Canadian food-isms

Options

Replies

• Sagelit
    Sagelit Posts: 78
    Options
    I once dated a gent from NZ, who hadn't had sweet French Toast before. He had tasted a savoury version before, but not sweet with maple syrup on it. Unfortunately, he liked it so much that he also started eating French Toast Crunch cereal and those frozen microwavable french toast sticks, which are terrible for you.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Kraft dinner!

I'm not Canadian but I've visited there several times and my college roomate were from New Brunswick (now in Ontario). I've had poutine here in "the States" but we typically serve it with the lighter turkey/chicken gravy (it's not cream sauce as someone posted above) so when I ordered some last time I was in NB, the brown gravy totally turned me off.
  • SeattleGrl
    SeattleGrl Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    What about the "Ceasar" drink...close to our Bloody Mary's but with clamato juice!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Not sure if someone has already said it, but ketchup chips!! I was in NY last summer and had an intense craving for them. The guy in the grocery store looked at me like I was from another planet when I asked where I could find them. He then pointed me to the condiments aisle!

Poutine is one of my biggest downfalls. I grew up eating it every weekend in the winter while skiing. Now I live in Toronto and there's a new "poutinerie" that just opened near me...It is taking all of my will power not to go there! And, we can't forget Montreal smoked meat and beaver tails... :)
  • lizlee8
    lizlee8 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Scottish here! :)

Shreddies - love them, not had them in a while though
    Fizzy juice not Pop or soda (or just plain juice)
    Tea is a hot drink. Cold tea is iced tea.
    Milk - generally in plastic carton but is available in cardboard carton, as well as BAGS! Love the bags but too expensive and they only have semi-skimmed as they are just intoducing them. Been to Canada twice now (HTB has family in GTA) and couldn't beleive you got milk in bags lol :P
  • spoffy
    spoffy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    To the ketchup chip: Are they like potato chips with like powdered ketchup on them? If so i'vr had them before and they were pretty gross, but they were like a limited time flavor.

To the gravy discussion: Where im from (ohio) we have sausage biscuits and gravy as likea breakfast meal and the gravy is white and delicious. However; occasionally we will have a brown gravy for christmas dinner to go on mashed potatoes, and usually it is made from beef or turkey stock depending on what the main course is. Is that the brown gravy you speak of?

Also the whole chocolate smarties thing is confusing..
  • CorrieV1976
    CorrieV1976 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    One word: POUTINE! Fries... with cheese curds (which I don't believe are made in the US), and covered in gravy. Curd can be substituted with shredded cheese if needed. So terrible for you.... but OH so delicious!

This is what I was going to say....and really I mean directly across the border...they have no idea what it is....my absolute fave!!!! I grew up in Canada and just moved to the US a few years ago...I miss my Poutine!!!
  • CorrieV1976
    Options
    American Timmies confused me! Apparently a Large coffee in Canada is only a Medium in the States! It scares me to think of the size of an American XL !
    Ok and growing up in Canada - I somehow feel like I own it when I drive up to an American Timmies.....and yes its called Timmies not Timmie Ho's I absolutely cant stand when they (everyone at work) call it Timmie ho's...Timmie does not have Ho's -- Timmie has coffee!!!
  • CorrieV1976
    Options
    Quick question - is it true that they don't have kinder eggs down in the states?
    No Kinder eggs....everytime I visit my neice (who was born in Canada) in Colorado I bring her Kinder eggs.....
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    I'm originally from the States and moved to Canada over 10 years ago (to marry a British-Canadian), so I could write a book of these! Even the same products can taste totally different between the two countries (Pops cereal was my first experience with that).

A few of mine...

- Wheat Chex vs. Shreddies - my Chex mix can no longer be purely Chex.
    - Smarties vs. Rockets - took a very confusing conversation about putting Smarties in 7up as a kid before I realized Smarties are chocolate here.
    - Processed Cheese vs. American Cheese - my parents confused the Subway guy on their first trip up.
    - Stuffing Bread - it actually has spices in it here...
    - Mac & Cheese vs. Kraft Dinner
    - You can't get Paydays here.
    - Milk in a bag and Clementines in a crate.
    - Iced tea is -not- brewed, it's from a fountain and tastes like pure sugar
    - Milkshakes - you have to be careful if they're British milkshakes, which are actually just flavoured milk.
    - Fruitcake vs. Christmas Cake - they may look alike, but they are NOT the same thing... Christmas Cake is marginally more edible. ;)
    - Nabisco vs. Mr. Christie - I can't tell you how shocked I was when I heard the little Nabisco song with Mr. Christie substituted in it!

... and SO many more...
  • rachelw16
    Options
    I'm Canadian, and for a week in July my family and I went up to Florida and got really confused about the whole "soda" thing...not gonna lie, the first time we saw a store advertising soda we were thinking of soda crackers, before we had the "duh" moment when we remembered where we were :)
  • rkerr6
    rkerr6 Posts: 6
    Options
    We lived in Texas for a few months, and it occurred to me afterwards that there weren't perogies in the frozen food aisle. They did have waaaaay more options for most other things, like flavoured coffee creamer (oh how I miss those!). And when I lived in Australia, I discovered meat pies...yum! Of course, they eat pumpkin like a vegetable and were horrified when I said the only way I'd ever eaten it was in pie, cookies and other dessert-like fare. lol! The hamburgers with pineapple and egg on it I wasn't so sure about ;)
  • lynn1982
    Options
    To the ketchup chip: Are they like potato chips with like powdered ketchup on them? If so i'vr had them before and they were pretty gross, but they were like a limited time flavor.

Yep, that's exactly what they are. I ate them as a kid. I don't think they're gross. You're entitled to your opinion, but perhaps you shouldn't be so judgmental about others'.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Oohhh ketchup chips... I know it sounds odd, but they are delicious (and I don't even like Ketchup!) Yuuuuum! :-)
    I have a friend who is originally from Florida, but lived in Canada for a few years. She got addicted to Lays Ketchup Chips, and missed them so much when she moved back to the States that she now buys them online and has them shipped to her.
  • dmgaloha
    dmgaloha Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize milk-in-a-bag was such a big deal... It's just 'normal' for me. It's like buying a gallon of milk, but having it divided in 3 easier to manage containers. Much easier for the kids to manage. :)
  • lynn1982
    Options
    I didn't realize milk-in-a-bag was such a big deal... It's just 'normal' for me. It's like buying a gallon of milk, but having it divided in 3 easier to manage containers. Much easier for the kids to manage. :)

Exactly! And when it's in a bag you can freeze it, so it's great to stock up when it goes on sale!
  • dmgaloha
    dmgaloha Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Sale? Milk is one thing that does not go on sale around here...
  • scarieshoney
    scarieshoney Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    OMG There is this place I can't help but avoid right out side my school and their poutine is the BEST poutine I have ever had that west of Perth!!
  • angelew
    angelew Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You can buy Kinder Eggs in Houston...
  • lynn1982
    Options
    You can buy Kinder Eggs in Houston...

With toys inside? That can't be. They're illegal in the US. I was once fined for bringing them across the border. (I didn't know it was illegal at the time.)