Outdoor cycling to lose weight?

Who does it? How long did you bike for in the beginning? Is it preferred to walking?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    edited May 2018
    I do some biking. It was one of the first "real" exercise things I did after chemotherapy.

Personally, I just started with a short ride (based on my subjective perception of "short" - IIRC it was something like 2-3 miles on a level, paved surface). That felt OK, so I increased from there gradually, until it was a little bit of a challenge, but I still felt good afterward (not exhausted or in pain). Over time, I could go faster and further.

Both walking and cycling are good exercises in the abstract. IMO, one of the most important considerations in choosing exercise for weight loss is to find something you personally think is fun**, that fits into your overall life balance well. Some people have health conditions (joint problems, for example) that make biking more achievable than walking, or vice-versa, but that's also very individual. Another option is to do a bit of both, alternating days, which can be more entertaining and also challenge your body in slightly different ways.

Best wishes!

** Edited to add: The fun factor is important, because things that we find fun are things we'll actually do. Theoretically perfect exercise we don't do results in less calorie burn than theoretically less beneficial exercise that we actually do. Also, for many of us, managing food intake - by calorie counting or other means - is a bigger factor in weight loss than exercise is. Exercise is great for improving fitness and health, though - well worth doing for that alone!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I cycle outdoors for fitness, enjoyment and a challenge.
    But when I was losing weight I found it easier to stick to a calorie deficit when I had a higher calorie allowance boosted by my exercise calories as opposed to doing little exercise and having a small volume of food to eat.

My initial rides were about 8 miles, progressed to charity rides of various distances, bought better bikes and steadily built up my performance and distance over a number of years. Now do century rides, Audax events and sportives.
    5,000 miles last year, might be more this year as I'm now retired.

I don't find walking for exercise that much fun, it's something I do as part of an active lifestyle rather than as dedicated exercise. YMMV - try everything!
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    edited May 2018
    I love cycling. I have found it a great way to add some exercise that is easy on the knees.
    To answer your question about miles - if you have never ridden, 2miles may toast you in the beginning. Your body will adapt quickly though. I was at 265 pounds and couldn’t ride 2miles in January. Now I’m back on my road bike - much thinner - and usually ride 12-15 miles every other day. Your speed will svck in the beginning, but be patient and give your body time.
    As @jlklem said - lots of miles and time.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,069 Member
    I love cycling. I have found it a great way to add some exercise that is easy on the knees.
    To answer your question about miles - if you have never ridden, 2miles may toast you in the beginning. Your body will adapt quickly though. I was at 265 pounds and couldn’t ride 2miles in January. Now I’m back on my road bike - much thinner - and usually ride 12-15 miles every other day. Your speed will svck in the beginning, but be patient and give your body time.
    As @jlklem said - lots of miles and time.

Good for you.
  • mjbnj0001
    sijomial wrote: »
    But when I was losing weight I found it easier to stick to a calorie deficit when I had a higher calorie allowance boosted by my exercise calories as opposed to doing little exercise and having a small volume of food to eat.

My initial rides were about 8 miles, progressed to charity rides of various distances, bought better bikes and steadily built up my performance and distance over a number of years. Now do century rides, Audax events and sportives.

I don't find walking for exercise that much fun, it's something I do as part of an active lifestyle rather than as dedicated exercise. YMMV - try everything!

5000 miles was worth a "woo"! Good for you. That's an unbelievably remote statistic from where I straddle the saddle. I'm working on 750-900 this year (written new year's resolution of 750, but computer project says 900 is reachable).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »

5000 miles was worth a "woo"! Good for you. That's an unbelievably remote statistic from where I straddle the saddle. I'm working on 750-900 this year (written new year's resolution of 750, but computer project says 900 is reachable).
    @mjbnj0001
    Erm...
    Woo doesn't mean woo-hoo, well done. It means woo as in BS, bro science, WTF.

But thank you for the kind words! :smile:
    (BTW - If you click the woo button again it goes away.)

I was around 1,000 miles total in 2013 and found there's a bit of a take off point when you become able to ride further in day. You get to explore new areas rather than being restricted to local routes, big hills aren't such a barrier and the enjoyment level goes up and up.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    I ride to and from work, 10km a pop, whenever it's not raining or freezing. Added up to about 2000km last year. The commute was exhausting at first, had to stop for breathers, bring water, rest the next day, all that jazz. However, our bodies adapt pretty fast and in about a month I could do it every day. In three months it became routine. After I used the cycling for a cardio base to jump into running, it doesn't even feel like a "proper" workout any more unless I try to go really fast. (Cue weekend hills and long runs here.)

