Calories Burned - Stationary Bike

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It's true that after you finish an interval, you stop (or at least drastically slow) the work, but your HR is still elevated. Because HR lags behind what you're doing. But for that same reason, when you started the interval, it took a while before your HR began to elevate. From the HRM's perspective, it's as if you did the full interval, but 30 seconds later than you actually did it.

And level of fitness has an impact on that delay effect.

Coming out of winter with lifting focus always has me catching my aerobic up. I use jog/walk intervals to save the knees somewhat.
    Takes 2-3 weeks for the drop from a hard effort of about 35-40 beats to take about a whole min, even on the final intervals of a session.
    Prior to that each active rest period is never lowering as much. But it sure is increasing on the jog part.
    Similar effect on bike.

So for those unfit - the HRM really gives an inflated avg HR and calorie burn.
    More fit - it can start getting better. Mine is starting to unless I did lifting right before the ride.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Machines burns are way off but what you were given sounds low. I find my Samsung Health app is closer to giving me a more accurate burn which I know to be realistic (because it correlates with my weight mamagement and calories consumed over a long period of time ).
    For me at 125lb and 5ft 2 I burn upwards on 700 cals an hour, that's with HIIT bursts.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Machines burns are way off but what you were given sounds low. I find my Samsung Health app is closer to giving me a more accurate burn which I know to be realistic (because it correlates with my weight mamagement and calories consumed over a long period of time ).
    For me at 125lb and 5ft 2 I burn upwards on 700 cals an hour, that's with HIIT bursts.

Your burn actually sounds too high. For a small female that would be an unusually high power output that a very good club rider might see.
    An equivalent burn for you running would be in the order of 9 miles in an hour - is that your kind of fitness level?

Weight management confirms your calorie balance has been correct over time - it doesn't confirm all the various estimates involved are accurate. It does show that consistency in estimates and adjusting based on results works though.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited May 2018
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Your burn actually sounds too high. For a small female that would be an unusually high power output that a very good club rider might see.
    An equivalent burn for you running would be in the order of 9 miles in an hour - is that your kind of fitness level?

Weight management confirms your calorie balance has been correct over time - it doesn't confirm all the various estimates involved are accurate. It does show that consistency in estimates and adjusting based on results works though.

Well I would have thought that too but I'm maintaining my weight ( which is my aim) going on those numbers so it's actually accurate for me.

My average cycle speed is 33 km/ hr - I have great fitness and stamina with a lot of muscle too.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited May 2018
    Options

Well I would have thought that too but I'm maintaining my weight ( which is my aim) going on those numbers so it's actually accurate for me.

My average cycle speed is 33 km/ hr - I have great fitness and stamina with a lot of muscle too.

When I started losing weight my results indicated I was eating 1000/cals a week too much to hit my goal of a pound a week. A combination of exaggerated estimates from a basic HRM and Runkeeper plus sloppy food logging.
    So I dropped my calorie goal and lost weight at the desired rate.
    That didn't make my exercise estimates accurate, I just compensated for the inaccuracy.

The speed indoors isn't accurate - no aero drag. My high end trainers have me doing a "speed" that a racer would be proud of! Can you cycle at 33kph/20.5mph speed outdoors?
    A female friend of mine can and has done a five hour Century and she couldn't hit 700 cals in an hour.

But what I'm saying is the numbers I'm getting are accurate for me to be maintaining my weight and eating 2000 cals a day. I said I can burn up to 700 cals an hour, I rarely do more than 30-45 mins a day. The numbers I'm seeing are accurate for me but obviously that might not be the case for everyone. And I'm not talking about the numbers my bike is giving me, those are far too inflated, but rather my Samsung app which knows my height/weight and the mileage done on each workout.

Thanks for your insight though.

p.s I don't cycle outside, I'm an indoors workout sort of gal (and yes I am embarrassed almost about sharing that but it works for me, I do it consistently, I enjoy it and that's the main thing imo)
  • sijomial
    Options

When I started losing weight my results indicated I was eating 1000/cals a week too much to hit my goal of a pound a week. A combination of exaggerated estimates from a basic HRM and Runkeeper plus sloppy food logging.
    That didn't make my exercise estimates accurate, I just compensated for the inaccuracy.

The speed indoors isn't accurate - no aero drag. My high end trainers have me doing a "speed" that a racer would be proud of! Can you cycle at 33kph/20.5mph speed outdoors?
    A female friend of mine can and has done a five hour Century and she couldn't hit 700 cals in an hour.

