What the hell do I eat!!!

Options
Sir3am
Sir3am Posts: 19 Member
This is beginning to really grind me down! I am 33 years old 5ft 11”. I currently weigh 245 lbs and my goal weight is 200-210. Now to my problem. I don’t have a clue about what size portions of what to eat. I know what’s healthy or not but what’s good to eat for weight-loss may be different. I have looked around online and saw a lot of post that contradict each other so I dunno what to do.

If someone could give me advice on what to do that would be great, preferably someone who has been in my situation and lost weight.

I have been going to the gym for an hour a day, but I seem to only drop 1lbs a week if I’m lucky. Feel free to reply here or message me. Thank you

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Portion control - we have tried to weigh everything, but with 3 people at home, how does it work? Is there an easy way for portion control? Do I pack everything into different size containers before dishing up?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It's the other way around, so no wonder you're confused.

MFP tells you how much to eat to lose weight, and you weigh out portions of the various foods you would like to eat.

No foods are in themselves healthy or unhealthy. Too much or too little, is what's unhealthy.

So no foods are "good to eat for weightloss".
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Portion control - we have tried to weigh everything, but with 3 people at home, how does it work? Is there an easy way for portion control? Do I pack everything into different size containers before dishing up?

Use the recipe builder input all your ingredients and weigh the finished product put that has how many it serves then weigh out your portion and put that as how many servings you had
  • Sir3am
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »

Use the recipe builder input all your ingredients and weigh the finished product put that has how many it serves then weigh out your portion and put that as how many servings you had
    Thank you I’ll have a look at that but I’m confused on what’s the recommended serving size per gram to input for each ingredient?
  • Sir3am
    Options
    Eat food you like in portion sizes that allow you to lose weight. And some fruit and veg cos health.

Pre logging is useful for learning your portion sizes.

1lb per week is a good rate of loss when you only have 30lbs to lose.

What different could I do to increase that 1lb to 2-3lbs per week?

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Sir3am wrote: »
    Eat food you like in portion sizes that allow you to lose weight. And some fruit and veg cos health.

Eat less. But you shouldn't be aiming for faster weight loss as you don't have that much to lose.
  • Sir3am
    Options
    Sir3am wrote: »

Eat less. But you shouldn't be aiming for faster weight loss as you don't have that much to lose.

I feel like I do as all the weight is in my gut. I look pregnant haha!

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    There are no ratios or formulas that will make weight loss faster. You could literally eat anything and lose weight as long as you maintain a calorie deficit (look up twinky diet :) ). For health reason, eating only twinkies is not good so it is best to strive for a balance. I personally target my protein intake first and let everything else fall where it may (I do monitor fat to be sure I get enough as well). With only 30 pounds to lose, one pound per week is about all you should target. Any more and you risk losing too much muscle with the fat. Now would also be a great time to start resistance training of some sort to help preserve the muscle.

Good luck.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Eat what you love in small portion sizes. That’s it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    What do you eat now? You said "crap" somewhere (this post or the other one), but what does a typical day look like? Enough protein, enough high fiber vegetables and enough fat to satisfy? A pound a week is ok, btw.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    If you eat A LOT, and don't feel full unless you eat a lot then eat a lot of veggies because they are low calorie.
  • rdgfit
    rdgfit Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is key. As long as your calories at are at your target you shou achieve your desired weightloss. Macro suggestions above are right. Key to portions is logging and weighing your food. Buy your self a simple digital kitchen scale - you can find then for $10-15 Walmart and weigh and record everything in MFP. Sounds tedious but it works. All the best!