What the hell do I eat!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I find it easy to think of a meal having 1.5 servings of protein, which is typically 6oz of meat. Then, 2 servings of vegetables or 1 serving veg/1 serving fruit. If I do two veggies, one of those is usually starchy like a potato. I have a serving of fat/oil, typically used in cooking the meat and starchy vegetable. I mix and match this combo, so for example last night dinner was 6oz grilled skirt steak with 200g broccoli (I really like broccoli so that was actually a double serving), 150g red potatoes roasted with olive oil.

To me it's a puzzle of those food combos that I try and stick to to build my meals.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Start with logging what you normally eat for a week or so. See what fits your calorie goal and satisfies you.
    You get to decide if 4 oz of chicken is right or 8 oz.
    As long as you end up with a calorie deficit (eating less than it would take to msintain your current weight) then you are fine for weight loss.

Some of us prelog our food for the day so we can see what portion sizes or foods meet our needs best.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Sir3am wrote: »
    angelsja wrote: »
    Portion control - we have tried to weigh everything, but with 3 people at home, how does it work? Is there an easy way for portion control? Do I pack everything into different size containers before dishing up?

Use the recipe builder input all your ingredients and weigh the finished product put that has how many it serves then weigh out your portion and put that as how many servings you had
    Thank you I’ll have a look at that but I’m confused on what’s the recommended serving size per gram to input for each ingredient?

Recommended serving size doesn't matter one bit. You're going to have to spend some time paying attention to the calories of amounts of things and you'll end up with a baseline understanding. Using the diary religiously is the best way to get this education underway. Weigh your piece of chicken raw and enter it into your diary - too high in cals for your goal for that meal? Cut a bit off and try again. Eventually you'll get better at guesstimating ahead of time.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    21faic1wb08e.jpg

Like it
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    This is the eating plan I'd recommend for weight loss:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm

It's pretty much what I did to lose 50+ pounds in less than a year, but with the experiments and blind alleys taken out. ;)

I agree with those urging you not to lose weight too fast: It's not a good plan for decent body composition (muscle), energy level, or health. On top of that, eating too little makes some people "hangry", i.e., moody and hard to get along with. It can also increase cravings and lead to binges. Keep it slow, steady, sustainable, make it a learning experience about how to adjust your eating permanently to maintain a healthy weight for life: That's the quickest route to overall success.
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Step 1, get a food scale. Step 2, measure everything. Step 3, record everything.

If your cooking dinner for three, enter the ingredients in the recipe builder - enter three servings and record how many servings you eat.

When your cooking, write down the ingredients you use along with the weight, at the least volume (Tbsp, tsp, cup, etc). Some people are tempted to throw in extra things nilly willy, if you do - record what your putting in. When using Tbsp, tsp, cups - do not mound up higher then the rim. Use a scale for dry items it’s more accurate than a measuring device.

Eat a varied diet. Vegetables are much lower in calories so it’s a good filler.

I love a good steak, it’s a little upsetting at times when I want a 12oz T-bone (600 calories), with a baked potato (290 calories) - topped with bacon (86 calories), cheese (228 calories), sour cream (72 calories), and butter (102 calories). Don’t get me wrong, I can eat this - 1378 calories but it only leaves me with 322 calories for the rest of the day - which is not realistic for me.

So instead if I want steak, I’ll eat a 6oz NY Strip (200 calories) and bake some red Potatoes with olive oil, Parmesan, salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, and basil (288 calories,) and a a heap of steamed broccoli (68 calories.) This is a much more reasonable 556 calories.

Use MFP to know how much energy (calories) your body needs. How much of a deficit you need to loose weight, and record what you consume to help you get to where you want to be.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Start just by eating cleaner over time and slowly lower the volume. once you stop seeing progress, lower the volume of food some more. A big problem is people over complicate everything in fitness, and that's what A lot of big companies do. Do weight training, throw in some light cardio sessions if the weight isn't coming off as much as you'd like.

Tracking what you eat daily can help A lot, even if it's not precise. At least it gives you something to build on

OK - What is your definition of 'cleaner' (without over complicating things).
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Start just by eating cleaner over time and slowly lower the volume. once you stop seeing progress, lower the volume of food some more. A big problem is people over complicate everything in fitness, and that's what A lot of big companies do. Do weight training, throw in some light cardio sessions if the weight isn't coming off as much as you'd like.

Tracking what you eat daily can help A lot, even if it's not precise. At least it gives you something to build on

Here we go.... :D
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Sorry - Couldn't resist. >:)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

And how specifically would that relate to weight loss since the OP said they have a good idea of what’s healthy but are struggling to lose weight...
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »
    I don't know about you, but I'm currently having ice cream for supper.

ETA: My ice cream is clean. Clean bowl, clean spoon... perfect :)

LOL!!!! I had cookies for breakfast, also clean. Brand new package too! :smiley:
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »
    I don't know about you, but I'm currently having ice cream for supper.

ETA: My ice cream is clean. Clean bowl, clean spoon... perfect :)

You are the hero this thread needs.