750 miles is a great new years resolution. Cycling is one of the more fun ways of exercise and it burns lots of calories once you get into the groove. Good luck!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,791 Member
    I cycle a lot, but I find that if I want to lose weight by cycling I have to cycle quite a bit just about every day.

In the years when I've cycled 8000+ km/year, my weight has been good. :)

Less than that, and I also have to watch what I eat.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,791 Member
    Who does it? How long did you bike for in the beginning? Is it preferred to walking?

I've been cycling since I was 6 years old. Not sure how far I was going then.

But between 17 and 23, my cycling kind of died off a bit. When I decided to start cycling "seriously" on April 29, 1990, my first ride was 2 miles and I had to take a break after the first mile.

In 1994, I cycled my first century (100 mile ride).

Since then, I've cycled 187 centuries or long rides. :)

Start ... stick with it ... build up your distances ... and who knows where it will take you!
  • jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    Because cycling is low impact it can be repeated every day for a long time.

I eat constantly, I mean constantly but I want to ride every day. It’s my therapy from life. Most weeks in the winter I ride 2 hours a day, one hour in the AM and one hour in the PM. All indoors. I burn 1600-2000 calories that way on my hard/moderate days. One easy days I burn around 500-1000 and ride less. I do 2 easy days a week. Weekends I add a third hour so up to 3000 calories.

In summer I am averaging 2:30 a day....with 100 miles every week at least once. 100 miles rides for me burn 4000 calories. So far just in May I am over 1100 miles and 58 hours.

My goal this year is 800 hours.

I started with a 2 hour ride in 2003. Took me 2 hours to ride 25 miles. Felt like a hero.

On Saturday I did 111 miles in 5:10 minutes...21.6 mph average with a lot of hills. Solo. Then rode with the wife that evening for 14 more. Got up yesterday and did another 65 and feel good today.

I am training for a 24 hour continuous ride June 16-17. The goal is 400.

If I wanted to lose weight it would require little effort.

The key is you have to love what you do and be ok with discomfort.

John
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    I personally have found cycling to burn fewer calories than those touted here. It takes a lot of miles to burn anything significant. I put down 7000-8000 miles in 2011 (including PBP), but have since had kids and lack the amount of time I used to have.

The key is...as everyone "knows," Balance what you eat with your exercise. Maximizing calories burned does not always equate to maximizing weight lost.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    I ride because I enjoy it. Any weight loss I've seen as a rust is purely coincidental.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I wish I could bike, but all the roads in our area are narrow, hilly, and no shoulders and just busy enough to be dangerous with speeding cars. I would not feel safe. :'(
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »

@mjbnj0001
    Erm...
    Woo doesn't mean woo-hoo, well done. It means woo as in BS, bro science, WTF.

But thank you for the kind words! :smile:
    (BTW - If you click the woo button again it goes away.)

I was around 1,000 miles total in 2013 and found there's a bit of a take off point when you become able to ride further in day. You get to explore new areas rather than being restricted to local routes, big hills aren't such a barrier and the enjoyment level goes up and up.

Oops. Well, glad you got my intention. Fixed it by re-clicking.

Thanks for your advice. Five months in to my "new life," I'm happily making decent incremental getting-fit progress after all the years in career wasteland. Don't get me wrong, I loved my work while doing it - and do miss it - but I now fully get the "never met anyone on their deathbed that wished they spent more time at the office" type of sentiment. Starting to ride in wintertime was interesting; spring time has been great, looking forward to summer and autumn, and expanding my radius.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Outside cycling - my next big, big objective! As soon as I fit onto a bicycle, any bicycle!
  • mjbnj0001
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I ride because I enjoy it. Any weight loss I've seen as a rust is purely coincidental.

Weight loss is a goal for which I'm using cycling to help; cardio fitness is another prime benefit, and getting outdoors is itself a great objective. Wherever you are in your profile pic, I can see it's a great location and probably a great feeling.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

I'm an avid road cycling enthusiast. But I've lost weight, maintained weight, and gained weight cycling...all comes down to how much I'm eating. I just love being out on the road and I enjoy cycling events.

Just did the Tour de Santa Fe yesterday...it was awesome. I only did the 1/4 century route, but it was pretty tough starting at an elevation of 7,199 and climbing to 8,599 ft above sea level with a 15 mph head wind...glorious scenery.