But what I'm saying is the numbers I'm getting are accurate for me to be maintaining my weight and eating 2000 cals a day. I said I can burn up to 700 cals an hour, I rarely do more than 30-45 mins a day. The numbers I'm seeing are accurate for me but obviously that might not be the case for everyone. And I'm not talking about the numbers my bike is giving me, those are far too inflated, but rather my Samsung app which knows my height/weight and the mileage done on each workout.

Thanks for your insight though.

p.s I don't cycle outside, I'm an indoors workout sort of gal (and yes I am embarrassed almost about sharing that but it works for me, I do it consistently, I enjoy it and that's the main thing imo)

For clarity:
    I'm saying your Samsung app is probably giving you inflated numbers unless you have a level of fitness verging on extraordinary for your size. A competitor not a recreational exerciser.
    Now you could be an elite athlete hence me asking if you can replicate that indicated speed outdoors or run at a high speed for an hour.

Yes it works for you.
    But that isn't any kind of proof of accuracy which is what is required when you compare across two people like you and the OP. Using a simple app and not corroborating the numbers against a better method such as power means the OP can't draw any meaningful conclusion apart from different people use different methods and get very different numbers.

PS - there's no reason to be embarrassed how you do your exercise. Many people could say it's embarrassing for and elderly man to be dressing in Lycra and cycling in public! :smiley:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @sijomial you make valid points and you are right to point them out so that others are informed.
    I am not extraordinarily fit, I wish! however I would say I do have a great level of fitness for my age (soon to be 49).
    I was a runner for a number of years then started having knee issues last year and changed to biking (thankfully that completely sorted my knee pain). Going by my data from when I ran compared to now I definately burn more cycling than running and my knees are happy so win win for me :smile: . But I hear others who say they burn more running than cycling. Anyway, I am digressing!!

Hope the OP takes on board your thoughts.

And thanks for telling me not to feel embarrassment about my indoor cycling :smile: I think a lot of people carry off that lycra look very well, but others do not - wearing it is age irrelevant :smiley: .

Ruth
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

I more or less agree with you, though if my my smart trainer definitely thinks that I've hit over 700 calories in an hour before - on a somewhat regular basis actually. That said that's been with me doing threshold work and it totally kicks my butt. Earlier this week my workout was 871 cals in the span of 75 minutes (it was hellish but it was also hot which really didn't help) - again that's with my smart trainer in erg mode.

Today I did supposively burned 480-505 cals (strava vs garmin) in the span of nearly 6.5 miles which took 37 min. That said I also climbed 853 feet. I don't totally trust those numbers but I am intrigued as to what a similar workout will show in terms of power once my P1s get here.

TLDR: I agree to an extent about the ability to burn X large number of calories an hour on a bike and am impatient about getting a pedal based power meter so I can have a more accurate gauge on my own abilities. I know that burning 700 calories in an hour is doable, and I know that I know people who can and have done so but almost all of those people race at various levels in road, track, 'cross, and/or triathlon and all of them train specifically for those disiplines.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I'll be interested to see how MapMyRide jives with my Fitbit Surge this weekend when I do either a 38 or 54 mile ride on Sunday with a group with whom I ride.

May even have to dig out the old MyZone belt to compare it against the other two to see what numbers it comes up with.

Just curious....
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

... I know that burning 700 calories in an hour is doable, and I know that I know people who can and have done so but almost all of those people race at various levels in road, track, 'cross, and/or triathlon and all of them train specifically for those disiplines.

195 watts will get you 700 calories and about a 1 hour 15 minute flat 40 km on a road bike.
  • aokoye
    Options

... I know that burning 700 calories in an hour is doable, and I know that I know people who can and have done so but almost all of those people race at various levels in road, track, 'cross, and/or triathlon and all of them train specifically for those disiplines.

195 watts will get you 700 calories and about a 1 hour 15 minute flat 40 km on a road bike.

So about 19-20mph outside on a flat road for 700 calories. I definitely suspect that I currently know at least one person who could do that, probably more than one. Again though, one of these people used to race cat 2 in cross, road, and track. I do wonder what wattage I am actually putting out outside on the hills near my house. Strava estimated that today's average was 184 watts per hour over 38 min. While I know that's not accurate I want to know how inaccurate it actually is.
  • sijomial
    Options

I more or less agree with you, though if my my smart trainer definitely thinks that I've hit over 700 calories in an hour before - on a somewhat regular basis actually. That said that's been with me doing threshold work and it totally kicks my butt. Earlier this week my workout was 871 cals in the span of 75 minutes (it was hellish but it was also hot which really didn't help) - again that's with my smart trainer in erg mode.

