Calorie control, can someone help, please? :)

Options
CiaraKirby
CiaraKirby Posts: 4 Member
edited May 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi, just downloaded MFP and I can't wait to see the results. Currently on slimming world and after losing 1.5 stone, I've hit a wall. Getting quite bored with it. I don't want to lose momentum when I've done so well. I wanted to give calorie control a go. I've put in what I've ate today, and I've gone over by 200. Didn't have the app until this evening so I wasn't as aware, but saying that, If I do go over my calories, by reducing the next day, will that even me out to keep me on track? Might sound like a silly question but I'm trying to figure all this out. Thanks.

Replies

• CiaraKirby
    Options
    That's great to know! And from experience, will the simple calorie control work, or is managing the nutrients very important also?
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Some people find that things work better for them when I track my calories looking at the week as a whole. To use MFP in this way, go to Reports > Weekly Digest. This is what mine looks like today.uss7r71c96hu.png

Using MFP in this way, you can see for each week how you're doing and what you need to do to keep your weekly goals, whether that means a bit more exercise or cutting more calories or seeing that you can afford that little treat you're craving.
  • CiaraKirby
    Options
    Oh that's brilliant, thanks so much !! :) Excited!
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    PokeyBug wrote: »
    Some people find that things work better for them when I track my calories looking at the week as a whole. To use MFP in this way, go to Reports > Weekly Digest. This is what mine looks like today.uss7r71c96hu.png

Using MFP in this way, you can see for each week how you're doing and what you need to do to keep your weekly goals, whether that means a bit more exercise or cutting more calories or seeing that you can afford that little treat you're craving.

FYI you only get this if you are signed up to Premium.

• angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

I have that same view on my weekly report and my account is free.

I get this every week too sent to my email and my account is free
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options

Actually, everyone gets this. From the web page, click Reports > Weekly Digest.
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    No I get it and Im not signed up for premium
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    If I'm over by 200 I'll intake 100 less for 2 days instead of 200 in one. Spread it out it makes it easier.
  • Nativestar56
    Nativestar56 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Actually, everyone gets this. From the web page, click Reports > Weekly Digest.

I didn't know we could see weekly reports! Thanks!

It's a bit hidden, I had to click on reports => export data and only then did weekly digest pop up as an option. I've never wanted to export my data so I didn't know it was there.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options
    If I'm over by 200 I'll intake 100 less for 2 days instead of 200 in one. Spread it out it makes it easier.

If you chose 0.5 pounds weight loss per week as a goal, that would mean your calorie goal is estimated to be 250 calories lower than the calories you'd need to maintain your current weight. (If you chose a faster rate, it would be even more than 250). The implication is that if you went 200 over goal, you're still in a calorie deficit for the day, so if you decide to simply ignore it, you'll still lose a tiny bit of weight (may take a few days to show up on the scale ;) ). So, that's an option, too, without much sacrifice - forget about it for the partial day and go for your new goal tomorrow.

One of the beauties of calorie counting is that you can begin to understand what your choices mean, and make rational decisions. For example, if I'm losing a pound a week on average (500 calorie daily deficit), and I decide to eat 1000 calories extra on my birthday (woohoo!), I've delayed reaching my ultimate goal weight by two days. That might well be worth it, for a special occasion, as long as I don't do it too often. :)

Frankly, I think trying to make up for over-goal days after they happen is mostly a mistake, as it can set up a restrict-then-binge cycle. If I know in advance I'm going to have an over goal day, I might eat slightly less for a few days in advance, maybe get a little extra exercise, certainly eat lightly the other meals the day of the event, in order to "bank" calories to "spend" on the special meal. In this scenario, the special meal takes the place of a compensatory binge, and leaves me even up. If I went over goal unexpectedly while losing, I pretty much just got back on plan the next meal/day, and didn't worry about it.

Just another possible option! :)
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    If you're over 200 calories, do some jumping jacks and burn them off.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    If this is your first day I wouldn't try to compensate for the 200. That is not really a good way to start, IMO. It might create a "hurry up" mindset while you need to move slow and steady. I think you should give yourself a week to adjust and chalk the 200 up to a learning curve. Just like @annpt77 said the worst that happens (if you logged accurately) is that you will lose less. Going over on your calories a little does not mean a weight gain.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options

By the way, what's a "Soupsie"? Is that like a snack?
  • CiaraKirby
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice! Really enjoyed my first proper day, found myself making healthier decisions, so feeling good!