What the TOFU

gypsypoet
gypsypoet Posts: 4 Member
I am wanting to incorporate more vegetarian meals into my diet, only eating meat if I’m just absolutely craving it or need the protein yada yada. Anywho, I love a good stir fry & I know I can use mushrooms to make it “meatier” but I had some that was made with tofu that was absolutely amazing. I’ve tried & tried to cook tofu but fail miserably. I use plates & paper towels to drain it, am I not getting it dry enough or is my skillet not hot enough, too hot...? Any vegetarians or vegans out there that can help!?

Replies

• gypsypoet
    gypsypoet Posts: 4 Member
    Also, any scrumptious vegetarian or vegan recipes please share with me!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited May 2018
    Buy the right texture for the recipe.

I had to make sure my third recipe was a hit or hubby was going to refuse it entrance in our house.

This was the final foolproof recipe.

https://pin.it/7fmq24ntnki6rt
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited May 2018
    This has milk and eggs, just giving you the heads up. The protein of choice is chickpeas. I love a little lemon zest with my chickpeas.

https://pin.it/4bid2zdpv63gqe
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »

I had to make sure my third recipe was a hit or hubby was going to refuse it entrance in our house.

Yum. Saved. Thank you. I do usually bake mine but not with cornstarch. Interested to try it as I've had good success with cornstarch in a pan.

OP, here's a very simple and very healthy recipe that I'm currently obsessed with. It's delicious and has lentils for the protein.

Lemony Lentil and Greens Soup

How I usually cook tofu:

Open the package, slice it about half an inch thick, and bake in a 350 oven for about 25 minutes. I don't even drain it. Then I cube it, cover it in whatever sauce I'm using, and combine it with the rest of my meal. I read somewhere that it absorbs the sauce better after it's been baked and that seems to work for me.

Here's a lovely sauce:

Chinese Peanut Sauce
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited May 2018
    This video was useful to me when I first failed at making tofu taste good (I still prefer seitan as a protein source, though).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhQqfw8UAUY
  • BecomingMoreAwesome
    BecomingMoreAwesome Posts: 150 Member
    edited May 2018
    I don’t usually bake or cornstarch the tofu for a stir fry, but I do use super firm or extra firm tofu for that one. I also use firm or extra firm tofu when I make tofu & chickpea curry from the Moosewood Restaurant Family cookbook, with really delicious homemade fake naan (I’m way too lazy to make real homemade naan, and I like the quick fake naan here: http://www.lilvienna.com/easy-no-yeast-naan/ better than stuff from the store).
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,600 Member
    If you want a firmer texture on your tofu, boil the whole block for a few seconds. Drain, dry and then cube for stir frying.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »

Yum. Saved. Thank you. I do usually bake mine but not with cornstarch. Interested to try it as I've had good success with cornstarch in a pan.

OP, here's a very simple and very healthy recipe that I'm currently obsessed with. It's delicious and has lentils for the protein.

Lemony Lentil and Greens Soup

How I usually cook tofu:

Open the package, slice it about half an inch thick, and bake in a 350 oven for about 25 minutes. I don't even drain it. Then I cube it, cover it in whatever sauce I'm using, and combine it with the rest of my meal. I read somewhere that it absorbs the sauce better after it's been baked and that seems to work for me.

Here's a lovely sauce:

Chinese Peanut Sauce

Was just looking at this and feel like I worded it to make it sound like I bake it in the package! I'm sure nobody would make that mistake, but just to clarify, I don't. I meant to say I don't even PRESS it. I take it out of the water, slice into half inch pieces, lay out on a cookie sheet with my silicon baking mat and then bake.

• jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Freeze the tofu for a few days, then thaw it out and use it. It makes a WORLD of difference. Changes the whole texture. I will only use tofu this way!
  • DuckDuckMongoose
    DuckDuckMongoose Posts: 28 Member
    Boca burger, morning star and qourn have great vegan and vegetarian “meats” all located in the frozen isle. I use the boca burger vegan patty’s instead of beef with chopped up Portabella mushrooms (cooked), morning star has a really great versatile selection like Mediterranean chickpea burgers, tomato and basil, griller burgers, chicken strips amazing buffalo chicken nuggets. Also qourn has the best burger patty alternative if you can find it.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Go hit up Asian supermarkets and ask them for advice. I never realized that tofu came in so many options....my local Korean grocery store has 15 different tofu's. They can also help with how to cook the different varieties.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,600 Member
    VUA21 wrote: »
    Go hit up Asian supermarkets and ask them for advice. I never realized that tofu came in so many options....my local Korean grocery store has 15 different tofu's. They can also help with how to cook the different varieties.

I am dubious of this advice. It's similar to walking up to the cashier or shelf filler at the supermarket how to use the stuff in your shopping cart. You might get lucky if you happen to talk to the owner or the person who orders stock.
  • campurban
    campurban Posts: 8 Member
    I freeze my water packed tofu before use, thaw and the texture is firmer then press it and marinate then I bake it to a golden brown , then eat as is or use in a stir fry as I like my tofu on the done side.
  • cwebster509
    cwebster509 Posts: 14 Member
    My favorite tofu is the one from Trader Joe’s I believe it’s the high protein tofu and it’s not in water like all the other tofu out there. I find you don’t need to press it and the texture is much more firm. I also cut my tofu into thin strips and either pan fry or use my air fryer. I season with salt and pepper and then add my sauce after it’s cooked to a texture I like. I convinced my family it was chicken one time