MFP daily comment

Options
I am not posting daily, but now and then, I like to check the nutrition and calories I consume. I weigh approximately 172 and am registered to consume 1100 daily. Yesterday I had a very bad day and consumed 1,463 calories, to which MyFitnessPal's end of day comment was: "If you'd eat like this every day, you'd weigh 170.6 in 5 weeks." Whaaaaat???!!!

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand your question/problem.

Taking the numbers at face value, 1463 calories is still a calorie deficit for you, so you will still lose weight eating that much. Albeit rather slowly. 1100 calories is simply a more aggressive deficit for faster weight loss.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    ursking wrote: »
    I am not posting daily, but now and then, I like to check the nutrition and calories I consume. I weigh approximately 172 and am registered to consume 1100 daily. Yesterday I had a very bad day and consumed 1,463 calories, to which MyFitnessPal's end of day comment was: "If you'd eat like this every day, you'd weigh 170.6 in 5 weeks." Whaaaaat???!!!

I believe the popular consensus here is that weight projections are nonsense. I would ignore it.

1100 is too low for someone at 172. You probably ate close to what you are supposed to eat yesterday which is why the projection still showed a loss even if it is not accurate.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    1463 is below your maintenance calories, so you were still in a deficit. And as everyone else has said, unless you’re smaller and older you shouldn’t be eating less than 1200 calories.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I think it also takes into account your history - how many calories you have been eating and how your weight has changed. I didn't always keep my weight up to date and I noticed when I would update the calculation changed (obviously it had to be lower because of the base weight, but it also seemed to be a bigger loss projected).
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I'll keep on trying to schedule healthily. I aim at 1100 (I am only 5 feet) and usually end up around 1250 unless I schedule very severely. Anything over 1250 makes me gain, especially if some of those calories were found in ice cream.

Would you be willing to open your diary? 1250 shouldn't be making you gain, even at that height, and especially at your current weight.

Do you weigh and track *everything* that you eat?
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I'll keep on trying to schedule healthily. I aim at 1100 (I am only 5 feet) and usually end up around 1250 unless I schedule very severely. Anything over 1250 makes me gain, especially if some of those calories were found in ice cream.

Would you be willing to open your diary? 1250 shouldn't be making you gain, even at that height, and especially at your current weight.

Do you weigh and track *everything* that you eat?

Or eat lots of sodium high foods? Processed foods and fast foods items to often are loaded with sodium.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    If OP is trusting herself then she wouldnt need to post a question at all.

Since she has, the long term successful users probably do have some good answers, despite your insulting assumptions about them.