What's your favourite smoothie?

Options
VanVanDiane
VanVanDiane Posts: 1,387 Member
I've just invested in a bullet smoothie maker and wondered if anyone had any favourite recipes? How do people find protein powder works in them? I had a juicer years ago but ended up donating it as it was so fiddly and time-consuming to clean...

Replies

• nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I don't use protein powder, but I like:

orange juice, banana, frozen fruit of some kind, tofu
    vanilla soy milk, banana, peanut butter, cocoa powder, and a little sweetener
    vanilla soy milk, banana, nutritional yeast, flaxseed
  • LummiBay
    LummiBay Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have a vita-mix that I use nearly every day. My recipe for a 500 calorie smoothie is: 1 frozen banana, 8 oz. frozen blueberries (I live in blueberry country!), 1 scoop of protein powder, 8 oz. plain homemade yogurt, 1 tbs cacao powder, and 8 oz of water. Delicious - I have it nearly every day for breakfast!
  • lionessroar1
    lionessroar1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    GNC Protein Powder, a banana, frozen fruit, cup of Simply Smart fat free milk, cup of Powerade Zero, just using the old Cuisinart and voila, breakfast with an energy buzz. 395 calories.
  • VanVanDiane
    Options
    GNC Protein Powder, a banana, frozen fruit, cup of Simply Smart fat free milk, cup of Powerade Zero, just using the old Cuisinart and voila, breakfast with an energy buzz. 395 calories.

A lot of the recipes I've found online mention using almond milk (which I've never tried as I'm not keen on almonds) - are there any health benefits to this? I use skim milk normally as well, never tried GNC powder though
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    The only things that get blended in my house are
    1. Coffee, ice, water/milk, protein powder and coconut butter
    2. Coffee, boiling water, coconut butter/oil, collagen powder
    3. Protein pancake mix
    4. Soup
  • The_Canadian_Apex
    The_Canadian_Apex Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    My favourite is a protein pb chocolate banana smoothie. Sooooo good. I have it every morning for breakfast
  • saviola1232
    saviola1232 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use vanilla pure protein. I get it at sams club. I like the taste and it’s not too high in calories for the amount of protein. I blend a scoop of it with a frozen banana (sometimes half), ice, and a cup of unsweetened almond milk. I usually add cinnamon, cocoa powder, and/or pb2.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and jelly

4 oz almond milk
    8 strawberries
    10 g peanut butter
    1 scoop vanilla whey
    small handful of spinach
    a few shakes of cinnamon
    squirt of vanilla extract
    ice

Green Orange
    3 oz almond milk
    1 whole orange (peeled)
    handful of spinach
    1 scoop vanilla whey
    ice

Peach Pie
    4 oz almond milk
    20g frozen peaches (defrosted)
    1 scoop vanilla whey
    1 scoop dry instant oats (same scoop from whey tub)
    a few shakes of cinnamon
    squirt of vanilla extract
    ice

• crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Frozen margarita :)

Seriously though, I like spinach, a little kale, half an apple, some frozen strawberries, cucumber and some chia seeds.
  • lalee115
    lalee115 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Yay, I love this thread! I made my first ever smoothie last week. It was a variation on a recipe I found online.

2c spinach
    1c almond milk
    1/2c frozen blueberries
    1/2c frozen cherries
    1/2 of a banana
    1TBSP cocoa powder
    1 tsp vanilla

Yesterday, I made a variation with peanut butter. I omitted the blueberries and cherries and added a TBSP of peanut butter instead. So. Stinking. Good!

I'm thinking of making some and freezing for later. I read you can put it in the fridge the night before and it will be defrosted enough to drink the next morning. Anyone had luck with this?
  • alcomer
    alcomer Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    1c spinach
    1c almond milk
    1/2c frozen blueberries
    1/2c frozen mixed fruit (pineapple, mango, strawberries)
    1scoop GNC protein powder (vanilla)
    1tbsp flax seed meal
    1 cup SKYR Icelandic Yogurt

Sometimes I add 1/2 frozen banana - this is very filling too!
  • VanVanDiane
    Options
    My favourite is a protein pb chocolate banana smoothie. Sooooo good. I have it every morning for breakfast

I found this recipe online: 2 scoops DailyBurn Fuel-6 chocolate protein powder
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk, soy milk or skim milk
    1 banana
    2 tablespoons peanut butter
    3-5 ice cubes

Is that similar? I'm wondering if I could substitute Nutella for the PB ... :smile:
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I like basic smoothies. Just water, protein powder, greens powder, frozen strawberries, banana, and silken tofu
  • The_Canadian_Apex
    The_Canadian_Apex Posts: 572 Member
    Options

I found this recipe online: 2 scoops DailyBurn Fuel-6 chocolate protein powder
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk, soy milk or skim milk
    1 banana
    2 tablespoons peanut butter
    3-5 ice cubes

Is that similar? I'm wondering if I could substitute Nutella for the PB ... :smile:

Not quite. That sounds good though as well.

I use 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder, a frozen banana, 1 serving of pb, a serving of cocoa, approx 150g of cottage cheese (good protein source), and some splenda
  • mikaila96
    mikaila96 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I rarely add protein to smoothies because I always add yogurt- I’m allergic to bananas and need to add creaminess some other way, so yogurt it is. Anyway, I really enjoy strawberry, raspberry, and pineapple, (in roughly a 2:1:1 ratio) with a bunch of spinach shoved in as well, plain or low-sugar vanilla yogurt, and some water to thin it out so I can drink it through a straw. Seems a little more fruit-heavy than some of the others here, but my fruit totals about one serving total, not full servings of each.
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I just make a very simple chocolate smoothie with 1 banana, unsweetened plain almond milk (although you could use any kind of milk) a couple of spoons of plain Greek yogurt and some cocoa powder. The banana gives it some sweetness and the yogurt some protein.
  • dra760
    dra760 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    sprouts vegan powder, half or quarter of an avocado, cinnamon, water, bubs collagen protein & sometimes 1/2 banana.
  • dra760
    dra760 Posts: 55 Member
    Options

A lot of the recipes I've found online mention using almond milk (which I've never tried as I'm not keen on almonds) - are there any health benefits to this? I use skim milk normally as well, never tried GNC powder though

you may want to try out full fat coconut milk. one brand is thai kitchen. i do not use milk but this is a good alternative.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options

I suspect it's mostly used for a decent texture/smoothness for a tiny amount of calories. There's not really much to almond milk, and there's not really any specific health benefits I don't think. I usually use water if i'm making one with silken tofu (which serves a similar function to greek yogurt used in some other recipes -- texture and protein) but skim milk should be fine too.
  • VanVanDiane
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone - my blender is arriving tomorrow, can't wait to try some of them out :smiley: