Getting Started From Level Zero

Options
emiskins
emiskins Posts: 92 Member
edited May 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
A few years ago I regularly lifted weights and did HIIT and loved it. Then I broke my leg and was layed up for awhile. After that I just stopped exercising and eating right and went from 155 to 230. The broken leg is not an excuse-it is just the first life event that tipped me in the wrong direction. Anyway, I tried to work out again and decided to go with 30 day shred, since that is how I started years ago when I went from 220 to 155. Back then I started with shred then moved on to Les Mills BodyPump and also did Pilates and Yoga.

Here is my question: when I went to do shred last week I found I cannot do more than one squat or push-up. Also, the other exercises just hurt my knees and feet. Any suggestions on how to go from level zero to being able to make it thru a basic circuit training workout? Even though I was heavy when I started years ago, I could still do a 20 minute circuit.

I have some personal training available at my gym but I’d hate to waste it on level zero stuff. After my failure last week I started taking a daily 30 minute walk, hopefully that will strengthen up my joints. Anything else I can do to be able to get started?

Replies

• genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Walking is a good start.

And keep doing your one squat, and move pushups to a wall.

I like HasFit and FitnessBlender on YouTube, both of which have low impact or beginner workouts, and show modifications for you.

When I started from zero years ago I started with BikiniBodyMommy workouts. They are short and free also!
  • CuraKate
    CuraKate Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Walking is definitely a great start! You can always add walking 5mins then run 1 min. You can keep building up until you get stronger and get more endurance! I also think yoga and water aerobics are wonderful and have less impact on you joints!
    Good luck and remember something is better than nothing!!
  • Martuna_Sandwich
    Martuna_Sandwich Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Start slow. Watch your macros! And be consistent with your workouts regardless of how slow they are. You will eventually get your momentum back. Rome wasn’t built in a day ;)