Meal replacement shakes

Options
Has anyone tried any meal replacement shakes? Do they help you stay on track? Do they fill you up? Any input would be helpful, good or bad. Thank you

Replies

• Tyrnis
    Tyrnis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I've tried them in the past, I haven't found them particularly filling.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Sometimes they are okay for a meal on the run. I wouldn't have them every day. I used to make smoothies which were essentially meal replacement shakes they had protein powder and fruits and vegetables about 300 calories. They kept me going in the morning for about 2 hours or so then I was starving. All in all I would say not that great but sometimes they are necessary if you have no time to eat.
  • 43kelli
    43kelli Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks. Thats what I thought.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I make smoothies out of 1 cup skim milk or almond milk with 1 cup frozen strawberries and I add a scoop of slim fast vanilla powder and it keeps me satisfied for at least 3 hours works for me and has helped me drop the pounds. I've tried other protein or shake powders that I haven't liked, find what works for you.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Vegan protein powder blended with milk and ice in a vitamix makes a texture and thickness that fills me up for hours, but I can't afford my own vitamix so I have to get em at a shake bar and thats WAY too expensive as well.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I have used them in the past because I could keep a few cans in my desk at the office and if I needed to work through lunch and din't bring anything in, it would help me get through the afternoon. I would be less hungry but still hungry. Helped get macros for the day.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll buy one from my work if I'm really busy and no time to eat. I get a mix of fruit, veg, protein and fat, maybe some extra carbs if I need it. It's not a bad option if you'd rather drink a meal than eat one. Either way, they both have calories.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I've used them for convenience/ease of prep. I've switched to alternatives, but may go back.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    i like food. and... i refuse to drink my meals.

cause ... food. mmmmm

Same... sure we are not related? lol
  • lyndsfattofit
    lyndsfattofit Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use them if I'm on an early at work just for convenience and to fill me up till lunch. Also I don't really get a lot of dairy in my diet as I'm not a big fan so it's a way to get my calcium up mixing milk in!
    I couldn't do the recommended '3 shakes or packs a day and a healthy snack in between' I'd be STARVING!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    i like food. and... i refuse to drink my meals.

cause ... food. mmmmm

Same... sure we are not related? lol

its possible. most of my family is psycho so with your user name ..... yup. a possibility.

wait, they dont admit it .....

lolololol
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I never found anything like Slim Fast to work for me, and they are insanely high in sugar. Part of the reason they don't keep you full, I think, is because all the calories come from empty carbs which burn up really fast. However, once I started using protein shakes, I did better.

I've used this one in the past and it tasted good. It kept me from feeling hungry for 3 or 4 hours, so I used it for breakfast most of the time. The protein in this one is vegan if that is important to you. I used 1.5 servings of this as a meal replacement, shaken in a blender bottle. https://shop.oxyfresh.com/products/vibe/

Recently we started using this product, partly because it's less expensive due to containing whey protein. I eat meat and dairy and so have no issue with whey protein. I use 2 scoops of this as a breakfast shake every weekday, usually drinking it in the car on the way to work. The chocolate and cinnamon flavors are really good and mix well in a blender bottle. The vanilla we aren't really fans of and it seems to stay clumpy unless put in the blender. This one does contain artificial sweeteners, of which I usually steer clear, but I really can't taste anything offputting, just sweetness. https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/rsp-nutrition/truefit.html?skuId=RSP4900016

For both of these products, I have used unsweetened unflavored almond milk as the liquid for mixing. Hope that helps. I should add that my husband and 15 year old daughter both also drink these most weekday mornings, and my 15 year old is a VERY picky eater. I think that attests to the fact that they both actually taste pretty good.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I find protien shakes to be more satisfying than standard meal replacement shakes.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have a protein shake. I find them filling and they help me add protein to my diet. Not everyday, just when i feel like it
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Premier Protien shakes in a bottle are good. They come in many flavors and have 30 grams of protien.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of satisfaction from chewing. So shakes double my misery when dieting. A little hungry with no chewing.

I did try out a home recipe for solyent. I mostly made it when I was depressed.