Fighting PCOS

Options
Hi there,

I’ve recently been diagnosed with PCOS and it would be so helpful if someone else was to share their experience with this condition with me.

I’ve battled with my weight all of my life, starting at the age of 14 when I was underweight, now at 22 being overweight. I want to fight this now, so that I can get my weight under control and not let it take over my life anymore.. mentally and physically.

If anyone else is in my shoes, please share your story with me. It will be so highly appreciated.

All the best,
Emily

Replies

• missionpossible2013
    missionpossible2013 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think I was diagnosed about three years ago. Its a HORRIBLE diagnosis. Atleast, its something that you can live with. I have been prescribed Metformin 1,000 mg, it stopped the pain i was feeling in my ovaries. It is also meant to help with weight gain. I am also prescribed Spiralactone to help with fluid retention, and hormones. I am also prescribed something to help me have a period. If I had been diagnosed sooner then maybe my weight wouldn't be so out of control now. I have not mastered this condition and am still learning how to help myself. Cardio with weight training, low carbs, following my prescriptions and prayer has worked the best. I had to give myself the ok to mess up on eating right and then start right back up with smart decisions. It definitely takes time.
  • emjanebooth
    emjanebooth Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your experience!

I was diagnosed a few weeks ago but the only advice I was given by my GP was to get my weight under control. It's so disheartening because every time I step on the scales I've gained another few lbs, even when I'm trying really hard to exercise and eat well. I'll keep at it and hopefully I start seeing some results soon
  • TaraLynne1579
    TaraLynne1579 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed years ago. I have 2 beautiful children and struggled with infertility. The struggle is real and it is mentally challenging, but keep doing all the right things to take care of you and it makes all the difference. I’m still over weight but working hard as always to be the best me I can. You can do it
  • LucilleSpringfield2018
    Options
    Diagnosed 16 years ago. Still unable to get pregnant. Adopted some older now I have grandkids! Currently at my heaviest and need to drop the weight.
  • MSPRebel
    MSPRebel Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS and hypothyroidism last September. I had been dealing with horrible hot flashes (not of menopause age) and hair growth where it didn't belong. It wasn't until my periods got wonky that I went in. Like you, my endocrinologist pretty much looked at me and said that losing weight would cure these issues. For the PCOS I was prescribed Spirolactone. He didn't offer any advice on diet, but have heard from multiple people to get off the carbs. Since PCOS also means we're insulin resistant, limiting carbs would only help.

That's all I got! I wish you the very best of luck!

Nicole
  • TheOnyxStar
    TheOnyxStar Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed when I was in 8th grade (I'm 20) I've been pretty controlled on birth control. Though recently my current formulation stopped working and the new one wasn't doing very good either. I have developed Type 2 diabetes. My insulin resistance was major and I used to have all the icky brown patches but those have gone away for the most part.

I've tried Metformin but it really didn't agree with me. I now take a daily injection to help with my insulin regulation (I haven't been faithful but it helps). I stopped my BC cold turkey after the first week of my new formulation, I hadn't had a period in about year (I took continuous and it was amazing).

Besides the weight and facial hair, I've been lucky enough to not have major effects of this on my life (I'm not trying to conceive so I get there can be psychological affects on those who are), just the general annoyance of some of the side effects {like periods so heavy you have take like 3 showers a day...}

I've always struggled with weight. I hit my heaviest last July when my PCP put me on Glipizide as a Metformin alternative, made me so hungry I gained 10lbs!! Haven't been able to get it off since.

I recently started taking a supplement called Ovisatol (Spelling escapes me). It has natural hormones that help with insulin, ovulation, etc. It's produced in the ratio that these hormones occur in your body. Google it, and you should get some good websites talking about it. There are those who it say it doesn't work but it doesn't hurt to try, that's what I say. I'm a big proponent of having naturalistic and traditional medicine working together.

A good thing is making sure you have the right doctors to help you. My PCP is great for helping with my mental health and diabetes. With my new development in the BC department, I've decided to go see my mom's GYN hopefully she can help me get this under better control.

This was a long post, but I hope you enjoyed the read. PCOS is hard to tame, and it takes a while to find the right thing that works. But you can get there.
  • TheOnyxStar
    TheOnyxStar Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your experience!

