Best foam roller?

Options
I'm looking for reccomendations for a foam roller. Bought one from Wal-Mart and it's garbage. Cheaper the better though was warned a good one would be between 30 and 60. Thanks!

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I have several... My main one is a TriggerPoint GRID. I also have a handheld I got from Rite Aid, a TriggerPoint ball that I can carry with me, and a cheapo one I got free from RunnersWorld magazine.
  • hannat5017
    hannat5017 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    I have several... My main one is a TriggerPoint GRID. I also have a handheld I got from Rite Aid, a TriggerPoint ball that I can carry with me, and a cheapo one I got free from RunnersWorld magazine.

How long have you had the triggerpoint grid? It looks really nice.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    It has been a couple years. I really like it for my calves - I can really dig into them. It is probably a placebo but I swear they heal quicker after a race with the foam roller. :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There are smooth ones and bumpy ones, it just depends the purpose, your sensitivity, and personal preference. I have a big one with bumps for use on the floor that I bought at Precision Fitness online, a smooth handheld one I got at REI and use on my neck and shoulders, and a slightly bumpy ball i use on my back and hips when lying in bed. I don't recall where I got it, REI or Sierra Trading post probably.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I have a smooth and a bumpy one because I use them for different things. I can’t remember the brands but I did an amazon search by prime and highest rating to choose them both. One came as a set with two roller balls and a foot roller.

The set was around $30 and the large smooth solo roller was just under $20
  • hannat5017
    Options
    I want a smooth one. I just want to make sure I get one that lasts a few years.
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    These are what our Athletic Trainers use, they've had the same 5 for a couple years for treating our 400 student athletes so they can't be terrible.

https://www.power-systems.com/shop/product/high-density-foam-roller
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I made my own. Bought a precut PVC pipe at Home Depot and a yoga mat on Amazon. Cut the yoga mat to size and duct taped it on. It's been great and has held up for years. It cost about $10 total
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    To some extent it depends on what/where you're tying to roll/hit.

I have a trigger point grid for when I'm really really really sore.
    I have a rumble roller that I use on my back, hams, and quads.
    I have a protech orb foam ball that I use on my hams and glutes.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    The gym I go to has a whole range of them. I like the really firm ones, takes care of my hip adhesions. I don't know the brand but they are really dense and resilient. Probably $$$
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I have an SPRI gray foam roller that I purchased on Amazon about 7 years ago. It's very dense and won't dent or give like the cheaper models. By the way, I first bought at cheaper foam roller at a local sporting goods store. Within a month, it had an hour glass shape. Not what you want with a foam roller!
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Go to the hardware store and buy a PVC tube about the same diameter. Cheap, hard, effective.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    festerw wrote: »
    These are what our Athletic Trainers use, they've had the same 5 for a couple years for treating our 400 student athletes so they can't be terrible.

https://www.power-systems.com/shop/product/high-density-foam-roller

I have a green one that looks like the one in the link but its made by gaiam and its still going after 5+ years
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You may also want to check out "The Stick" on the advice of my tri coach I picked up one (the a couple more as they have varying sizes / stiffness including one that fits nicely in my luggage) After a hard run my wife delights in making me squirm while rolling out my hamstrings and calves, you dig in far more than you can just by body weight on a foam roller.
  • hannat5017
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions!
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    There is no better torture device than the Rumble Roller.