Food Scale

Does anyone have recommendations on a good quality food scale brand from Walmart or Target or so? I bought one from Walmart and it’s terrible- always fluctuating or glitching when I try to change the units. What’s a good scale for the money??

Replies

• frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Considering food labels are up to 20% off anyways it doesn't really matter that much that it is 100% accurate. Just go by what it says and trust that the errors will be roughly the same every day ;) Say for example it always tells you 5 grams more, then you just believe that you are eating more but the food you eat each day will be the same so it doesn't matter.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited July 2018
    I picked up one of these scales for about $11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZguaKQKSEs

The guy in the video has some certified accurate weights and tested the scale for accuracy,
    It is the Ozeri Pronto Digital Kitchen Scale and it works great.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    andreaen wrote: »
    Considering food labels are up to 20% off anyways it doesn't really matter that much that it is 100% accurate. Just go by what it says and trust that the errors will be roughly the same every day ;) Say for example it always tells you 5 grams more, then you just believe that you are eating more but the food you eat each day will be the same so it doesn't matter.

how does it not matter? if a food label says something is 28g a serving and you weigh it and its 40g. thats a lot more calories you are taking in. when you get down to lower weights or dont have much wiggle room with calories(those who are shorter,elderly,sedentary or a combo) it can make a BIG difference. it can result in no weight loss at all from eating more calories than you think you are.

Its not about what you eat but how much when it comes to weight loss,gain or maintenance. why do you think a majority of us use food scales? for someone with a lot to lose it may not be so important at the beginning. but for others its a tool that has helped us tremendously. a 20% difference in some foods can mean a lot more calories.Like my bagel today it says 95g(280calories) for a serving. today it was 100g which was 295 calories. thats 15 calories extra there. my protein bar is 60g and 200 calories, it was 68g and 227 calories.

theres another 27 extra calories. it all adds up at the end of the day and at the end of the week could be the difference between eating maintenance calories or being in a deficit.so just for those two things thats an extra 42 calories. maybe not a lot but thats not counting my other foods
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Is it on a hard level surface? Are the scale feet clean?

In regards to changing units, I'm not sure that's necessary - I don't live in a place where different units are used though. Can you stick to grams for everything?
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Is it on a hard level surface? Are the scale feet clean?

In regards to changing units, I'm not sure that's necessary - I don't live in a place where different units are used though. Can you stick to grams for everything?

I once got a Walmart house brand scale that had the unit setting button on the bottom of the scale, and it defaulted to ounces when it was turned on. You had to turn it on, pick it up, and prod the tiny button on the bottom to change to grams every time. That was annoying enough to make me toss it and go back to using an old Taylor scale that refuses to quit.

Taylor and Oxo tend to be carried by all of the major stores in the US, and both are generally good quality. It's hard to go wrong with either of them.