Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

More people need to get educated on weight loss surgery.

Livematthew25Livematthew25 Posts: 27Member Member Posts: 27Member Member
Weight loss surgery is not the easy way out. If you think it is, you have been lied to. There is a very long approval process and a very long adjustment period after. There can be pain, sickness and follow-up surgeries afterwards not to mention comments made in ignorance by people who have no clue what you go through emotionally, physically, spiritually and finacially. All of this just to get you a little closer to being ready to diet and EXERCISE for the rest of your life just like everyone else or gain it all back! There are no free rides!! Surgery is a tool not a free ride!! I put this under debate because I know a lot of people are against getting the surgery.

Replies

• WonderfullyNikkiWonderfullyNikki Posts: 5Member Member Posts: 5Member Member
    I agree to the effect that weight loss surgery can not remove any emotional factors connected to overeating and binge eating.
  • L1zardQueenL1zardQueen Posts: 4,517Member Member Posts: 4,517Member Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Yachts need bling. That's what bariatric surgery is really for.

My surgery was done where medicine is publicly funded. All of my previously medicated chronic conditions are in remission. Where are the yachts in my scenario?

My dentist owns a Bentley, no lie.
  • seltzermint555seltzermint555 Posts: 8,101Member Member Posts: 8,101Member Member
    I think a lot of people (myself included) are easily swayed by anecdotal info about WLS. I also think that now it has become confusing with all of the different types of WLS. I remember 15 or so years ago it was used as a last-ditch effort for super mega obese people. Now I know women who weigh maybe a little over 200 lb and get lapband surgery like it's Botox or something...it is advertised on billboards around town with 50 doctors performing various WLS. I do understand that it is something to be taken seriously and it's not "the easy way out" but unless you really take the time to research it (which I haven't, honestly)...meh.
  • JeromeBarry1JeromeBarry1 Posts: 8,503Member Member Posts: 8,503Member Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    We have farmers and mechanics doing just as well. The difference is doctors and surgeons can’t advertise and their rates are publicly negotiated.

http://www.thejournal.ie/doctors-ireland-3457857-Jun2017/

I know it's focused on Ireland, but it's typical of all countries with socialized medical care. Their doctors emmigrate to other wealthy countries, their country brings in doctors from less wealthy countries.

Is it really bad that this happens? I can't say it is, but it does seem sad that a young Irish, or a British, German, or Canadian, doctor feels forced to run away from his or her home country to seek appropriate remuneration.