Waist to hip ratio

Options
kq1981
kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
I’m halfway to my ideal weight having already lost 15.2kg the past 12 months (slow going but I did it!) I’m feeling a little frumpy and bloated and have worked out my waist to hip ratio after visiting WHO and I’m at high risk of obesity related illness (although much less at risk than when I started) When did you notice a change in waist measurements? Unfortunately I know genetics plays a part (amount other things), just wondering when your waist started shrinking a little more than everywhere else. I have looked at other similar posts from earlier this year and years before but just wanted your experiences and a little more insight. Thanks :)

Replies

• Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    Like you said, it's genetics. Since January I've gone down 14lbs or 4 belt sizes, but anything lower than my hips and my arms and boobs hasn't really changed. Which would tell me I've lost it mostly from my waist, but not really anywhere else. Luck of the draw I'm afraid.
  • DanielleTake2
    DanielleTake2 Posts: 51 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    My waist to hip ratio is almost 1:2 (my hips are 40", my waist is 24") To the point where I look kind of ridiculous. My mom looks exactly the same... there's nothing I can do about it. I just keep trying to build muscle and focus on my health.

• kimothyschma
    kimothyschma Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Genetics. I have really narrow hips for the rest of my body, and loose skin on the stomach from weight loss and 2 pregnancies. 5’5” 129 lbs, BMI 21.5, waist 29.5” hips 36.75”. Just barely in the “normal” category after losing almost 70 lbs. I wish I was more of an hourglass shape. Eventually I’d like to work on body recomposition, but for now I’m just working on accepting it.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I basically lost from the top down. my chest went down noticably within 2 wks, then the waist, then hips and thighs. I lost fairly quickly, so everything was noticable by a couple months.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Definitely genetics... I've lost 3" from my waist (31 to 28) but only 1" from my hips (40 to 39).
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    Options
    http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0177175

"Our findings indicate that WHR should not be relied on in clinical practice for obesity identification.
    [...]
    In conclusion, our data indicate that in this study WHtR is the best predictor of the five models compared for obesity characterisation in adults"

• ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My hip to waist ratio was better before I got into the normal BMI weight range. I kept losing more from my hips as my weight went down and not from my waist. 5’ 8” - 37” hips and 30” waist. I think I’m healthier at a lower weight. The ratio would say I was healthier at a higher weight, which is stupid.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    ITUSGirl51 wrote: »
    My hip to waist ratio was better before I got into the normal BMI weight range. I kept losing more from my hips as my weight went down and not from my waist. 5’ 8” - 37” hips and 30” waist. I think I’m healthier at a lower weight. The ratio would say I was healthier at a higher weight, which is stupid.

This is why waist to height is a better start to watch.