pilates and calorie burns

Options
I am VERY out of shape so I thought a good way to get my muscles back into order would be to do pilates. I completed 30 minutes today and definitely felt a burn but when I entered it I notice that it burns very little calories.

If you were just starting out and doing pilates what would you do for cardo? I walk 5x a week for an hour (accelerated pace). I've given myself shin splints and tendinitis so I have to kind of take it easy on the high impact for a while.

Thanks! Any advice would be awesome!

Replies

• bahamamama2
    Options
    Have you tried any of the Wii Just Dance either using the game console and game or checking out YouTube videos. Admittedly, it takes time to be pro at the moves but getting up and dancing, with or without Just Dance is a very effective exercise.

Good luck!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Definitely walking, elliptical, running or run/walk intervals.
  • 2dayirun4me
    2dayirun4me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    the wii workouts are good cardio there is also bicycling and swimming
  • fitev
    fitev Posts: 41
    Options
    I love pilates, I'm with you..it doesn't burn as much, but I do love the feeling afterwards. I use the elliptical for cardio; very low impact. Best wishes!
  • mrmurfman
    Options
    i hope you get better soon. i would hate to be out of comission after i finaly got motivated.
  • mlpaint
    mlpaint Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for you advice. I'm going to keep up my walking and check out some wii games. I have the wii fit 2 but never use it for some strange reason. Tomorrow I will!
    Thank you Murfman for the well wishes!
  • mlpaint
    Options
    I feel amazing after! Almost like I am taller, which says a lot being as I'm only 5'1 haha
  • kbrogan78
    kbrogan78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Pilates was developed as a way to keep ballet dancers in dancing shape when they were injured and unable to dance. So the goal of the workout is to create long, lean muscle. There's nothing cardio about it but it's a great addition to any exercise regimen. It's sort of similar to yoga in that way and it absolutely should make you feel like you're standing taller afterward!

I danced when I was younger and I love, love, love Pilates. If you have a Pilates studio nearby, taking classes on the Reformer are a-mazing! When you're on the apparatus, you actually can't move unless you're able to isolate the correct muscle(s). Very eye opening.

As for cardio, I do walk/run intervals on the gym treadmill and just got the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred DVD (starting tonight). It only cost $8 on Amazon and the workouts are under 30 minutes, so I feel like it'll be easy to fit into my uber-crazy life.
  • mlpaint
    Options
    I was doing the shred when I hurt myself lol. I'm going to give it another go once I heal a bit. I made the mistake of not wearing shoes while doing it.