecekay19 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The first thing is deciding to run either in the early morning or late night when it's cooler. I would probably do it in the morning and get up earlier as it can be rather sultry at night because of the Earth radiating all the heat back out after the day is over. Beyond that, you need to be concerned about dressing appropriately and being appropriately hydrated.

That means you need to start drinking water throughout the day so that your body is sufficiently hydrated. You cannot rely on one glass of water before running to make sure that you're sufficiently hydrated. Your urine needs to be pretty much clear. That will mean several glasses of water throughout the day, maybe the equivalent of 4, 5 or 6 bottles of water. some people will even go to 8.

Don't go overboard with the water without eating a balanced diet to give you the electrolytes you need. You don't need sugary sports drinks in order to replenish your electrolytes, you can just eat good food and have the water.
  • NGentRD
    NGentRD Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of insulation...warm is nice but it sucks too. I just drink room temp water, live in canada, and wear shorts all year long. Sometimes ill have a neck towel when i work outside.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,078 Member
    Options
    cecekay19 wrote: »
    The first thing is deciding to run either in the early morning or late night when it's cooler. I would probably do it in the morning and get up earlier as it can be rather sultry at night because of the Earth radiating all the heat back out after the day is over. Beyond that, you need to be concerned about dressing appropriately and being appropriately hydrated.

That means you need to start drinking water throughout the day so that your body is sufficiently hydrated. You cannot rely on one glass of water before running to make sure that you're sufficiently hydrated. Your urine needs to be pretty much clear. That will mean several glasses of water throughout the day, maybe the equivalent of 4, 5 or 6 bottles of water. some people will even go to 8.

Don't go overboard with the water without eating a balanced diet to give you the electrolytes you need. You don't need sugary sports drinks in order to replenish your electrolytes, you can just eat good food and have the water.

Endurance athletes doing workouts over an hour in duration may benefit from sugar or other quick carbs, and electrolytes, especially under challenging conditions. Required? Individual. Harmful in normal dosages? Only if diabetic or with other medical conditions. OP didn't initially specify workout duration. Not the case that no one needs "sugary sports drinks" (or equivalent) for best results.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    ChaelAZ wrote: »
    In AZ you need to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate and look to limit overall time for the workouts unless you are acclimated. If you feel dizzy or light headed you stop. Yeah, matches on court when it is 115 degrees suck.

I live in Far West Texas, same heat issues. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate... Dizzy, stop, find some shade, get some water into you. Most things in 115° suck. Was pulling weeds today in 98° heat, that was bad enough.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy working out outdoors, but I have to be smart about it.

- I try to go earlier or later in the day when the sun isn't as strong.

- Know my routes. I know which trails/tracks are more exposed to the sun in my area.

- Dress appropriately. I wear a sunvisor with a large brim, sunglasses, sunblock etc.

- Stay hydrated with water! I usually carry two bottles. One on me and I keep a frozen bottle in my car on those really hot days. By the time I'm finished with my workout it has melted some and cools me down.

- Most importantly I listen to my body. I slow down or stop when needed and workout at home.
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    cecekay19 wrote: »

Endurance athletes doing workouts over an hour in duration may benefit from sugar or other quick carbs, and electrolytes, especially under challenging conditions. Required? Individual. Harmful in normal dosages? Only if diabetic or with other medical conditions. OP didn't initially specify workout duration. Not the case that no one needs "sugary sports drinks" (or equivalent) for best results.

Don't worry, I am NOT a professional athlete or even close to it. And I don't run, I dislike running. I like to do a combination of various HIIT, strength training, or body weight workouts (yoga etc). Usually I work out for 30-45 min a day. I'm just looking to get in shape, and have a low tolerance for heat.

What I've gleaned from all the comments is I need to drink a hellovalot more water, and suck it up a bit. For me 28C degrees is awful, I can't imagine what 115F (48 C) is like! You who just live in that type of heat, never mind do any kind of moving, are all champions.
  • kaylee_henry
    kaylee_henry Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm from Arizona, so 100*+ lately. I workout indoors with my beachbody programs!
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Although it might sound extreme, I'd google what techniques armies use to exercise in the heat. They include things like acclimatising to the heat for two weeks with low to moderate exercise, regular consumption of fluids etc.

I'm not an expert so I would suggest that you do your own research. Dehydration, heat injury and heat stroke are all potentially life threatening conditions.
  • cecekay19
    cecekay19 Posts: 89 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Also hyponatremia. That is what happens when you take in too much water and not enough electrolytes, salt gets too low and that can cause damage as well. That's why I warned about going overboard with the water.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I stand corrected about no one needing it. Although quick carbs can be attained in other ways, I accede to the point.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    PAFC84 wrote: »
    Although it might sound extreme, I'd google what techniques armies use to exercise in the heat. They include things like acclimatising to the heat for two weeks with low to moderate exercise, regular consumption of fluids etc.

I'm not an expert so I would suggest that you do your own research. Dehydration, heat injury and heat stroke are all potentially life threatening conditions.

And when possible taking a break every 60 minutes or even more frequently in truly abusive heat.
  • 0ysterboy
    0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I live in Florida and love to run in the morning. The air is cool and the humidity is high. When I get home I am absolutely drenched from head to toe. Nothing makes you feel more like a successful workout.
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I know you said you don't like the hot, but what i like about summer is my body is much faster to warm up unlike the winter where i feel like it takes 30 minutes for my body to be at operating temperature..lol
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    I have no choice. According to my outdoor weather guage (in the shade), it is currently 102°. Just keep hydrated.

102 ?

Cold Snap, huh?

What's the windchill factor?