Fighting weight loss in sobriety

Options
Hi everyone. I am new to MFP. I've been sober for a couple years now and I gained a lot of weight in recovery. :s I lost around five pounds without much effort, but my weight has been stable for awhile now. Some of my family members also have Type 2 diabetes and I don't want to end up with that. Looking for friends to stay on track with :)

Replies

• dra760
    dra760 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am new to MFP. I've been sober for a couple years now and I gained a lot of weight in recovery. :s I lost around five pounds without much effort, but my weight has been stable for awhile now. Some of my family members also have Type 2 diabetes and I don't want to end up with that. Looking for friends to stay on track with :)

welcome! congrats on your sobriety! i was just thinking how i gave up drinking 6 weeks ago. i didn't think i'd be able to last this long. i stopped drinking because one night i had way too much to drink and felt awful! then realized I didn't want to experience that feeling again. Plus I think my cravings for drinking stemmed from craving sugar. So i took a step back and started to watch my food intake as well. Plus I felt if i was going to change my eating habits drinking should go too. I may go back to drinking at some but for now I'm feeling pretty good. I think it keeps you younger longer. I sleep better and better hydrated. It also helps that my boyfriend has been sober for close to 5 years now.

glad you're here!
  • HealthyAndSober2018
    HealthyAndSober2018 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    dra760 wrote: »
    welcome! congrats on your sobriety! i was just thinking how i gave up drinking 6 weeks ago. i didn't think i'd be able to last this long. i stopped drinking because one night i had way too much to drink and felt awful! then realized I didn't want to experience that feeling again. Plus I think my cravings for drinking stemmed from craving sugar. So i took a step back and started to watch my food intake as well. Plus I felt if i was going to change my eating habits drinking should go too. I may go back to drinking at some but for now I'm feeling pretty good. I think it keeps you younger longer. I sleep better and better hydrated. It also helps that my boyfriend has been sober for close to 5 years now.

glad you're here!

Thanks! Glad to hear that there's someone else going through the same thing. Six weeks is really good!