Yoga class reject

Options
100_PROOF_
100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
Have you ever been thrown out of a yoga class?
If so, this is your thread!

Last week I decided to try a yoga class at a small yoga studio downtown. I never went to yoga before this. the place had good reviews online and several ladies from my real gym recommended it.

I show up and felt like I was stepping into a different world. I'm a high stress person with a big personality and find it very hard to sit still. The ladies in the class where my polar opposites! They where laid back. The room smelled like feet, farts and essential oils . I am a clean freak and noticed the various smells and dust on the baseboard and vents immediately. I guess that made it even harder for me to sit still .

The instructor told me to relax and concentrate on breathing. I told her that I have a hard time with relaxing. ( The various smells burnt my nostrils!)
She lit a candle that smelled like dirt and my mind started to race. I knew I wasn't in the right place. The weight room at the gym was calling my name but I tried to stick it out anyway.

We began to pose and suddenly a man started letting out loud toots! I just stood up and moved my mat to the other side of the room. It was impossible for me to concentrate at this point. Besides I didn't know what the heck I was doing anyway.

I know farting is something that all humans do but is it unreasonable to move your mat away from someone who is breaking wind 4 feet from your face?

After the farting incident I had to go find a tissue and disrupted the class again.

After that I needed to pee so got up again.

Then I got confused so she kept having to come correct me and tell me to relax and be zen or something.

After the class was over the instructor politely told me that I should work on beginners yoga at home and come back when I'm ready to open up to it. I told her that I don't think yoga is for me but wanted to give it a shot anyway. She went on and on about being zen and that my vibes where throwing off her zen or something. She said I was putting out bad vibes and polluting the zen in her studio or something strange like that. I told her that I can't control what types of vibes I send out so this is just who I am.

I left really feeling like yoga is not my forte and that I should stay in the weight room.

Anyone else have any yoga fails?

Replies

• Live0rDieTrying
    Live0rDieTrying Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I went into a pilates (I think?) class with my mother in law once - had a similar experience, and overall felt pretty uncomfortable with the human shaped pretzels farting in the class. I mean, I was the only one that was trying to keep my composure, since I suppose I'm still immature enough to laugh at people farting. It made it difficult to focus on the task at hand. I haven't been back since then and I think it was well over 2 years ago. Ha!
  • 100_PROOF_
    Options
    I went into a pilates (I think?) class with my mother in law once - had a similar experience, and overall felt pretty uncomfortable with the human shaped pretzels farting in the class. I mean, I was the only one that was trying to keep my composure, since I suppose I'm still immature enough to laugh at people farting. It made it difficult to focus on the task at hand. I haven't been back since then and I think it was well over 2 years ago. Ha!

Thank you. I was starting to think that I was the only one here that ever dealt with the farting freight train.

I doubt that I'll ever go back. It was clear that I didn't fit in. I don't want to fit in there! Lol!

• 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Attended tonnes of yoga sessions in LA with my mum aka Kookie 1 (religious meditation) or my sister aka Kookie 2 (enlightenment).

I loathe woodsy smells period. I have zero filter. I cannot stand hair oils mixed with smelly feet smells. I can't stand incense. AND if people do not know how to launder their workout wear or go au naturel (armpits/ privates) with zero grooming ... Gawd!!

With sister: I kept telling my sister ... "It smells in here. I think I am having an allergic reaction" She told me to "suck it up, and not behave like an uncouth animal." My response "vomit sound."

With mum: Some nuns in the ashram tend to go au naturel. My mum informs us of this. I have known this fact ALL MY LIFE. I have to have respect. She knows to keep me upwind or else I am prone to hurl .. quick exit to throw up.

Well ventilated facilities aren't so bad. Think stuffy studios are what has popularised "at home yoga sessions."

• 100_PROOF_
    Options
    Attended tonnes of yoga sessions in LA with my mum aka Kookie 1 (religious meditation) or my sister aka Kookie 2 (enlightenment).

I loathe woodsy smells period. I have zero filter. I cannot stand hair oils mixed with smelly feet smells. I can't stand incense. AND if people do not know how to launder their workout wear or go au naturel (armpits/ privates) with zero grooming ... Gawd!!

With sister: I kept telling my sister ... "It smells in here. I think I am having an allergic reaction" She told me to "suck it up, and not behave like an uncouth animal." My response "vomit sound."

With mum: Some nuns in the ashram tend to go au naturel. My mum informs us of this. I have known this fact ALL MY LIFE. I have to have respect. She knows to keep me upwind or else I am prone to hurl .. quick exit to throw up.

Well ventilated facilities aren't so bad. Think stuffy studios are what has popularised "at home yoga sessions."

This pretty much sums up my experience as well!

I don't do well with the dirty wet dog smells ( there was no dogs there just humans lol!)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Personally, I can deal with smelly people, but the workspace should smell fairly clean.

