And this would be why I am not allowed to cook....

Options

Replies

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    My friend forgot about eggs she was hard boiling on the stove until they burned and started smoking. Her house smelled awful for months!

I did this too. Woke up 6 hours after i put them on to the noise of them exploding.

Ever had to clean burnt exploded egg from your ceiling?

I would love to say ive only forgotten once but after 4 disasters with eggs im banned from boiling them

Oh no! Takes them 6houra to explode? I would have thought much much sooner.

It probebly would if the burner was on full. I had it on number 4 to give myself longer to remember the buggers
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Not an i burnt down the kitchen disaster but i lost count of times when pregnant and the 6 months after birth that i put food in the oven after lovingly preparing it, going to serve up for the family an hour or two later only to find i forgot to turn the bugger on

Oh and ive served the bloke breast milk in his porridge many times instead of putting it in the baby cereal where i intended to pour it lol
  • stacief82
    stacief82 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I once burt carrots trying to steam them for dinner (accidentally let all the water boil out of the pan). Threw out the carrots and started over and did the same thing again. There was not a third attempt LOL. I have also caught several kitchen towels on fire and scorched paper plates turning the wrong burner on by mistake.
  • Nicole_8714
    Nicole_8714 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I remember my mom asking me to boil a pot of water for something (was years ago, so I don't remember what for) while she was laying my sister down for a nap. I was probably 12 or 13 years old at the time. Figured boiling water was easy enough. We had a small kitchen, so my mom stored her crock pot on the stove on one of the back burners when not in use. I managed to melt the knobs right off the crock pot and didn't even notice until my mom mentioned the smell. Was not allowed to make anything on the stove for years and barely allowed to bake cookies at Christmas. I barely use my stove now 15 years later.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Had to have insurance adjuster come. They are covering reprinting the walls and a new microwave which is nice. They are also covering 75% of a steam cleaning bill for the rugs.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I burned our big pan just a few days ago when making ratatouille. I'm not sure we can save it. Got to try barkeeper's best friend next I guess.

I've also ruined pans making puddings/custards, I just don't have much luck stirring enough when cooking with milk, apparently.

I've rescued surely destroyed pans by filling the bottom with lots of white vinegar, adding baking soda (it will fizz like crazy) and letting it sit for a few days. It will slowly peel off layers of burnt junk. Every few days I would empty the pan and scrub off another layer and then do the same process again. Can take a week or two of soaking and scrubbing but it works eventually.

I want to make ratatouille! Do you have a tried and true recipe?

I think my husband saved it, lol!

I just do ratatouille the way I did it in France - cut veggies in big chunks, add salt and pepper, and let simmer for a few hours (I did 6 roma tomatoes, 2 zucchini, 1 eggplant, 2 onions, 2 red peppers and just added some minced garlic because I didn't have fresh). Ate it all week. There's a lot of liquid from the tomatoes too so you can eat it as a soup as well.

Expensive though. Sigh. Can't wait for Summer veggie season.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I’ve done that too, but only once. LOL
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I think that can also be called how to burn 200 calories in less than 15 minutes. My sister still hold the record (IMO) for worst kitchen screw up - she managed to set milk on fire.
  • jrochest
    jrochest Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I recently destroyed my favorite small pot -- put two eggs on to hard boil, forgot about them and LEFT THE HOUSE FOR FIVE HOURS. Came home to blackened shrivelled husks of shells in a mass of charcoal; I've been trying to clean off the scorch but there isn't enough baking soda and vinegar in the world. I'm seriously thinking about oven cleaner!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    I think that can also be called how to burn 200 calories in less than 15 minutes. My sister still hold the record (IMO) for worst kitchen screw up - she managed to set milk on fire.

Do I want to know how she managed to do that?
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Lol, I feel your pain. My specialty is exploding boiled eggs on the ceiling.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Ah I used to be terrible. I would burn stuff all the time or food just wouldnt taste right. I used to hate cooking.

Over time I have gotten better. Now I would say I'm a good cook. Everyone seems to love my food. It takes practice.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Oh my... perhaps a raw food diet would be right up your alley? :D
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Not a cooking disaster - but a freezer disaster.

One night we were fast asleep when we were woken by large bang, sounded like gunshot.
    Jumped out of bed, looked outside, all quiet, nobody else had stirred, our dog went back to sleep, so nobody on our property so we went back to bed.

In the morning husband goes to get something out the freezer and there is Pepsi max can he had put in there to cool down quicker and forgotten about - can had exploded, tiny shards of tin and frozen Pepsi flying everywhere.

I had a similar experience. My husband and I got in the car one very cold morning to go to work, and all over the car (especially the ceiling) was little brown splatters. For a minute I thought something horrible happened, but then I dipped my finger in one of the spots, smelled it, and then tasted it. Root beer. He had left a can of root beer energy drink in the back seat of the car, and it got so cold that it froze and exploded overnight. Luckily the car was 20+ years old, we didn’t even really bother cleaning it. Got rid of it not long after.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,991 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh - off topic but cannot imagine living anywhere that cans of soft drink can freeze solid left in a car overnight. :o

So far out of my experience, that one.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    My son tried to make a quesadilla in the microwave last night. He put it in FOR FIVE MINUTES! Ugh, my house stunk!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    My son tried to make a quesadilla in the microwave last night. He put it in FOR FIVE MINUTES! Ugh, my house stunk!

My son put thin turkey bacon in the microwave for 4 minutes. I had to throw out the plate, and it took me forever to clean the microwave plate!