Today I did supposively burned 480-505 cals (strava vs garmin) in the span of nearly 6.5 miles which took 37 min. That said I also climbed 853 feet. I don't totally trust those numbers but I am intrigued as to what a similar workout will show in terms of power once my P1s get here.

TLDR: I agree to an extent about the ability to burn X large number of calories an hour on a bike and am impatient about getting a pedal based power meter so I can have a more accurate gauge on my own abilities. I know that burning 700 calories in an hour is doable, and I know that I know people who can and have done so but almost all of those people race at various levels in road, track, 'cross, and/or triathlon and all of them train specifically for those disiplines.
    @aokoye
    I wasn't saying 700 cals/hr isn't possible for everyone, I was saying it's unlikely for a small, female recreational exerciser doing interval training.

Yes 700/hr is perfectly doable, especially for a male who trains seriously, not even exceptional.

Even me as a 58 year old has a recent one hour maximal effort best of 213w (766cals) - but it's taken 5 years of serious cycle training to get there and I do 5000 miles a year.
    A 56 year old friend is targeting 270w as an hourly rate - but he's a podium finisher in a national 24hr race and trains 12hrs a week at a level very few people would tolerate.

But my high standard female, petite, friend although a far better rider than me can't get anywhere near my power output - and therefore calorie burns.
  • aokoye
    Options
    @sijomial - again, I essentially am in agreement with you. I especially agree that it is unlikely for frankly any recreational exerciser who isn't training moderately seriously. One of the people who I'm thinking of is in his late 50s but has been cycling for the vast majority of his life and still races. He isn't average. The woman that I'm thinking of trains almost as if she were a college athlete, works a very physical job on top of that (some of which involves working with professional athletes), and has a coach. So yea - none of these people are average.

I'm 31 and cycling is my main sport at this point in my life. I don't race (though next summer I want to try track if my knees allow), but I use TrainerRoad a lot inside and cycling is more or less part of my post-surgical rehab for my knee. Save for hill training days I tend to go far harder inside than I do outside. That will likely even out at some point because, as my PT reminded me this week, I have only been allowed to bike outside for less than a month this year.
    Yes 700/hr is perfectly doable, especially for a male who trains seriously, not even exceptional.
    Agreed. I am far, far from exceptional. I like riding my bike, I work hard at bike specific fitness, but I am not particularly amazing.
  • NorthCascades
    Options

@aokoye
    I wasn't saying 700 cals/hr isn't possible for everyone, I was saying it's unlikely for a small, female recreational exerciser doing interval training.

Even me as a 58 year old has a recent one hour maximal effort best of 213w (766cals) - but it's taken 5 years of serious cycle training to get there and I do 5000 miles a year.
    A 56 year old friend is targeting 270w as an hourly rate - but he's a podium finisher in a national 24hr race and trains 12hrs a week at a level very few people would tolerate.

But my high standard female, petite, friend although a far better rider than me can't get anywhere near my power output - and therefore calorie burns.

This is really hard to appreciate without context. So to that end:

270 watts really isn't that hard. Anybody reading this forum can make a power meter say 270 watts. For a few seconds. Some for a lot longer, it gets harder the longer you go. Putting out 270 watts for 5 minutes hurts, and will get a Clydesdale a KOM. For an hour is brutal.

Think about bench pursuing a modest amount of weight, then imagine doing it continuously for an hour.

When we talk about how many calories were burned on a bike, this is one reason the numbers wind up being moderate. Big people (I'm in that group) tend to have explosive power, and that makes it easy to think we're just powerhouses working real hard all the time, but the power/duration curve is real, and it applies to everyone.
  • NorthCascades
    Options

So about 19-20mph outside on a flat road for 700 calories. I definitely suspect that I currently know at least one person who could do that, probably more than one. Again though, one of these people used to race cat 2 in cross, road, and track. I do wonder what wattage I am actually putting out outside on the hills near my house. Strava estimated that today's average was 184 watts per hour over 38 min. While I know that's not accurate I want to know how inaccurate it actually is.

When I started using a power meter, there was a big learning curve. Because getting the most out of one involves software, and special math. Like the difference between average and normalized power (NP), which is appropriate for a functional threshold power (FTP) test, and a lot more.

