Weight Loss Surgery; a double-edged sword

Options
PiccoliD
PiccoliD Posts: 3 Member
I am a former VSG patient from 2007. This weight loss surgery was for cosmetic reasons only. I wasn't extremely obese and wanted the easy way out. That's how I see it now but didn't back then. After losing all this weight, I couldn't eat for months and I started feeling skinny and sexy and I was able to dress sexy. Well this was a trigger for me. Drinking wine was way easier then eating. To make a long story short, with God's help, I have 9 years sober. My addiction transfer was to sugar and carbs. I started grazing and have gained all my weight back.

Weight loss surgery is "A double edged sword". Here's how I see it; you need to lose weight because of high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, which can lead to heart issues. There is also joint pain, etc.... What got you there in the first place i.e., food addiction? It is a symptom of something deeper. If this isn't dealt with, addiction transfer is inevitable. Remember, all addictions, if not dealt with, will lead to death.

My lesson: There are no "easy-way" outs. Hard work it what it takes to be successful in a healthy mind and spirit. Having a relationship with God has been a big part of my alcohol recovery so I am going to work this journey the same way.

Question: Has anybody else experienced the VSG in this way? Am I alone?

Mahealani

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have not heard of people drinking excessively post surgery, but the rest of your story rings a bell. Weight loss surgery can be a helpful tool, but potential patients need to be in the right mindset and educated before the procedure. It seems the medical industry is starting to realize that and there is now more pre and post op monitoring.

This thread is currently taking place in the debate section, you may find it interesting and want to participate:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10661273/more-people-need-to-get-educated-on-weight-loss-surgery#latest

Welcome to MFP~
  • PiccoliD
    PiccoliD Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I will repost this on there.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My post surgery support group asked the medical team what effect alcohol has on the post surgery patient.

It turns out we’re not just cheap dates, alcohol goes straight to our heads too. I can testify to this. I was very woozy after my first white wine post surgery. Drink with care.
  • HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    @anuwine I can attest that I believe in this whole heartily. After my surgeries, I didn’t feel whole anymore as a person so I tried to find things to fill those spaces. There was the time, I started running (mind you, I hate running) but I ran 7 days a week for 5 plus miles. The conversations that I had with myself while I was running, crazy. And then one day I stopped (kinda like how Forrest Gump did) and I haven’t ran since that day. Then there’s time when I would “chew and spit” but only items from the dollar menu. Seriously. I would sit in my car and just eat, I always wanted the first bite to be so good but it never was because I already knew I wouldn’t be really eating it. I felt very alone in those moments. I would cry hot tears on the drive home and feel so drained when I put my head on my pillow to go to sleep. My mind always seemed to going. I was always thinking about tomorrow when today was starting. I think we all have our vices. We just have to find a good balance.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I have not heard of people drinking excessively post surgery, but the rest of your story rings a bell. Weight loss surgery can be a helpful tool, but potential patients need to be in the right mindset and educated before the procedure. It seems the medical industry is starting to realize that and there is now more pre and post op monitoring.

This thread is currently taking place in the debate section, you may find it interesting and want to participate:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10661273/more-people-need-to-get-educated-on-weight-loss-surgery#latest

Welcome to MFP~

It's actually fairly common:

http://scienceline.org/2015/01/alcoholism-after-gastric-bypass-is-it-in-your-mind-or-gut/

OP, thank you for sharing your story. I do think that some see it as an easy way out, and if you've read the comments in the other thread, then you know that opinion is found on both sides of the table (those who have had it and those who haven't). I do suspect that the emotional and mental aspects are currently being taken more seriously in the preoperative sessions. I know here, there is a requirement for counseling. Of course, it's easy to fall back into those patterns.
  • lozenger1984
    lozenger1984 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing @anuwine

I'm at the start of my VSG journey and terrified I will screw it up by returning to all my bad habits (emotional eating, binge eating etc).

Do you have any advice having had your experiences?
  • croz1018
    croz1018 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing @anuwine

I'm at the start of my VSG journey and terrified I will screw it up by returning to all my bad habits (emotional eating, binge eating etc).

Do you have any advice having had your experiences?

I will be 6 months post op VSG on the 26th. I have heard of many people having issues with alcohol or other addiction transferring. I personally am not worried about it. I educated myself through my surgeon, PA, nutritionist, support group and the internet prior to ever making the decision to have surgery. My surgery was a tool to put on the path to eating the right way. Learning portion control and changing my life to include physical activity. I am truly happier than I have ever been in my adult life, from the inside out! I am down 69 pounds, 4 clothing sizes, I've run 4 5k's since my surgery, I am exercising regularly, I have created a Saturday morning activity group with my friends of all athletic abilities so that we can get together and move, I meal prep, I make better decisions. My cholesterol and depression meds have been cut in half. My resting heart rate has gone down 19bpm. I truly believe that surgery can be an effective tool, if you educate yourself & follow your surgeons plan. I realize it's early in my journey, but I truly believe in this tool for people who want to be healthy and learn a new lifestyle.
  • MotherTruckerKeto
    MotherTruckerKeto Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    anuwine wrote: »
    I am a former VSG patient from 2007. This weight loss surgery was for cosmetic reasons only. I wasn't extremely obese and wanted the easy way out. That's how I see it now but didn't back then. After losing all this weight, I couldn't eat for months and I started feeling skinny and sexy and I was able to dress sexy. Well this was a trigger for me. Drinking wine was way easier then eating. To make a long story short, with God's help, I have 9 years sober. My addiction transfer was to sugar and carbs. I started grazing and have gained all my weight back.

Weight loss surgery is "A double edged sword". Here's how I see it; you need to lose weight because of high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, which can lead to heart issues. There is also joint pain, etc.... What got you there in the first place i.e., food addiction? It is a symptom of something deeper. If this isn't dealt with, addiction transfer is inevitable. Remember, all addictions, if not dealt with, will lead to death.

My lesson: There are no "easy-way" outs. Hard work it what it takes to be successful in a healthy mind and spirit. Having a relationship with God has been a big part of my alcohol recovery so I am going to work this journey the same way.

Question: Has anybody else experienced the VSG in this way? Am I alone?

Mahealani

I had an upright banded gastroplasty in 1988 as I was morbidly obese and was told I wouldn't be around for my kids if I didn't do something and fast. I did it as I too thought it was the only way out and the physical and mental aspect of it all has been more than it was ever worth. Anemia, vomiting after eating too much, etc., etc., I turned to worthless junk food as a way to eat & get enough calories a day to survive. For me it was a Coke first thing in the morning with a bag of potato chips and then stuff like mashed potatoes, corn bread, etc, "easy foods to eat" since I have about a 4 oz stomach. Very bad idea. I know your pain, I know how this all must sound to people. Smarter now and getting rid of that last 35 pounds or so that I never did in the first place.

Wish you the best in the journey.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I am two years out from a VSG. I am also a food addict, secret eater, and binge eater. How do I binge with a sleeve? Easy....I eat all day long. I can't eat a ton but I can eat once an hour. So I decided to go back to therapy and work on my food issues AGAIN. The biggest thing is realizing you have the problem and taking care of it.

I've read several stories about people switching addictions once they have surgery and alcohol was a high one on the list. It's so important to try and conquer the mind aspect because that is where I struggle the most. It's a battle I go through every single day. I can confidently say - if I didn't work out the way I do - I'd be gaining weight. Thankfully I'm only 5lbs up from my lowest but it's a daily battle. Food consumes my thoughts and that's why I'm in therapy.