It sounds like there were too many people and too little space. I can't recall ever smelling anyone in a yoga session. Although I'm usually the mad tooter so you'll get no sympathy from me there(although I totally get you wanting to have some space)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    OMG your post made my morning. Still smiling after reading that post.

I can relate 100%. I went to yoga once when I was extremely large and promised by acquaintances that it was a "great space and very accommodating". I think I was the only woman in there who bathed in the past week and didn't douse herself in patchouli or other smelly things. While I wasn't the largest woman there, I was the only one who was berated for having weak wrists and "not even trying". I really tried, too. I didn't get kicked out but I never went back.

Similar experience with Zumba. I went twice and had so much secondhand embarrassment about the horrible music, I could not handle it. I'll take dancing in a club or even the pit at a metal show (yes even at age 41) before I'd ever do THAT again!

I did get kicked out of tumbling and 2 dance classes as a little kid for being too hyper and not listening. So there's that too :sweat_smile:

• stanmann571
    Options
    There's yoga as fitness and Yoga as spirituality. And yes, in most cases, there are elements of both, but it seems that in most of my experiences, fitness has been at the fore and zen/spirituality takes the back seat.

Although, as an aside, given the way some people wear their yoga gear it's possible that au natural would be less revealing.
  • 100_PROOF_
    Options
    that makes sense. I think I went to a place that was more about spirituality rather than fitness and that might explain why I was so out of place.

I stuck out like a sore thumb! I heard so many nice things about yoga that I figured it was worth a try. I'm open to learning new things and know that my big personality can be off putting for some. I tried hard to tone it back but mischief seems to follow me wherever I go.

• 100_PROOF_
    Options
    I forgot to turn my ringer off at first and my phone kept chiming. My ringtone is get money / notorious big Lil Kim
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I loved your post.
    I've never tried Yoga because I'm afraid of farting or getting tickled at someone else farting...lol.
    I did get asked not to come back to a step class once :# Who knew you had to be coordinated to step...lol.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    I've never been to a 'hot yoga' session...but can only imagine the aromas of that experience :#
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I was concerned about the "aromas" of a hot yoga class, but the one I've been to has been very clean and no bad smells (maybe I have a bad nose). I've also never encountered a tooter although I've heard it's pretty common. I wouldn't totally give up on yoga as it has some great benefits for weightlifters. I would check out some home youtube videos however like Yoga with Adriene. Then you can get the benefit in your own clean, scent free home. ;) I'm also a HUGE fan of Yin Yoga. It might be really difficult for you since it does involve stillness, but I think if you slowly build up to it, it can teach you how to relax some.
  • 100_PROOF_
    Options
    I may still try to learn yoga but definitely in my own home .
    I dislike cardio but do it just for GP . I just don't do a lot of it. Maybe 15-20 mins 4-5 days per week.
    I enjoy weight lifting and do that 4 days per week. The only time I've ever run in my life was to catch the ice cream truck. I'm more concerned with being strong rather than looking thin. I do know that it's not everyones cup of tea though and that's okay. Maybe I'm just not cut out for the vast aromas of a yoga studio.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    That's why I go to the Y. It's just about the stretching, flexibility, etc. We're all pretty laid back about it. It's also the same room where we do Zumba and pump so there's not much of a spiritual element.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i got politely asked to leave a hot yoga once because i kept slipping in the puddle of sweat that was gathering around me and then started laughing and couldn't stop...

i've tried many yoga studios over the years - they can be hit or miss - its about finding one that works for you - for me, it was one where there was an instructor that did Star Wars yoga (I kid you not)
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    I was concerned about the "aromas" of a hot yoga class, but the one I've been to has been very clean and no bad smells (maybe I have a bad nose). I've also never encountered a tooter although I've heard it's pretty common. I wouldn't totally give up on yoga as it has some great benefits for weightlifters. I would check out some home youtube videos however like Yoga with Adriene. Then you can get the benefit in your own clean, scent free home. ;) I'm also a HUGE fan of Yin Yoga. It might be really difficult for you since it does involve stillness, but I think if you slowly build up to it, it can teach you how to relax some.

Good to hear about your experience with hot yoga...I've always wanted to try it out. I've not experienced the smells and other 'things' with regular classes either.

Love Pilates too - actually I absolutely love Yoga/Pilates 'infused' classes :)
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    a good yoga studio is well ventilated - smells great - is clean - has moving air- good space and plenty of tolerance for newbies or any other distraction...so
  • stanmann571
    Options
    Not criticizing, but am I the only dude here?

Feels sort of like a yoga class :wink: :blush:
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I've only done hot yoga a handful of times, but always had a pretty good experience. I was really more about the difficult poses and less about the whole "my energy speaks to yours" or whatever. The last 10 minutes of just laying there with a cucumber scented towel over the eyes was the worst. I was thinking, if we're done, let's go home already!