Lost 5lbs in 48 hrs - Intermittent Fasting

13»

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I lost 9lbs last week (May 12-19, 2018). I did Tae Bo for 30 mins everyday and count calories while in Intermittent Fasting (16:8). Can someone enlighten me? I think its too fast.

Almost all of that was water weight. No reason to be concerned. You may be losing too fast but you aren't losing that fast. Keep tabs for a few more weeks and adjust your calories as needed.

• BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    So Intermittent fasting basically is I can eat anything as long as it’s in my window meal? I can eat burger, cheesecake, etc as long as I’m eating only for 8hrs a day? I don’t think it’s going to work unless you’re obese/ overweight. I still believe in calorie deficit diet instead of this.

You misunderstand how intermittent fasting works. Calories still matter, the same as they do on any diet, macro combination or eating schedule. Intermittent fasting simply helps some people with satiety and adherence by limiting their intake to an arbitrary timeframe (4 hrs, 8 hrs, 10 hrs, etc.).

If you eat at a caloric surplus, you'll still gain weight no matter how many hours of the day you do it in. And if you eat at a deficit, you won't lose any more weight eating those calories in 8 hours than you would if you ate them in 10, 12, 16, 18 or 20 hours. There's nothing magic about intermittent fasting that allows it to supersede the laws of energy balance (despite some of the mystical magical claims of wizardry because it's oh so trendy right now).

There is no detailed information about limiting the amount of calories in Intermittent fasting except for the hours.
    Thanks for the information.

I suppose that would depend upon where you look for information about intermittent fasting. There are a lot of woo sites that are too busy extolling all the magical, miraculous properties of IF to provide any actual useful information about how to successfully utilize it for weight loss.

True true. What gets overlooked is that IF MAY help with weight loss. The better part of the IF eating schedule is that you have an increase in HGH (especially toward the end of the fasting window) and a decrease in time with elevated insulin. The fasting time helps the body with autophagy , "which allows the orderly degradation and recycling of cellular components." The fasting time can help with increasing your insulin sensitivity.

So as far as weight loss goes, IF can make it a bit easier to stay under your caloric target. But not much more.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2018
    So Intermittent fasting basically is I can eat anything as long as it’s in my window meal? I can eat burger, cheesecake, etc as long as I’m eating only for 8hrs a day? I don’t think it’s going to work unless you’re obese/ overweight. I still believe in calorie deficit diet instead of this.

You misunderstand how intermittent fasting works. Calories still matter, the same as they do on any diet, macro combination or eating schedule. Intermittent fasting simply helps some people with satiety and adherence by limiting their intake to an arbitrary timeframe (4 hrs, 8 hrs, 10 hrs, etc.).

If you eat at a caloric surplus, you'll still gain weight no matter how many hours of the day you do it in. And if you eat at a deficit, you won't lose any more weight eating those calories in 8 hours than you would if you ate them in 10, 12, 16, 18 or 20 hours. There's nothing magic about intermittent fasting that allows it to supersede the laws of energy balance (despite some of the mystical magical claims of wizardry because it's oh so trendy right now).

There is no detailed information about limiting the amount of calories in Intermittent fasting except for the hours.

I suppose that would depend upon where you look for information about intermittent fasting. There are a lot of woo sites that are too busy extolling all the magical, miraculous properties of IF to provide any actual useful information about how to successfully utilize it for weight loss.

True true. What gets overlooked is that IF MAY help with weight loss. The better part of the IF eating schedule is that you have an increase in HGH (especially toward the end of the fasting window) and a decrease in time with elevated insulin. The fasting time helps the body with autophagy , "which allows the orderly degradation and recycling of cellular components." The fasting time can help with increasing your insulin sensitivity.

So as far as weight loss goes, IF can make it a bit easier to stay under your caloric target. But not much more.

