Considering an Apple Watch - Thoughts?

Options
kcm105
kcm105 Posts: 50 Member
I think I want an Apple Watch, but I wanted to get some opinions on MFP integration from anyone who's already bought one.

I currently have a Fitbit One that has worked really well for me for 6 or 7 years now, along with a Polar A300 w/chest strap that I use for aerobic exercise only. I let Fitbit sync with MFP for steps, and I manually enter exercise using the calorie burn from Polar. At one time I had the Polar synced as well, I can't remember why, but I didn't care for how it worked and found it easier to just enter the exercise and calories myself.

I'd like to use the Apple Watch to replace my Fitbit for steps, and pair it with my chest strap for actual exercise. I am not sure if I'll have the option of entering exercise separately if I do it this way, but if it all syncs the right way, I don't really care either way.

Any experience you all have with any of this or just general MFP integration would be great. I don't want to spend $400 and end up putting it in the drawer because it doesn't do what I want!!!

Replies

• ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    The AW integration with my MFP is ok, not great. It either gives you calories for steps or exercise in MFP, not both.

I am in maintenance and I was under eating for a couple of weeks, so I manually added more calories to MFP to help. I really wish it would sync better so I would have more confidence in the amount I’m eating.

I think th Watch is accurate with how many calories I burn for most of my activities, it just doesn’t sync with MFP very well.
  • kcm105
    Options
    ITUSGirl51 wrote: »
    It either gives you calories for steps or exercise in MFP, not both.

So can you choose to only sync steps and not exercise, even if you still wear (paired with a chest strap) for exercise?
  • kcm105
    Options
    400$? u can get a series 1 for 150 right now. the series 3 is useless to me.

The only reason I'm even considering one is because the series 3 will work independently of your iPhone. I understand that might not be a feature some people care about, but for me it's essential.
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    kcm105 wrote: »

So can you choose to only sync steps and not exercise, even if you still wear (paired with a chest strap) for exercise?

Not really. It will give you calorie adjustments for steps as long as you don’t use the exercise setting for activity.

I walked a lot one morning around the mall. MFP gave me 150 calorie adjustment for the steps. Later that afternoon I went outside for a long, brisk walk and used the exercise feature on the AW. It will track the distance, average speed, average heart rate and active calories. It synced the exercise walk with MFP and I got about 200 calories then MFP took away all the step calories I got that morning.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

The only reason I'm even considering one is because the series 3 will work independently of your iPhone. I understand that might not be a feature some people care about, but for me it's essential.

It theoretically could. However, the series 3 doesn't sync with myfitnesspal directly (via the cell connection), but instead only syncs when you are in bluetooth range of your phone.

Social updates, however, do happen in real time with the series 3.
  • kcm105
    Options

Not really. It will give you calorie adjustments for steps as long as you don’t use the exercise setting for activity.

I walked a lot one morning around the mall. MFP gave me 150 calorie adjustment for the steps. Later that afternoon I went outside for a long, brisk walk and used the exercise feature on the AW. It will track the distance, average speed, average heart rate and active calories. It synced the exercise walk with MFP and I got about 200 calories then MFP took away all the step calories I got that morning.

Well that's annoying....
  • kcm105
    Options
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »

It theoretically could. However, the series 3 doesn't sync with myfitnesspal directly (via the cell connection), but instead only syncs when you are in bluetooth range of your phone.

That's fine. I'm not worried about the MFP part working independently of my phone, just regular texting, etc.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    If you have an Apple phone, than an Apple Watch is fun. You start feeling very 007 pretty quickly
  • laurieblanco
    laurieblanco Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I got my Apple Watch about 2 weeks ago...like it for the ability to use it for texting and taking phone calls...for exercise I am still getting used to it and think I liked my Fitbit blaze better...(can't reclaim it I gave it to my son...LOL)