Power is the rate that work is getting done. If a bookshelf needs to get moved across the room and it takes me an hour but it only takes you 20 minutes, that's the same amount of work but 3x the power. With bikes you're doing the work of moving, which involves overcoming air resistance (which rises with speed), flexing your tires, fighting gravity sometimes, and a bit of friction in your drivetrain. In fact, speed = power / all opposing forces.

Back to power being a rate. 184 watts means 184 joules per second. That's why @sijomial's formula (calories = avgP * 3.6 * hours) works, there are 3,600 seconds in an hour. That, and because a lot of testing shows that all humans have about the same energy efficiency on a bike, there's a very narrow range.
  • jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    Options

@aokoye

This is really hard to appreciate without context. So to that end:

270 watts really isn't that hard. Anybody reading this forum can make a power meter say 270 watts. For a few seconds. Some for a lot longer, it gets harder the longer you go. Putting out 270 watts for 5 minutes hurts, and will get a Clydesdale a KOM. For an hour is brutal.

Think about bench pursuing a modest amount of weight, then imagine doing it continuously for an hour.

When we talk about how many calories were burned on a bike, this is one reason the numbers wind up being moderate. Big people (I'm in that group) tend to have explosive power, and that makes it easy to think we're just powerhouses working real hard all the time, but the power/duration curve is real, and it applies to everyone.

You are very kind, but I’m at 59 kilos...can do 270+ for an hour. It does not get me competitive KOMs. 6 watts/kilo or 360 for 5 minutes might but not 4.5...I just did 5.5 watts/kilo or ~330 for a 2.4 mile climb 8:41 total time)...got me 68th out of 700+. Yes my power meter was calibrated....

But you are very correct. Of all the people I ride with 270 is very rare for long periods of time. Of course my training partner can hold 330 for an hour plus..
  • aokoye
    Options

When I started using a power meter, there was a big learning curve. Because getting the most out of one involves software, and special math. Like the difference between average and normalized power (NP), which is appropriate for a functional threshold power (FTP) test, and a lot more.

Power is the rate that work is getting done. If a bookshelf needs to get moved across the room and it takes me an hour but it only takes you 20 minutes, that's the same amount of work but 3x the power. With bikes you're doing the work of moving, which involves overcoming air resistance (which rises with speed), flexing your tires, fighting gravity sometimes, and a bit of friction in your drivetrain. In fact, speed = power / all opposing forces.

Back to power being a rate. 184 watts means 184 joules per second. That's why @sijomial's formula (calories = avgP * 3.6 * hours) works, there are 3,600 seconds in an hour. That, and because a lot of testing shows that all humans have about the same energy efficiency on a bike, there's a very narrow range.

For what it's worth, I do train with power inside on a Wahoo Kickr Snap. I'm used to various FTP tests indoors, doing power based interval training, have quoted the formula you mentioned a number of times, and so on. It's training with power outside that I don't have experience with. I will likely do an 8 min FTP test outside when they arrive because of the limitations of where I currently ride. I also need to do another FTP test indoors because new equipment and such but I suspect they'll come by next Friday (Clever Training is waiting on a shipment from Powertap...and I am being impatient) and I'll be due for one.

I guess for me this is really a bit of a boost to what I currently do inside. I want to be able to have more logically structured workouts outside, especially as my schedule starts to get a bit less frenetic. I also like that I'll be able to better assess the power balance between my two legs as I'm post knee surgery. I guess for me this isn't really jumping off the deep end into some sort of murky unknown abyss, rather getting better tools to be able to explore the rather exciting abyss I'm already in.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I left the MyZone at home, so I don't have the HR information from it.

However, what I found interesting from my GPS equipped FitBit Surge is that for about the first 2/3rds of the ride, the calculation was a fixed 22 calories/minute.

It was only about the last 1/3rd that it then claimed I was burning 11 calories/minute.

Certainly not setting any records as I was stopping and waiting for some slower riders in the group several times.

Finally averaged about 18.1 MPH the last 10-11 miles according to my MapMyRide data from my iPhone.

But they both estimated over 3000 calories on a 38 mile ride. I didn't start the Fitbit tracking until after we rode from the parking area to the registration table, so it has a lower total ride distance.

l8twytdulckf.jpg

86h58r8wl8og.jpg

• HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I sync a telementary strap to the bike's computer. I think it is pretty accurate, usually about 650 cal for a 1 hour spin class where my heart rate is in the red zone (max is about 165 BPM) for over 50% of the class. I also happen to wear a Garmin Fenix and the calories burned on that are within 50-100 cals of the bike computer. Gotta enter your stats!