Recipe Ideas for a VERY Restricted Diet

Options
Cutemesoon
Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
edited May 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Help! I have various health issues that require me to stay away from certain things. There’s not much I can or want to eat. The only animal flesh I can have is wild caught salmon and organic chicken breast. I can’t have lots of green leafy vegetables. No flour, no white sugar, no canola or olive oil, onions, mushrooms or tomatoes.

The tomato is the hardest. So many yummy recipes have tomato as a base. Can anyone recommend recipes or a website that would help? Thanks.

Signed,

One depressed eater :(:'(

*EDIT* I also can't have soy or dairy. I can however have almond yogurt, milk & cheese. :smile:

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should consult your medical professional for diet and nutrition suggestions, esp if you have so many medically necessary restrictions on what you "can" eat...
  • Cutemesoon
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I am a little confused about why you can only have one lean meat protein and one fatty fish. I understand ruling out shellfish but limiting to two very specific and common items seems odd.

It has to do with digestion. Other proteins would be difficult for my system to break down.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Have your dr refer you to a dietician if you can. Your needs are complicated.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Another vote for using the Ingredients feature on allrecipes.com.
  • HealthyTardis
    HealthyTardis Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You need a consultation with a dietician. I'd recommend taking a quality multivitamin (with their approval), and perhaps a nutritional drink like boost or breeze.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    My son had a weird list of restrictions to try and avoid known migraine triggers. It included tomatoes, MSG, and old cheese which pretty well eliminated any prepared foods.

I became practiced at reading labels.

I learned to make my own sauces.

Here are alternatives you can eat:

green leafy vegetables> all the orange, root and starchy vegetables

flour > cornstarch for thickening

white sugar > skip the sugars or use Stevia

no canola or olive oil > corn, safflower oil

onions [is it the whole family? If not...] > garlic, chives, shallot

mushrooms > just skip it or replace with corn

tomatoes > squash/pumpkin purée

You also still have all the fruits, whole grains and beans/legumes. Unless this was somehow missed by whomever came up with this tortuous list.

It seems to me you could make a great coconut curry with your allowed ingredients. Stir fries are also in the running. Substitute where necessary.

For instance this recipe only has one disallowed ingredient. Simply sub the olive oil for an allowed oil.

https://healthyaperture.com/blog/post/stir-fry-made-without-soy-sauce
  • Cutemesoon
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @jgnatca Thanks a million for the great ideas! The recipe looks amazing! Can't wait to try it this wknd.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Oh! Yes. Look up coconut flour recipes. Those were a lifesaver! They use a lot of eggs/fluids, but there are some really good coconut flour recipes!

Grape seed oil works well as a general replacement for oil. Can you do ghee (clarified butter)?
  • dotren
    dotren Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Google through "whole 30" and "paleo" recipes. A lot of those could be adapted to your food restrictions. Good luck!
  • d090882
    d090882 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    simply boil potatoes and eat it - And stir fry the vegetables you can eat with chicken stock and olive oil. Simple and yummy! For sugar - strawberry & frozen berry whey protein shake.