Adding burned calories into diet

Options
Hey guys! So my current fitness goal is weight loss. I am on a low-calorie diet that I’m currently following in MFP. I’ve been doing some research to try and find out if I really should be adding back in the calories I burned during my workouts. I’ve read not to do that, and I’ve read you should do that. I know that consuming too few calories could potentially cause the body to go into “starvation mode” and therefore hold onto fat. And that would be pretty frustrating for me. I usually do circuit workouts that last a total of 30 minutes, with 20 minutes of low intensity cardio to warm up before that. The cardio alone burns roughly 150 calories and I haven’t been able to yet pin point how many my circuit Training burns.
What do you guys suggest I do? I’m trying best I can to not harm my body while maintaining the reach toward my fitness goal.

Replies

• triciale555
    triciale555 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You’re right this argument goes both ways and many people here will tell you MFP calculates so you eat your calories back. Personally I listen to my body. There are times when I work out a lot and eat it all back and times when I just eat a small snack with protein. I don’t want to force myself to eat because of the MFP calculations.
    Good luck
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    The MFP calculations, like everything else including your exercise calories and TDEE, are just estimates.

You can start by eating about 1/2 of them back and see how it goes. Adjust as necessary.

Your results are more important than the estimates or what anyone on here says.

* Don't confuse "starvation mode" -which is BS- with so-called metabolic syndrome that can have a small effect in some people.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    There is no such thing as starvation mode in the sense that you're talking about. You don't hold onto fat in a calorie deficit. What will happen is that you will become more tired, peckish, and hungry, making you less energetic, so you'll move less, and (since you're hungrier) more likely to binge.

Check out this link for more details: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

You should be eating back at least a portion of your calories to fuel your workouts. Women should be netting a minimum of 1200 calories per day, men 1500. I generally eat back half and keep the other half as a cushion against underestimated calories and overestimated exercise burns.

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Your also going to get differing information around the net because there are different ways of calculating your calorie needs. Some already include exercise and average it out over the week (TDEE). MFP's method (NEAT) doesn't account for intentional exercise when it calculates your deficit and expects you to add it in as you do it.

Either way you're eating exercise calories which helps fuel your workouts and keeps you from having too large a deficit. The important things is to take the time to figure out what your burns actually are as all methods only give estimates.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    The MFP calculations, like everything else including your exercise calories and TDEE, are just estimates.

You can start by eating about 1/2 of them back and see how it goes. Adjust as necessary.

Your results are more important than the estimates or what anyone on here says.

* Don't confuse "starvation mode" -which is BS- with so-called metabolic syndrome that can have a small effect in some people.

I believe you're thinking of 'metabolic adaptation'. Metabolic syndrome is a completely different and unrelated thing.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    @AnvilHead No sir, I meant to refer to syndrome but you are of course correct. Different things.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,975 Member
    Options
    I think your post has pretty much been addressed.

Every person is different in their preference in terms of NEAT versus TDEE. I personally prefer TDEE as my activity level over a week stays pretty consistent, and I like predictable portion sizes at my meals. Changing how much I eat in a day, based on that day's activities, would drive me insane, so I go with a TDEE method where I eat approximately the same amount each day, and my activity levels are already part of that.

From there, you can adjust up or down depending on your loss rates/goals. The numbers the calculators generate are all just generalizations, your individual needs may vary from them by a bit. Track your weight in a weight trend app, and after a few weeks of tracking it, you'll have an idea if you're headed in the right direction or if you need to make some adjustments.
  • iyobosaaiyanyo
    iyobosaaiyanyo Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and you would get different answers..
    Personally I eat back my calories and have still being able to drop 2% Bobyfat per month it's not much but it's being consistently that in the last 3 months so I am sticking with that at moment.
    I weigh myself every 4 weeks and adjust my weight on MFP accordingly.
    I do strength training 3 days a week which I don't enter in MFP I use that as a backup for MFP burn calculation errors.
    The only burn entered to MFP is my jogging or walks and so far so good
  • chandraminick
    chandraminick Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try eating all your calories back for six weeks, and see if you're still losing at the end of the six weeks. If you are still losing, don't mess with it. If your not losing, try eating only a portion of them back for the next six weeks. Figure out where you really are.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and you would get different answers..
    Personally I eat back my calories and have still being able to drop 2% Bobyfat per month it's not much but it's being consistently that in the last 3 months so I am sticking with that at moment.
    I weigh myself every 4 weeks and adjust my weight on MFP accordingly.
    I do strength training 3 days a week which I don't enter in MFP I use that as a backup for MFP burn calculation errors.
    The only burn entered to MFP is my jogging or walks and so far so good

safe mode of fat loss and weight loss is 1% body weight. and if that is a current pic of yourself 2% loss is too aggressive and you may be losing mass too.
This discussion has been closed.