Help I messed up!!

Options
So I’ve been trying to be more relaxed in my dieting as I’ve been working out a lot and therefore need more calories. However over the weekend, I managed to break my finger, sprain my ankle and damaged my knee (really nasty graze/deep lesion that was streaming with blood for 2 hours and it’s bruised purple). How long will it be before I can work out again? I don’t want to gain weight but I’ve had eating disorders in the past so wary of restricting too much.

Replies

• Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I would suggest plugging all your info into MFP and setting it to maintenance until your body can heal from the injuries.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    You don't want to restrict as healing from injuries is the time you don't want to do that so you recover.

Go to maintenance until you fully recover or are released from your doctor to integrate exercise back.
  • Nightsatthedrivein
    Nightsatthedrivein Posts: 4 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Thanks guys ☺️ Yeah you’re right I know you can’t give me an exact timeframe I suppose I was just hoping for a rough guesstimate? What exercises are good to do with weak joints? Should recover from my ankle soonest but wary of putting too much pressure on it.

(Oh and can’t swim because of the bandage on my finger)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys ☺️ Yeah you’re right I know you can’t give me an exact timeframe I suppose I was just hoping for a rough guesstimate? What exercises are good to do with weak joints? Should recover from my ankle soonest but wary of putting too much pressure on it.

has a doctor or physio diagnosed 'weak joints'?
  • Nightsatthedrivein
    Options

I don’t mean they’re usually weak I mean they were damaged when I fell. The doctor at a and e took a look, yeah.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

The healing of the sprain in your ankle depends on if its a mild sprain, etc. Did he/she tell you how long no weight bearing on your ankle? The large gash in your knee sounds pretty extensive as well.

I don’t mean they’re usually weak I mean they were damaged when I fell. The doctor at a and e took a look, yeah.

Sounds like you had a nasty fall and its best to continue consulting with your doctor on as speedy a recovery as you can do at home and following your doctors instructions. Recommending/suggesting things that can exabaerate your injuries here from us in the Community is not a great idea.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

and did they say to exercise?
  • Nightsatthedrivein
    Options
    Yeah that’s a fair comment I guess I just really don’t want to take time out of work if at all possible my job is quite stressful at the moment and I’ve continued to go in despite my ankle. The sprained ankle is reasonably minor, the finger is broken quite badly and the gash is really quite deep. And the doctor said to “keep it moving” - apparently they don’t recommend taking weight off it anymore.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I hope I'm wrong, but your expressions give me kind of a bad feeling, like maybe you have become fixated on exercise in place of being fixated on calories?

I would take "keep it moving" to mean not to lay on the couch all day, not to try to engage in strenuous exercise.

As has been said, just concentrate on self-care right now. You'll be able to exercise when you are able to exercise. And don't try to make up for it by going very low calorie. I looked in on your diary just to see if you had been logging at all and it looks like you just started today. I'm hoping you plan on having (a lot) more than juice & coffee today. Your body needs those calories to do the work of healing.

Be well & take care of yourself, OP. :)
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Assuming they aren't serious in injuries... start easy and do what you can manage. Even if it's just walking. Cycling can also be relatively easy on the body.

But really... this is a better conversation to have with your doctor. Seriously. With your doc.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Yeah that’s a fair comment I guess I just really don’t want to take time out of work if at all possible my job is quite stressful at the moment and I’ve continued to go in despite my ankle. The sprained ankle is reasonably minor, the finger is broken quite badly and the gash is really quite deep. And the doctor said to “keep it moving” - apparently they don’t recommend taking weight off it anymore.

True. They've found sprains actually heal faster if you keep using it.

I'd eat at maintenance and maybe walk or bike as much as you feel you can handle. Probably stationary bike, due to the finger.