Except that all the miracle HGH, autophagy, etc. results so far are based upon animal studies. Which may or may not correspond with actual results in humans.

w829b4s1kxq3.jpg
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

I have always considered common sense to be a good guide for weeding out nonsense. It is not always right and in time there may be an actual legitimate study that proves skipping breakfast has some other benefit. Until then I am stuck with the notion that most people fast for ~12 hours just eating normally. I can't imagine what 4 additional hours will do that the previous 12 were not already doing. I will be glad to be proven wrong because I have skipped breakfast for more than 20 years but the notion it has a significant health benefit is absurd to me. It is more likely to me that any benefit that showed up in lab animals translates at a very tiny rate to humans perhaps even immeasurable.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator

Except that all the miracle HGH, autophagy, etc. results so far are based upon animal studies. Which may or may not correspond with actual results in humans.

w829b4s1kxq3.jpg

Let's also not forget that increase HGH is great and it may be somewhat protective against muscle loss, but protein turnover is what is really important. This is the equivalent of the BCAA argument. Yes, leucine stimulates MPS, but you need the rest of the EAA to to have muscle growth. And yes, higher levels of HGH can provide additional benefit to muscle gains, but you still need to create more cells than you lose. And let's not forgot that insulin is beneficial for muscle gains as it prevents protein breakdown.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    I hate that ridiculous and insulting “woo” button. This guy is obviously intelligent, well spoken, and merely wanting to share and discuss his experience with intermittent fasting...and that got him nine “woos” on his original post and nothing else.

Congrats on your loss, OP...well done. Disregard the condescension...it abounds here.

I ignore the Woo button - since many people mistakenly think it means "woo hoo", it is a useless reaction.

In fact, when it was first launched it officially had both a negative and positive meaning.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited May 2018

If you don't create a calorie deficit through IF, you're not going to lose weight.

h27zjawgvyoy.jpg
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Let's also not forget that increase HGH is great and it may be somewhat protective against muscle loss, but protein turnover is what is really important. This is the equivalent of the BCAA argument. Yes, leucine stimulates MPS, but you need the rest of the EAA to to have muscle growth. And yes, higher levels of HGH can provide additional benefit to muscle gains, but you still need to create more cells than you lose. And let's not forgot that insulin is beneficial for muscle gains as it prevents protein breakdown.

And from what I've read, it's my understanding that increases in endogenous HGH amount to basically nothing when it comes to benefits for muscle growth. It requires supraphysical amounts to evoke an effect of any significant magnitude.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    psuLemon wrote: »

And from what I've read, it's my understanding that increases in endogenous HGH amount to basically nothing when it comes to benefits for muscle growth. It requires supraphysical amounts to evoke an effect of any significant magnitude.

Most likely. What I find funny, is that the promoters of increases HGH from IF, always turn out to be small (Dr. Fung, That guy from the video on the second page).
  • WOLFION10
    WOLFION10 Posts: 2 Member
    I am not loosing as much as u are I am loosing 500grams per week . Though I want to know whether u have restricted the carb intake ??
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    fb47 wrote: »
    Has anyone experienced this?

I have been consistently losing weight (2lbs/week) over the last three months, and yesterday I began intermittent fasting 16/8.

At my weigh in yesterday I had lost 3lbs, and today another 2lbs.

The only change to my routine was limiting my food intake to that 8 hour block, I have even been eating more than my avg caloric intake these last few days.

Has anyone experience similar effects with intermittent fasting?

Thanks ahead of time for any input.

It's mainly water weight and sodium at this point. You will only see the effects of fat loss long term...I just hope you don't fast more than 48 hours per week and that you still intake the necessary calories for you to lose weight at a decent pace or else you will be playing with fire.

16:8 means you fast for 16 hours with an 8 hour eating window each day. I don’t think OP was talking about fasting beyond that so 48hr shouldn’t be a risk
  • hookahbinx
    hookahbinx Posts: 74 Member
    Whoosh effect I've been fasting and have lost 3 lbs in 2 days. One meal a day
  • hookahbinx
    hookahbinx Posts: 74 Member
    Congrats!
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    But seriously: I have had up to 5lb fluctuations from a number of things, notably a long (multi-hour) endurance effort.

Exactly, I can do 2-4 hours of cycling and weight 3-5 pounds more than I did for the next few days as my body is retaining fluids to repair muscles from the effort.

Then I'll suddenly "lose" 3 pounds in a day as it's done with the fluids...

Short term numbers are almost meaningless. It's the long term trend that matters.