I was diagnosed a few weeks ago but the only advice I was given by my GP was to get my weight under control. It's so disheartening because every time I step on the scales I've gained another few lbs, even when I'm trying really hard to exercise and eat well. I'll keep at it and hopefully I start seeing some results soon

Yeah, not the best advice considering it's like 10x harder. If the scale causes you issues like it does me. Ditch it.
    I get depressed and just say "Forget it" and go on a binge, then I become obsessed..It's a vicious cycle. Recently, I decided to ditch the scale. I had my mom hide it from me, and now I only focus on how I feel. My clothes are looser, so that's a plus. I don't do measurements so I'm in the process of moving my goals from weight numbers to clothing sizes and seeing where that takes me mentally.
  • LucilleSpringfield2018
    Options
    First day on my diet and it looks like an unsupervised 6 year old filled out my dinner log. Well start over tomorrow. Does anyone else have problems with their husbands picking up fast food for dinner or bringing home a box of your favorite nono snack every time you start to diet?
  • missionpossible2013
    Options
    OMG YESSSSSSS!!!! Those hot flashes were horrible. The facial hair, missed periods, infertility, mood swings, and Everything else is a lot to deal with. I use to take Hydrochlorothiazide (maybe misspelled), worked very well for the swelling. My new doctor changed me to Spirolactone for hormones i guess. I liked the HTZ better though. I also have to cut carbs. Im hungry all day and I get very nervous and anxious over what to eat so i don't mess up. I want these symptoms gone! !! I cant have hair loss, i already have discolored skin. I dont want to have to take any other symptoms. Sorry for complaining

quote="MSPRebel;c-41965842"]I was diagnosed with PCOS and hypothyroidism last September. I had been dealing with horrible hot flashes (not of menopause age) and hair growth where it didn't belong. It wasn't until my periods got wonky that I went in. Like you, my endocrinologist pretty much looked at me and said that losing weight would cure these issues. For the PCOS I was prescribed Spirolactone. He didn't offer any advice on diet, but have heard from multiple people to get off the carbs. Since PCOS also means we're insulin resistant, limiting carbs would only help.

That's all I got! I wish you the very best of luck!

Nicole[/quote]

• Rtomblinson17
    Rtomblinson17 Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Hello ladies. I was just diagnosed today with pcos and was diagnosed 3 years ago with hypothyroidism and am really struggling emotionally and mentally with all of it. My husband and I are really wanting children and I feel this diagnosis is just horrible. I have been working out for the past 2 months and have gained 6 pounds... so frustrating. But I'm starting vegan or as close to vegan as possible as I have been advised to give it a try. I don't go back until July for a follow up on my progress but for now my gynecologist says to try and exercise and diet and see what progress is made. Best wishes to you all. It's nice to read your comments and know I'm not alone.
  • hoffmankristanicole
    hoffmankristanicole Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 19 and I am 37 now. I am on 2000 mg of Metformin. I originally was on aldactone as well, but I don’t take it now. I have found the most success in watching my dairy and REALLY watching my sugar intake. I gave up bread and pasta years ago. I don’t even remember the last time I ate an actual potato. Lol! I would suggest seeing a dietician familiar with PCOS. I did, she helped me formulate a plan and set up my MFP goals and I am down 50 lbs (I have another 50 to go). The sugar cravings are out of control with PCOS. I still struggle with them everyday.

As for pregnancy, we started trying at 25. We were sort of laissez faire about it, at least for the first two years, and then we started fertility. It took us seven years, 5 IUI’s (failed), 2 IVF ( one failed/1 success) to begin our family. Thankfully, my insurance covered half of each treatment. Then we got pregnant immediately after with our third (the IVF success was twins) naturally. Our last baby, recently turned one. She was just a smidge of clomid. It was like once my body figured it out, it was like oh, I can do this, let’s do it again! We are done now though. Now that I’ve lost this weight and I’m so careful with my sugars, my period is like clockwork now, of course.

The facial hair is irritating, I’m always so careful, even though I have blonde hair, I don’t want a goatee. Skin tags. Hair loss...I’ve started using minoxidil and making sure to use a gentle dandruff shampoo (google PCOS/hair loss/blocked follicles). Cystic Acne went away when I gave up *most* dairy.

Oh, fitness. Lifting. I had a trainer who told me once it should be a 2/1 ratio. She had PCOS as well and lost 120+. She said to every two lifting sessions/yoga/Pilates classes, you should do one cardio. I do Zumba because it’s fun and I don’t get bored. Right now, my life is crazy so I’ve fallen of the fitness wagon but I actually have myself scheduled to go back tomorrow!

