Crossfit

Options
anyone find a crossfit calorie burn calculator out there? how do you log your crossfit workouts?

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting in the cardio section
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Or maybe even circuit in cardio
  • Sober_Is_Sexy
    Sober_Is_Sexy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Wear a HR monitor
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    Just log it as cardio. That’s pretty much what it is.

@Sober_Is_Sexy HR monitors don’t work for that. I thought everyone knew that by now. There are literally thousands of articles on that topic on Google.

Please enlighten me cause I use a HR monitor when I'm doing Crossfit to monitor my intensity. I can't find any scholar articles who support your claims, perhaps I'm using the wrong search words so please share with me where you got that knowledge.

They certainly can help monitor your "intensity" what they can't do is monitor your calorie burn.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    HR monitors are very very very bad at predicting calorie burn for anything other than steady state cardio...... I have had some CrossFit sessions where I have apparently burnt 400 calories and others of similar intensities where i have only burnt 200 odd. I average it out around 300 under circuit training and that seems to work well.
  • alyssa_rest
    alyssa_rest Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I do crossfit style workouts at home and I log circuit training in cardio (normally 10 minutes less than I actually do) and just make sure to keep my heart rate in the burn zone.
  • Sober_Is_Sexy
    Sober_Is_Sexy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    Just log it as cardio. That’s pretty much what it is.

@Sober_Is_Sexy HR monitors don’t work for that. I thought everyone knew that by now. There are literally thousands of articles on that topic on Google.

Well excuuuuse me. Guess I need to brush up on my THOUSANDS of Google article readings.
  • trinoaks
    trinoaks Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @OP: I would like to know, too. I agree that monitoring heart rate really doesn't give a good estimation of calorie burn. I would really love to see a chart or calculator that lists each element of a CF workout and correlates that to calories burned.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    trinoaks wrote: »
    @OP: I would like to know, too. I agree that monitoring heart rate really doesn't give a good estimation of calorie burn. I would really love to see a chart or calculator that lists each element of a CF workout and correlates that to calories burned.

That would basically be impossible given the number of variables.
  • trinoaks
    trinoaks Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    trinoaks wrote: »
    I would really love to see a chart or calculator that lists each element of a CF workout and correlates that to calories burned.

That would basically be impossible given the number of variables.

I'm thinking of something along the lines of a calculator that lets you input, say, the type (e.g. slamball), the weight (e.g. 40lb), number of reps, and your body weight, and gives you the approximate number of calories burned. It might take some time to build a database like this, but I think it could be done.

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I'd log it as circuit training. I know that technically HR monitors aren't supposed to BW accurate for lifting or crossfit, but I use the numbers my garmin gives me and have been slowly bulking eating about 150-200 cals above.