Leftover Calories

Options
When I have calories leftover should i take the additional deficit? Sometimes I'll occasionally eat a larger serving of ice cream or have some creamer with my coffee if I can afford it but im wondering if I should.

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I usually stack those extra calories together for a day later in the week when I want something more calorific that doesn't normally fit in my limit (yum, chicken wings and fries!) That does depend on what your calorie goal is and how many extra calories you're talking about, though.
  • natethebait
    natethebait Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It's usually 300-400 leftover. But I'm just not hungry even though I haven't reached the limit.
  • serindipte
    Options
    What is your calorie goal and how often are you coming in that far under?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's usually 300-400 leftover. But I'm just not hungry even though I haven't reached the limit.

Peanut butter
  • serindipte
    Options

Peanut butter

Peanut butter and an apple is my go-to, as well.
  • natethebait
    natethebait Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »
    What is your calorie goal and how often are you coming in that far under?

1850 is my goal and it's usually a daily occurrence
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I would tell you that you need to make up the difference if you are absolutely sure you are logging accurately. It could be you are closer to 1850 than you realize.

You don't need to be under 300 and 400 calories a day without making it up if that is accurate so I will put it that way.

Describe how you log. Do you use a food scale to weigh all non-liquid items you eat? When you are not sure of the DB entry do you always pick the lowest or do you compare several to find a middle ground?
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    If I'm not hungry I don't eat, you wouldn't if you weren't trying to lose weight so why would you otherwise. I take the deficit and enjoy the weight loss.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    If I'm not hungry I don't eat, you wouldn't if you weren't trying to lose weight so why would you otherwise. I take the deficit and enjoy the weight loss.

Yes you would that's how we get to be overweight eating too much or eating just because it's meal time out with friends etc if I only ate when hungry I would hardly ever eat
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »
    fr33sia12 wrote: »

Yes you would that's how we get to be overweight eating too much or eating just because it's meal time out with friends etc if I only ate when hungry I would hardly ever eat

Yes eating too much (too many calories that is) I got overweight, but at the end of a day if I'm not hungry I wouldn't eat 300 or 400 calories (like the OP is asking about) for no reason.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I tend to go for an average as my goal. Helps now I know that I can see weekly average on the app. So some days I may only eat 1200 calories like on a busy work day but other days I eat about 1600. Average goal is 1400 as I am short and closer to healthy weight range.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    If you're set in MFP for a fairly aggressive loss rate to start with (say, 2 pounds a week when you weigh 250 pounds or less), then significantly under-eating your calorie goal on a regular basis is a bad idea: Unnecessary health risk. If you're set for a quite slow loss rate for your current weight (say, 0.5% of body weight per week or less, if you're still more than 50 pounds overweight), or the gap between goal and consumption isn't a routine thing, then you're probably OK taking the extra calories as deficit.

If you've been losing weight long enough (4-6 weeks) to have a decent handle on your average weekly loss rate, and that's staying at 1% of your body weight or less (but lower than that if you're within 50 pounds of goal), then that's a more reliable guide than your weight loss target.

You don't have to eat up all the "extra" calories the same day, BTW, it's usually OK to save them up for a special treat or meal not too far in the future.

Regardless of any of the rules of thumb for healthy weight loss, if you start feeling weak or fatigued, adjust your eating upward. But note: Just because you don't feel weak or fatigued doesn't mean you're not undereating. I got my intake too low by accident (inaccurate calorie needs estimate) and felt just fine . . . until I didn't. It took weeks to recover. Don't go there.

Best wishes!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I save them because there is ALWAYS days for me when I end up going a little bit over, so it averages out. But I'd say that it really depends on your eating patterns - if you never go over, having a deficit that is too high can be unhealthy.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I like to save them up for a once a week splurge. I just keep track of them on my calendar and allow myself half of them for something really amazing: such as a friend egg and brisket BBQ burger!
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I save those calories for cocktails out with friends!