Meal replacement shakes

2»

Replies

• kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Danp wrote: »

Meal "replacement" indicates that you're foregoing meals and having shakes to lose weight which is a temporary fix and I feel sets you up for a backslide once you stop replacing your meals.

So yeah. Shake/smoothie meal as a part of your normal eating schedule = perfectly fine. Giving up real food and drinking your calories as a 'weight loss solution' = temporary fix and much higher chance of coming unstuck.

I could not agree more. When I lost my 90lbs, it was all about none of this and lots of that and take this little pill and see the "coach" once a week. Most of the weight is still off, but it was creeping back. Now I am about better choices, eat when I am hungry, track what I eat, saying no when I feel like it, relaxing without guilt and walking walking walking. I think this plan will take me to my 80th birthday..
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    i like food. and... i refuse to drink my meals.

cause ... food. mmmmm

Same... sure we are not related? lol

its possible. most of my family is psycho so with your user name ..... yup. a possibility.

wait, they dont admit it .....

lolololol

CUZZZ!!! LOL
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    I got bought those "Idealshake" shakes you see advertised on FB. I was half expecting it to be bogus, but I was pleasantly surprised that they're pretty damn good (the vanilla and salted caramel especially). I was always getting hungry between lunch and dinner, and it's only 100 calories (130 if using unsweetened almond milk) and filling. The key is to blend if up with ice, slurp it down, and drink 8oz of water immediately afterward and you're good for 3 hours.
  • FindingLaurie
    FindingLaurie Posts: 32 Member
    May I just suggest that you try a NutriBullet instead of spending the money on a VitaMix? NutriBullet's are about $89 (less if you can find a 20% off coupon for Bed Bath & Beyond!), and those suckers can pulverize anything!! I love mine. I put everything in it--whole veggies, seeds, etc. Really great little machine.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I only drink them when my gastroparesis and Crohn's are very bad and I can't eat solid food
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 217 Member
    edited May 2018
    I am a fan of Soylent myself. A lot of shakes are low cal and are specifically for dieting. Soylent is meant as a meal replacement - so it’s 400 calories per serving with 20% of daily nutrients. It comes in powder or liquid. Just a heads up they are pro GMO and label their products as such. I used to consume 50% of my calories on Soylent. It’s convenient, quick, and easy. I always added crushed ice to chew on - made it feel more satisfying, it always did fill me up. Fast forward to today, I usually make smoothies with Kale, fruit, oats, chia, Greek Yogurt, PBFit, avocado and almond milk. Making smoothies is more cost effective and I can have a variety of flavors depending on the fruit I add. However, I keep Soylent on hand for those nights the blender is dirty or need a quick meal. (I prep my breakfast the night before)

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    I drink protein shakes when I need the extra protein, but I don't find them (or any other liquids, for that matter) very satiating.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    I do the protein "smoothie" more than a "shake" because I use crushed ice, slightly thawed frozen strawberries, along with Greek yogurt and vanilla protein powder.

It's sweet, tastes like dessert and super filling. It's not a meal replacement for me when I have them (which is not always), but a meal itself - especially when I double up the protein.
  • ejb499
    ejb499 Posts: 53 Member
    I don’t find them very satisfying. I have tried most of the premier protein flavors and can’t get myself to like them. They also don’t keep me full.

Protein BARS on the other hand! I usually have at least one of those per day. They taste better, keep me full longer and I get the satisfaction of chewing my calories. Most go great with coffee too!