I know this is long! If your GP isn’t well versed in PCOS, you need to see an endocrinologist or someone who is. Try seeing a dietician. Watch carbs/sugar (especially sugar)/dairy. Fitness is important, even though I’m slacking.
  • missionpossible2013
    Options
    Hi! I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 19 and I am 37 now. I am on 2000 mg of Metformin. I originally was on aldactone as well, but I don’t take it now. I have found the most success in watching my dairy and REALLY watching my sugar intake. I gave up bread and pasta years ago. I don’t even remember the last time I ate an actual potato. Lol! I would suggest seeing a dietician familiar with PCOS. I did, she helped me formulate a plan and set up my MFP goals and I am down 50 lbs (I have another 50 to go). The sugar cravings are out of control with PCOS. I still struggle with them everyday.

As for pregnancy, we started trying at 25. We were sort of laissez faire about it, at least for the first two years, and then we started fertility. It took us seven years, 5 IUI’s (failed), 2 IVF ( one failed/1 success) to begin our family. Thankfully, my insurance covered half of each treatment. Then we got pregnant immediately after with our third (the IVF success was twins) naturally. Our last baby, recently turned one. She was just a smidge of clomid. It was like once my body figured it out, it was like oh, I can do this, let’s do it again! We are done now though. Now that I’ve lost this weight and I’m so careful with my sugars, my period is like clockwork now, of course.

The facial hair is irritating, I’m always so careful, even though I have blonde hair, I don’t want a goatee. Skin tags. Hair loss...I’ve started using minoxidil and making sure to use a gentle dandruff shampoo (google PCOS/hair loss/blocked follicles). Cystic Acne went away when I gave up *most* dairy.

Oh, fitness. Lifting. I had a trainer who told me once it should be a 2/1 ratio. She had PCOS as well and lost 120+. She said to every two lifting sessions/yoga/Pilates classes, you should do one cardio. I do Zumba because it’s fun and I don’t get bored. Right now, my life is crazy so I’ve fallen of the fitness wagon but I actually have myself scheduled to go back tomorrow!

I know this is long! If your GP isn’t well versed in PCOS, you need to see an endocrinologist or someone who is. Try seeing a dietician. Watch carbs/sugar (especially sugar)/dairy. Fitness is important, even though I’m slacking.

I'm sad, it took 7 years for you to have babies. Im 34.. no kid
  • JennG122
    JennG122 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi Emily! I was diagnosed with borderline PCOS almost 10 years ago. I show some characteristics of having PCOS, however my blood work always comes back normal. I decided to go about this the natural way (only taking natural supplements). I am off BC and I have lost nearly 50 pounds. My cycle is getting back to normal. I love this app because it's so easy to count calories, carbs, macros (if you do that), etc. It really helps me keep on track with my diet & exercise. I do about 60 mins cardio 5 times a week and I also do strength training. Like you I have also struggled with my weight and this app makes it so easy.
  • JennG122
    Options
    I also eat a very clean diet, watch the amount of carbs and sugars I intake. I eat mostly lean proteins (chicken). I can send you a sample of a little meal plan that I use. I have cut out everything fried and absolutely no fast food! My cheats are protein cookies/ protein cup cakes. I have come to really enjoy them lol. Mostly everything I eat is organic and natural. Lots of nuts, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, peppers, spinach, broccoli throughout the day. Water intake is also very important. A lot of losing weight is what we eat and the other part is making sure that we get enough exercise. If you ever need any help, let me know!
  • JennG122
    Options
    First day on my diet and it looks like an unsupervised 6 year old filled out my dinner log. Well start over tomorrow. Does anyone else have problems with their husbands picking up fast food for dinner or bringing home a box of your favorite nono snack every time you start to diet?

Be strong and keep your goals in mind!
  • JennG122
    Options
    Hello ladies. I was just diagnosed today with pcos and was diagnosed 3 years ago with hypothyroidism and am really struggling emotionally and mentally with all of it. My husband and I are really wanting children and I feel this diagnosis is just horrible. I have been working out for the past 2 months and have gained 6 pounds... so frustrating. But I'm starting vegan or as close to vegan as possible as I have been advised to give it a try. I don't go back until July for a follow up on my progress but for now my gynecologist says to try and exercise and diet and see what progress is made. Best wishes to you all. It's nice to read your comments and know I'm not alone.

The emotional part has always been a major struggle for me. Hugs to you!!