C25K help

Options
Has anyone else done C25K? I've started and stopped about a hundred times, but I am currently stuck in week 4. Any advice on how to keep myself motivated? Anyone else just want talk about their successes or struggles?

Replies

• pltjess
    pltjess Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Take it at your own pace! I just got home from W6D3, and I'm nowhere near in shape, and I'm not on track at all to complete a 5K in 30 minutes. However, my stamina is increasing, and later I can work on speed. Repeat days if you have to, but most of all, don't give up!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Motivation has a short shelf life. Discipline is how it is done. Commit to it and follow through.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I did C25K about a year ago. What really motivated me was signing up for a 5K race scheduled for 3 weeks after the program ended.

Personally I love running even though I'm naturally quite sedentary and getting off the couch is hard. But it took me a while to love running. I honestly think it was a combination of Week 5 Run 3 (which was a massive confidence boost because I did it!) and finishing that first 5K a full 4 minutes faster than I thought I would that really inspired me to keep going.

And now? Well, I'm still inclined to laziness despite loving running. So I'm signed up for at least one run a month for the next 6-8 months and will throw some winter races on my calendar once registration opens.

Keeps me motivated.

(Also, if you normally run on a treadmill - get outdoors if possible for at least some of your runs. It makes a difference.)
  • christaavb
    christaavb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm impressed! I can't even get out of week 1..
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Week 4 is the hardest week.

Because you're essentially running twice as long as in the previous weeks.

You could repeat week 3, or you could shorten the 5 minute run. Or you could skip the second 5 minute run.

There's a lot of options for "week 3.5" But ultimately, what you really need to do is learn to SLOWWW down that 5 minute run.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Another option - if your mind is trying to talk you out of running, just keep moving and put on your running clothes.

Then, while your mind is arguing with you, out on your shoes.

You won't regret it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Motivation has a short shelf life. Discipline is how it is done. Commit to it and follow through.

This. And sign up for a 5k so you have something to train for.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    yup i just kept going forward. i am on the turtle team but i have run half marathons. and it all started with c25k
  • potatowhoruns
    potatowhoruns Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I second what @sarahthes recommends - I did similar. I ended up doing 3 years of monthly races at various distances to provide me with a focus. I knew I needed that deadline to push myself.
    Also look into parkruns in your area as you can fit them into your weekly sessions (including the warm up and down).
    General advice is to keep it slow, speed will come in time. Running is a gait not a speed.
    Also, don’t forget that running isn’t for everyone - you need to work out whether you just need to get over that hump or whether to try something different. The best exercise is one you will do!
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I say to myself when my legs are sore and my lungs are burning that this current level of fitness is the worst it will ever be. Every run improves your next one.

I got stuck on C25K a good few times and I still can't/ won't run much further than 5k but I can tell you it gets better.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    smolmaus wrote: »
    I say to myself when my legs are sore and my lungs are burning that this current level of fitness is the worst it will ever be. Every run improves your next one.

I got stuck on C25K a good few times and I still can't/ won't run much further than 5k but I can tell you it gets better.

That's true up to a certain point, a 5 mph run will get easier when you get to the point where you can sustain a 7 mph run. But a max effort run will always suck, and that's ok, because that's racing not training.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you’re not motivated to do c25k you don’t have to do it. You don’t have to run. Try some other activities and find one you enjoy.
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    That's true up to a certain point, a 5 mph run will get easier when you get to the point where you can sustain a 7 mph run. But a max effort run will always suck, and that's ok, because that's racing not training.

Your fitness level gets better, not necessarily the physical experience :) But it doesn't feel as bad physiologically to struggle with the 7mph run!

A 5 minute jog used to wipe me out like an 8.5min mile does now but I certainly don't hate it as much!
  • stanmann571
    Options

Your fitness level gets better, not necessarily the physical experience :) But it doesn't feel as bad physiologically to struggle with the 7mph run!

A 5 minute jog used to wipe me out like an 8.5min mile does now but I certainly don't hate it as much!

TRUE! I still look and feel like I'm dying, but I'm not angry on top of it all.
  • CarvedTones
    Options

I got into running longer and longer and did a half marathon. Yeah, max effort to get to the next milestone is always hard. But once you push through the pain you discover a whole 'nother universe of pain... ;)
  • stanmann571
    Options

I got into running longer and longer and did a half marathon. Yeah, max effort to get to the next milestone is always hard. But once you push through the pain you discover a whole 'nother universe of pain... ;)

Did my second annual 10K this year. Beat last years 71 minutes with 65 minutes. Weather wasn't cooperating, gear wasn't cooperating, and due to work travel I lost 3 of my last 4 weeks of pre-race conditioning. I'm trying to figure out if I can shoehorn training for a half into the next few months.
  • TGTiger
    TGTiger Posts: 265 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I bought the C210K app and figured that I'm doing have the training by going for a 5K! But seriously, I agree with CarvedTones that it does take some discipline. Motivation isn't always enough. I worked at a running shoe store for 6+ years before I started running. Never ever thought I would ever run, but I was determined to do it once I fully committed to it. Listen to your body are my biggest words of advice.
  • CarvedTones
    edited May 2018
    Options

Did my second annual 10K this year. Beat last years 71 minutes with 65 minutes. Weather wasn't cooperating, gear wasn't cooperating, and due to work travel I lost 3 of my last 4 weeks of pre-race conditioning. I'm trying to figure out if I can shoehorn training for a half into the next few months.

I was pretty much a 6 mph plodder (don't run now due to knee issue). I did a 10k in pretty similar time and a half marathon in 2:08, which is actually a whisker faster than 6. It actually gets easier to extend because you are running long enough to get in the zone. It took months to get to running 6 miles at a time, then only a few weeks before I ran 10. 6 miles became my normal exercise run and I was mostly kidding about the pain; after a while I could get up an hour early, run 6 miles, shower and then feel pretty much like any other morning. It gets much easier. There is still some pain pushing into longer distances.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I'd disagree with this. To an extent commitment is just one form of motivation anyway, so it becomes a question of how to do that.

Run with others, keep increasing the challenge, book events. These are all different ways to do it.

Equally, in this instance, it's about framing the challenge in a meaningful way.