16/8 IF schedule- does it have the same health benefits as longer fasts?

Options
Does anyone know of any research on health outcomes specific to a 16/8 schedule as opposed to the other types of schedules? The basic question I want answered is if 16 hours daily is long enough to induce autophagy and the other health-protective and especially neuroprotective benefits of fasting. Weight loss is not my primary concern, although that would be nice too. I had genetic testing done and I am at high risk for Alzheimer's disease and I want to decrease my risk.

Links to research would be helpful- I am not having much luck with a standard Google search, but perhaps I just haven't yet figured out the best keywords yet.

Replies

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    No health benefits just meal timing that suits individuals.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I also have not seen any health benefits ever documented with any sort of legitimate study behind the claims. Some people find that eating only during a window of time makes it easier for them to stay at the calorie level they want. AFAIK, that is the only benefit.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    The only research I've heard about was for mice, sorry.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    jdog022 wrote: »
    zzzzia wrote: »
    You can read the complete guide to fasting by dr fung... full of references to medical studies.
    Another book about nutrition is deep nutrition... great chapter on vegetable/canola oil and links to inflammation

Fung is the biggest hack in the business. All kinds of crap followed by him selling you something. OP - read nothing by Fung.

+1.

Fung is a snake oil salesman and his "science" is a bunch of woo. He's a laughingstock amongst evidence-based researchers.

Quack-a-doodle!
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    It’s just a meal schedule. 16:8 is BS in terms of “benefits”
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    57iy56apqljc.jpg

Is this in the Infographics thread? If not, it should be.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Fasting (true fasting) has been around for thousands of years. It is done for religious/meditation reasons. For some reason people are fascinated with things from our ancestors and think they have hidden mysteries which the pseudo-sciences love to exploit.

I keep hoping a vow of silence diet starts and becomes popular... especially if it includes the internet.