I switched to high fat diet and the pounds started melting off?!

mikehurley4000
mikehurley4000 Posts: 13 Member
edited May 2018 in Food and Nutrition
Has anyone else realized that a high fat diet helps them loose weight?

I’ve hit several plateaus in my weight loss journey, but now I eat a minimum 40% fat 35% protein and 25% carbs.

I always read about protein protein protein, it’s the most important thing. But high fat low carb seems to work for me?

Replies

• mikehurley4000
    @malibu927

I’ve been in the same deficit for 3months, so why does the body hold on to more water when there is more carbs then fat in the diet?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    notebelow wrote: »
    Sounds like you're creeping in to LCHF or Keto diet - works really well for some people (self included) as your body will turn to the fat for energy over carbs when they aren't readily available.

I've been following this way of eating since February; I'm the lightest I've been in 10 years and still going.

A good resource is the keto subreddit, they've been an invaluable source of examples and encouragement.
    yes it will turn to fat(dietary fat) for energy instead of carbs
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2018
    @malibu927

I’ve been in the same deficit for 3months, so why does the body hold on to more water when there is more carbs then fat in the diet?

Maybe an explanation by a biochemist will make more sense to some people. From his post in the Aspartame thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/39419611/#Comment_39419611
    Sugar are saccharides and are also known by their more scientific name of carbohydrates. Most scientific names have actual meaning and carbohydrate isn't an exception. All carbohydrates share the same basic chemical make up. They are carbon (carbo-) that is hydrated (-hydrate). So all carbohydrates (all sugars) have the molecular formula of carbon plus water times some number x so CxH2xOx.

For example glucose is C6H12O6.

This is aspartame.

1200px-Aspartame.svg.png

Also can be written as C14H18N2O5. Not a sugar. It has nitrogen, it has a lot more carbon than it has oxygen and fewer hydrogens than an equivalent sugar.

How about maltose? C12H22O11. Yes, that is a sugar.

How about starch. Starch is a bunch of sugars linked together (also known as a polysaccharide) and with each link a water molecule is subtracted. So starch has the formula of (C6H10O5)x which if you notice is just C6H12O6 minus one water for the linkage times the number of C6H12O6 molecules linked together.

So now, in theory, you can answer for yourself if something is a sugar by just looking at its molecular formula.

But yeah, all carbohydrates are sugar. Be they in the form of a potato or pasta or table sugar its going to end up the same after digestion. Something you'd never think if you just read online articles and CNN editorials which seem to act like sugar and carbohydrates are two completely different things for some reason.

So when you cut carbohydrates from your diet, you're cutting out a significant amount of water since every carbohydrate molecule is about half carbon and half water.
  • mikehurley4000
    @AnvilHead @nvmomketo

Thank you!! Appreciate the info. I’d be interested in trying Keto, maybe once I have the low carb on lockdown I’ll push it more into Keto territory :)
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    No. I have the opposite experience. I easily blow my deficit eating fatty foods like peanut butter, nutella, avocado, cheese, ice cream and certain red meats. Hmm, 4 tbsp nutella or tilapia with a huge pile of veggies? The second choice fulls me up way more.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I find weight melts off when I have more than a little to lose and have a deficit. I also find I can keep a deficit easily using a variety of different strategies, but slightly higher protein (30-35%), slightly lower carbs (30%), and moderate fat (30%) is what worked best for me when I first started (since I was at low calories, 1200, the higher protein was basically what was needed to hit my .8 g per lb of goal weight goal).

I'd say that your macros are low carb (25%), high protein (35% is high, especially if you aren't super low cal), and moderate fat (I'd consider 25-40% moderate fat).

When I tried LCHF, I did around 50% fat, and many do more (keto is usually more).

Anyway, it's likely the higher protein that is satiating, or simply finding a way of eating which you enjoy, which is great. Making the deficit easy to keep is definitely key.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Has anyone else realized that a high fat diet helps them loose weight?

I’ve hit several plateaus in my weight loss journey, but now I eat a minimum 40% fat 35% protein and 25% carbs.

I always read about protein protein protein, it’s the most important thing. But high fat low carb seems to work for me?

Glad you are finding success with a LCHF diet. It’s a great tool for helping achieve a calorie deficit!