Demotivated.

Options
Took a week off from lifting as I injured my inner elbows. (Was trying to correct my upper back not being tight during squats and tried the bend the bar on your back cue.)

Today I tried to go back. I had to drop 20-25 lbs from all my lifts. Which is almost 1 month of progress gone. Kind of demotivated from that big set back.

Replies

• BishopWankapin
    BishopWankapin Posts: 276 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I could have been a load of things affecting it beyond a single week off. I've had weeks where I PR'd 4 out of 5 days on most lifts and then had to drop a significant amount off the bar on the last day because of lack of rest, not getting enough to eat, etc.

Put half the weight you dropped back on the bar in your next workout and see how you do. You might find that you have to put it all back on because it's too easy, and that today was just a bad day.

Regardless, sometimes life happens and we just have to roll with it. On the bright side, you're not starting all the way back at the beginning so that's something. You'll get it back. Just be smart, watch your form, and listen to your body.
  • blopmiyers
    blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I could have been a load of things affecting it beyond a single week off. I've had weeks where I PR'd 4 out of 5 days on most lifts and then had to drop a significant amount off the bar on the last day because of lack of rest, not getting enough to eat, etc.

Put half the weight you dropped back on the bar in your next workout and see how you do. You might find that you have to put it all back on because it's too easy, and that today was just a bad day.

Regardless, sometimes life happens and we just have to roll with it. On the bright side, you're not starting all the way back at the beginning so that's something. You'll get it back. Just be smart, watch your form, and listen to your body.

I should've mentioned I dropped that much because my inner elbow area started to hurt so I dropped it until it didn't. I'll start building back up to where I was, I mean it could've been worse I suppose. Now I just have to figure out why that upper back cue caused me to injure myself lol
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    You’ll find in the course of your training career that you will have to deload and reload many times for injury, for technique, for a host of other unforeseeable reasons. In four years, I’ve no less than had to reload my squat a dozen times.

But it motivates me , because I just want to get better and stronger.
    Options
    blopmiyers wrote: »

I should've mentioned I dropped that much because my inner elbow area started to hurt so I dropped it until it didn't. I'll start building back up to where I was, I mean it could've been worse I suppose. Now I just have to figure out why that upper back cue caused me to injure myself lol

Send me video of your setup, with particular focus on your back
  • blopmiyers
    blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
    Options

Is it alright if I send it on Wednesday? Tomorrow is a rest day. Thank you in advance for offering help!
    Options

Is it alright if I send it on Wednesday? Tomorrow is a rest day. Thank you in advance for offering help!

There’s no timetable! Happy to help!
  • loftus4827
    loftus4827 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Injuries are an inevitable fact of life, especially if you're putting your body through some serious training. Try not to let it bring you down too much because you WILL get back at it. Crosstrain what you can in the meantime. Good luck!!