Fillling foods

Options
cnjg420
cnjg420 Posts: 405 Member
What food have you found that fills you up the best? I’m trying different snacks since I’m a snacker after dinner and could use some ideas thanks

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    cnjg420 wrote: »
    What food have you found that fills you up the best? I’m trying different snacks since I’m a snacker after dinner and could use some ideas thanks

Unfortunately, different people find different foods filling. It's usually one of, or some combo of, protein, fat, and fiber.

I personally find what works best for me is to make sure I eat filling foods during my meals and then use snacks as treats. I tend to need a decent amount of volume to feel full, and I'm not really going to get that in a snack.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses with specific suggestions, just wanted to say that you'll have to use trial and error to see which ones will work for you and which ones won't. Good luck!
  • hannat5017
    hannat5017 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Just a few suggestions I used to be a huge after dinner snack person and halo top was my go to. But also love protein bars, meat and a few crackers, hard boiled egg. Basically anything with protein
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, a hard boiled egg or pretzels sustain me until the next meal. Anything very sweet like standard granola bars or sweetened yogurt leave me unsatisfied and wanting more. Unsweetened Greek yogurt with a bit of sweetener or fruit works for me, too.
  • ccbloom1
    ccbloom1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I love a cup of 0% greek mixed with a tsp of sf/ff cheesecake jello mix and 2 TBS PB2 drizzled with some light hershey's chocolate syrup...it's a good amount and tastes like PB cheesecake!
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Lentils, especially spicy.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    For me, protein helps me feel satisfied. I love HB eggs, Greek yoghurt, tuna and crackers, laughing cow cheese and meat on a cracker.

Like kimny72 said though, everyone’s different. It took me a while to figure out that for me, personally, a snack with protein in the afternoon will help me get through the 3pm slump until dinner.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Starches for me. Rice, potatoes, all kinds of legumes, oatmeal, bread...etc are an essential part of every meal for me. When combined with protein and fiber, I find I don't really need to snack between meals most of the time (but do anyway because I feel like it). When I do get hungry between meals, apples and carrots are filling to me.

Also consider your overall calorie allowance. Did you pick the fastest rate of weight loss and now stuck with a very low allowance? Are you ignoring your exercise calories? Would slower weight loss be faster in the long run because you're more likely to stick to it?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You need a certain amount of calories and nutrients every day, or on average from day to day, in order to be healthy.

Being healthy should make you feel well, and happy, overall. But you have to accept some degree of discomfort, too, from time to time, if you want to be healthy.

Satiety is a feeling, and feelings are individual, subjective, habitual and situational.

What fills me up the best, is balanced, delicious meals, made up of a variety of nutritious foods from all the food groups, in just the right amounts. I don't snack, I just divide my daily food into three meals.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I'm a fan of pickles (onions, gherkins, beetroot) for snacking, sometimes with cubes of mature cheddar.