how to not cheat or eat late at night??

Options
so right now im doing south beach diet. i used to be anorexic which led to binge eating disorder but now im ok :-). i just keep eating late at night as a routine now and i keep eating so much. how do i stop or what are some methods to avoid this? i was thinking if i got hungry i would leave cucumber slices w ranch by my bed or ice cold water. but what do you think?

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    To me, using the mfp way, cheating is not logging. To not cheat, I log everything. then it requires discipline - if I don't have the budget, I can't eat more unless I want to go over or "borrow" from tomorrow by logging it as if it was eaten tomorrow and then plan things more carefully the next day so I don't go over. Or sometimes I accept going over a little. You can keep your log private (mine's wide open) if that makes it easier to log everything. Just you knowing where you stand all the time could help. You would know what the decision to eat late means with respect to your goals.
  • DannyGonzo21
    DannyGonzo21 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would just keep the calories low-to-semi low. Snacks after dinner don't need to be bad if you know what you're eating. A Peanut Butter sandwich (no or low sugar jelly) and milk is a decent go to. It has a good amount of carbs, some protein, and healthy fats. Also, a Casein Shake or some other sort of Time Released protein shake is nice to have late. These kinds of small meals can quell hunger for a while and are relatively low in calories, while still nutritious. If you're out at night it can't hurt to choose what works and avoid going overboard. If you're bulking your body might just wake you up naturally to eat, but if cutting or keeping the calories in check, small snacks/meals about an hour before sleep aren't bad. I'm not entirely familiar with he South Beach Diet but this is just my opinion on the subject.
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I like to eat something before I go to bed, so I usually have a sugar free jello cup, which is 5 calories. Or, I have some tea with a splash of milk and that seems to fill me up as well.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    To minimise my evening snacks, I enjoy a cup of tea or try and do something that isn't really compatible with eating (eg knitting or painting my nails)

I do try and save a few calories for a snack too.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    elothen wrote: »
    Unsalted almonds are my favorite snack. Not too hard to resist over eating and they'll fill your belly with protein for the night. win/win

Very hard to resist overeating pour moi. My favorite, too. Like kryptonite.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I'm a big time evening snacker. I love it and can't relax and watch a show without something to munch on. I don't consider it cheating. I am always mindful to leave a couple hundred calories for my night snacks. I keep a range of snacks in various calories so I can almost always fit something in, even if I used most of my calories that day. One thing I like is outshine popsicles. They are around 40 calories per pop. If I'm really ravenous or bored I find that they help curb the urge to binge on sweets!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Outshine popsicles are good, but I almost always have 2 fudgesickle for a total of 180 cal and some small tootsi rolls, usually around 120 cal. I’m only eating around 1400 cal but have a sweet tooth at night. You can snack at night, just fit it into your calories for the day.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I typically plan for a midnight bowl of oatmeal.
  • MrsRachaelFisk1
    MrsRachaelFisk1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    What does this diet actually include? Like what are you eating in a day?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i keep calories saved so i'm not cheating, and i have no issue eating late. these are old ideas. you can eat whenever. eat within your calorie allotment and you'll be fine
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Do you know how many calories you're eating a day now?

If I was feeling this hungry at night, I'd worry that I wasn't getting enough to eat. This is particularly concerning if you're in ED recovery because not eating enough can make it harder to stay on track and, of course, it's just not good for you.

I did South Beach about 15 years ago and my experience is that I wasn't getting enough to eat and I wasn't getting enough fat overall and it was really bad for my binges.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I like to have a little snack after dinner, so I pre-log my food so that I know how many calories I am leaving myself for the rest of the day.
  • kiwiroz
    kiwiroz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I used to snack all night long. Now when I have had my calories for the day I go and brush my teeth and that is my signal that I am done. That and pre logging. I try and leave room for say some Greek yogurt and some fruit (or something chocolate)
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth when you are done with food for the evening.