COFFEE ADDICTION

Options
i am a coffee addict. i can't help it. i usually have it every day, and sometimes 2x a day if i'm craving it. i have 3/4 cup coffee (cold) 3/4 cup skim milk, 6packets splenda, and sometimes sugar-free-zero-calorie caramel flavoring. it tastes like heaven. actually, it's more like a mcdonalds frappe, which was my first addiction. the only calories come from the milk, so it can't be that bad for you, right? (and yes, i know the chemicals in splenda and whatnot are horrible for you)
what are the effects of coffee on my diet? am i killing myself with caffeine? and is there a better solution to artificial sweeteners? (I definitely need the zero calories =P )

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I don't care. I have 1-2 cups a day, with a tbsp of creamer and two packets of splenda.

Someone wrote the other day on here...it's my new motto:

You can take my chocolate, you can take my ice cream, you can take my chips...but I will straight up knock someone out if they try to take my coffee!!
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    You can take my chocolate, you can take my ice cream, you can take my chips...but I will straight up knock someone out if they try to take my coffee!!

THIS.

I also adore coffee. The taste, the smell, the sense of peace I get from it....it's just the bees knees. I take my coffee black, though, so no calorie worries.
    All of this said, I am admittedly biased, but coffee does have a lot of health benefits, even for heavy drinker (5-7 cups/day). There's some bad stuff, too, but I ignore that.

Check this out:
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/coffee-new-health-food
  • lukybug
    lukybug Posts: 209
    Options
    I know caffeine is addictive and I get headaches if I don't have 1 cup of coffee a day and the people around me fear for their lives if I don't get my coffee too. In moderation, I think caffeine is okay. As for an alt. to Splenda...Truvia baby! It's made from the Stevia plant so it's natural. I love it.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    The taste, the smell, the sense of peace I get from it....it's just the bees knees.
    YES! It's just such a comfort to drink it.
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    i am a coffee addict. i can't help it. i usually have it every day, and sometimes 2x a day if i'm craving it. i have 3/4 cup coffee (cold) 3/4 cup skim milk, 6packets splenda, and sometimes sugar-free-zero-calorie caramel flavoring. it tastes like heaven. actually, it's more like a mcdonalds frappe, which was my first addiction. the only calories come from the milk, so it can't be that bad for you, right? (and yes, i know the chemicals in splenda and whatnot are horrible for you)
    what are the effects of coffee on my diet? am i killing myself with caffeine? and is there a better solution to artificial sweeteners? (I definitely need the zero calories =P )

Mmmmnn where can I find this sugar free zero calorie caramel flavoring? ?? I use lots of splenda too...I don't think you're going to hurt your diet :)
  • ckncj
    ckncj Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have had coffee everyday and was still able to have successful weight loss. It's all about moderation and making adjustments where you can. I used to LOVE the French Vanilla creamer, OR half/half with sugar. I've switched to Splenda and 1% milk....
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia when I need sweetness but can't afford sugar. You can get a box of packets for $2.45 on Amazon. With free shipping. It's a lot less harmful than Splenda and still very sweet :-)
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    You are fine. I have to get my two cups of coffee in and have it with nonfat hazelnut creamer. I count the calories, enjoy the caffiene rush and go about my day. there are alot of things that will kill me before coffee.

enjoy! :drinker:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I will never give up my coffee. I have coffee every morning. But it does raise cortisol levels. If you are conditioned to coffee then the morning coffee has no effect on cortisol levels. An afternoon one will. Yet an evening cup doesn't effect dropping cortisol levels at all. Interesting.

But it hasn't effected my weight loss at all.
  • cameralinds
    Options
    The caffeine in the coffee works as a diuretic so it almost pulls the water out of your body. Which is not a good thing. For every 8 ounces of coffee you drink, you should drink twice as many ounces of water, ON TOP OF your recommended 8 glasses.

This is coming from someone who got a part time job as a Barista to save money on her coffee addiction. (I get a free drink for each shift I work!) Which really, has helped tame it significantly. ;)
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    Just make sure that you drink water throughout the day as well. Nothing wrong with a coffee addiction.
  • SweetP88
    SweetP88 Posts: 79
    Options
    I drink coffee EVERYDAY!! In fact I drink mulptile cups!! Once I have my first 2 cups I won't have another until I drink at least 2 glasses of water so my water intake is still good!! It has not hampered my weight loss at all.....in fact I read somewhere that it can actually help you lose weight. I could be wrong about that but who cares....drink it!!
  • jbing07
    jbing07 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love coffee! I have cut back on caffeine, but am not able to give up on the coffee, so I started to buy caffeine free. I use a light french vanilla creamer, which only has about 25 calories, HEAVEN!!!
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    I drink a lot of coffee. A lot. If you're worried about artificial sweetners, try weaning yourself off starting with 1 packet. Try that for ...weeks even. I drink mine with 2% milk and now if I try Coffeemate, I can't drink it because it's too sweet!
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Information on coffee diuretic properties was revised, the general consensus is now that although not as hydrating as pure water, it doesn't remove any extra water.

There's no need to give up coffee. I am healthy and drink 3-4 cups a day. Now a year ago I was drinking around 15 a day, average. That was unhealthy, especially on the days I had over 25 (yes, they did happen)!
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options

Coffee is not bad for you! It has lots of health benefits that people are just now realizing. Plus a 12 oz cup is only 4 calories. Milk is not bad for you either. It helps with muscle repair if you've been working out and studies have shown it's helps to reduce belly fat. Drinking essentially two cups of coffee and two cups of skim milk a day are actually good for you! Keep it up and be happy!
  • rose_mortem
    rose_mortem Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Mmmmnn where can I find this sugar free zero calorie caramel flavoring? ?? I use lots of splenda too...I don't think you're going to hurt your diet :)

I like DaVinci Gourmet sugar free caramel syrup. i got it from sam's club.
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    If I didn't have coffee I'd never have the energy to work out in the mornings. Besides, it's one of the inalienable rights of humanity isn't it? Life, liberty and the pursuit of the perfect light roasted Kenyan private reserve.
  • michelleherinckx
    Options
    You are not alone haha :) I used to work for a coffee shop and I have been completely addicted ever since. I stick with Americano's if I am getting coffee from a shop or just regular coffee with some dairy-free coconut/vanilla creamer at home. I think as long as it is done in moderation, and as long as you aren't adding in a ton of sugary syrups or calorie-heavy creamers you are fine.