Should I increase my calories to start losing again?

Options
I currently weight 133.4 and have since 7/4. I cant lose anymore weight and I work out almost everyday. I do either insanity or a circuit training session with weights. I take one day a week off, where I walk or just rest. I eat a high protein diet and my calories are set at 1360. Here is an average of my calories for the last 2 months.
6/19- 1314
6/26- 6/30- 1334
7/1- 1407
7/8- 1474
7/16- 1666
7/21- 1412
7/29- 1350
8/6- 1375
It has been suggested that I increase my calories but the week of 7/16 I gained weight (3 lbs). Im scared to increase my calories, but willing to give it a shot...what should I increase them to? I have it set at 1360 right now. Is there any other advice how I can kickstart my weightloss again?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    When I got to the last 10-15 pounds, I plateaued and had to set MFP at a 0.5 pound/week loss, which got things moving again. Try it- you will still be eating at a deficit so (theoretically) you should not gain any weight, you will just be losing more slowly.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I think the first thing you should do is get rid of that fear. Stress hormones can really cause your body to do a lot of weird stuff like put on weight! Try some meditation and leave the scale alone for two weeks. I know that sounds like a loooooong time for someone used to regular weigh-ins. It might be worth it to just do what you're doing, make the best choices possible and go from there. Also, instead of changing caloric intake, change the way you're burning those calories. Play tennis if you don't already.... jump on a trampoline.... do cartwheels across the yard.... play freeze tag. Do something that's fun and active but that is also a stress reliever. Play in the rain... scrub the kitchen floor with a toothbrush.... vacuum the living room for 2 hours if you gotta. Just do something different with the body you have. I know that there's a lot of debate about the terms 'life style change' here, but as one post put it.... what you eat is your diet, how you live your life is your lifestyle change. Maybe your diet is ok, but you need a change of pace elsewhere. It's not always about food. You seem to really have a good handle on what to eat and when. Try to carve off pounds another way.....? Just my thoughts. Hope it helps!
  • c_ramey
    c_ramey Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I just did the same thing....going to see what happens! I just changed my goals to .5 per week. I was staying at the same weight for a couple of weeks! Hoping it works! Again you should not gain but if you are working out that much (similiar to me) we might need to start increasing!

I am going to try for 2 weeks and see what happens! Worth a shot!
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I increased mine by 200 calories a day!! we'll see what happens. But technically you shouldn't gain weight unless you go over your maintenance goals. I know it's more complicated than that, which is why you should stick with it.
  • Lucy1421
    Lucy1421 Posts: 14
    Options
    How many calories are you burning with exercise? You should not go below a net of 1200. If you are you are risking your body going into a "starvation mode". We need 1200 calories just to function really. And if you are doing that much exercise you may be too low. How tall are you by the way?
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I think the first thing you should do is get rid of that fear. Stress hormones can really cause your body to do a lot of weird stuff like put on weight! Try some meditation and leave the scale alone for two weeks. I know that sounds like a loooooong time for someone used to regular weigh-ins. It might be worth it to just do what you're doing, make the best choices possible and go from there. Also, instead of changing caloric intake, change the way you're burning those calories. Play tennis if you don't already.... jump on a trampoline.... do cartwheels across the yard.... play freeze tag. Do something that's fun and active but that is also a stress reliever. Play in the rain... scrub the kitchen floor with a toothbrush.... vacuum the living room for 2 hours if you gotta. Just do something different with the body you have. I know that there's a lot of debate about the terms 'life style change' here, but as one post put it.... what you eat is your diet, how you live your life is your lifestyle change. Maybe your diet is ok, but you need a change of pace elsewhere. It's not always about food. You seem to really have a good handle on what to eat and when. Try to carve off pounds another way.....? Just my thoughts. Hope it helps!

You're awesome! I'm picturing playing freeze tag... holy cow I haven't done that since I was a kid!
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Have you been eating your exercise calories back? It sounds like you're burning quite a bit, so if you aren't eating them back, that could be the reason you're not losing... Otherwise, yes, set MFP to figure your calories for .5 pound/week loss and go with that.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Estimating your maintenance at 1862 calories (14 calories x weight) before exercice. I would eat about 1450 calories and 100% of your exrcices calories. Those last few pounds are really hard to drop.
  • hpygirl64ColleenLinder
    Options
    Great question. Not sure if your wearing a heart rate monitor to track your expenditures while doing Insanity but it burns a lot and you should be eating back most of those on the days you do them. I would up your calories and zig zag them on the days you don't do that workout and give it 2 weeks.... don't even get on the scale those days or you will get that anxiety and then see what shows up. Are you eating every 2 1/2 to 3 hours? Are you getting enough protein. I have my friends change their ratios from what MFP gives because they are much higher on healthy carbs and not enough protein to create lean muscle mass. Gotta fuel that fire!

Feel free everyone to friend me for some calorie free food for thought left on my page each day. Have a fitabulous day! Colleen
  • kellieprindle
    kellieprindle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It's not a popular opinion, but if I plateau I fast through it. However, I always allow myself Sunday to eat whatever I want...never had a problem with a starvation mode, but that is just me and might not work for you. I wouldn't work out those days though.

1628192.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • DianaK78
    DianaK78 Posts: 55
    Options
    bump!
  • kimmerc1331
    kimmerc1331 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Okay, thanks for all the feedback. To elaborate, Im 5'4 and I do eat most of my exercise calories back. I wear a HRM so I know pretty much what to log for exercise cals burned. I actually love how I feel when Im done working out, so the exercise Im doing does release my stress (mostly caused by 2 little ones at home). Im going to set MFP for .5 and see what happens. Stay tuned...and thank you for the advice. :)
  • queenstatus
    queenstatus Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you burning with exercise? You should not go below a net of 1200. If you are you are risking your body going into a "starvation mode". We need 1200 calories just to function really. And if you are doing that much exercise you may be too low. How tall are you by the way?

DO YOU MEAN 1200 CALORIES BURNED? WHAT IS THE WEIGHT ON THAT? THANKS FOR THE POST
  • Lucy1421
    Lucy1421 Posts: 14
    Options

DO YOU MEAN 1200 CALORIES BURNED? WHAT IS THE WEIGHT ON THAT? THANKS FOR THE POST

I mean TOTAL CALORIES CONSUMED minus CALORIES BURNED BY EXERCISE (THAT'S WHAT SHOULD BE AT LEAST 1200 CALORIES) I am 5'9" and I can't lose with more than about 1300 NET calories especially as I get closer to goal. So in other words I do best entering in 1200 calories and eating my exercise calories and not going much under or over that each day. But that's just me!
  • cbond74
    cbond74 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Check out the links, both give great information! Maybe they can help you out!! Sounds like you're doing all the right things but you may just need to tweak your calories a bit.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/wbond/view/eat-more-lose-more-really-129327

http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html
  • kimmerc1331
    kimmerc1331 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Cbond- those were great articles, especially the second one by Natalie. Thank you!!! :)