Coworkers baffled me...

1235»

Replies

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    When my kids were in school, "half-birthdays" were for the kids who's birthday fell during a vacation period. Where my kids went there was a monthly party involving home-made treats that included all the kids who had a birthday in that month. Parents signed up in advance to bring the treat so the quantity was limited.

Lol, I just threw a Valentines party instead, since my birthdayv
    was in July. No gifts, I justvwanted an excuse for a party :D
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Momepro wrote: »
    kkimpel wrote: »
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    People just don't know. It's not taught at school.

It's definitely taught in school. My kids did it in 6th and 7th grade health class.
    They where given a pad of paper and told to write down their foods for the weekend and look up the USDA nutrition values associated with the food choices.
    Then they where shown how many calories most people need in a day verse what most people consume.
    My children go to a American public school and I could easily go ask for the lesson plan to prove that kids are taught this in school.

As a former principal of an American public elementary school, I can tell you that it is very hard to penetrate the culture of cupcakes and doughnuts for birthdays, even HALF birthdays. The few allowed parties were full of cookies to decorate .. cupcakes, candy, even soda! Luckily, the feds outlawed soda, so that was an easy fix.

We decided as a staff to cut it out. We had a huge push, with lessons and posters and healthy choice examples for recess and "special day" snacks. We had "Garden Parties" in our school garden with tasty treats from the vegetable garden to test taste. Then we put our foot down and said, "NO" to birthday treats (you can't imagine how many birthdays and half birthdays 32 students could have) Then our few parties became "Kindness Activities" and instead of decorating huge cookies, where the main purpose of the party was to scarf down snacks while creating a giant cookie snack, the purpose became whatever project the kids had chosen. .. like making dog blankets or letters to soldiers.

While it is great for students "learn about" healthy eating, but then if the school participates in regular opportunities to celebrate based on poor food choices, that is all pretty hollow. I did earn the title of "Cupcake Nazi" Of course, we still had treats, we just made them more about regular food and not desserts only. Small desert choice, large vegetable, and protein choices. I even changed the chocolate jar for the teachers to in-season lunchbox size fruits and once a week a little chocolate treat.

At the same time, we increased active lifestyle choices at recess, free time and after school .. but that is another side of the "Fit for Life" coin and a discussion for another day. :)

What the hell is a half birthday? And why would they celebrate it?

That was my question too! Does that mean I can be 27 instead of 54? lol

I go with the 'per leg' principle...

Each of my legs is 18 years old :tongue:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    ccsernica wrote: »
    There are any number of good resources on the subject...

Indeed. Most of my reference work concentrates on coaching and change.

I stand by my original point that you took issue with.
  • CrystalLFit
    CrystalLFit Posts: 9 Member
    TEQWAR wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Sorry, don't buy this. I don't believe a normally functioning adult doesn't know that eating too much will make one fat.

When I finally meet a normally functioning adult, I'll check. Just because I haven't met one yet, doesn't mean they don't exist! :D

Lol. I'm sure you'll find one right next to the Easter bunny and leprechaun. ;)
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    debrag12 wrote: »
    Zodikosis wrote: »

Sorry, don't buy this. I don't believe a normally functioning adult doesn't know that eating too much will make one fat.

They know that, but they probably have a fuzzier notion of what "too much" is. I once had to explain to my brother that he couldn't just burn off a whole family-sized bag of chips with a quick 20 minute run. :/

Here in Britain we are told that the recommended amount of calories for a woman is 2000 a day. If I was sedentary I'd put on weight, not that most people understand/know how much they are eating.

I don't remember a health class in school.

But don't you also have minimum exercise recommendations per day? If the calorie recommendation is intended to be paired with an exercise recommendation for an "average sized" woman that might not be off.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    edited March 2018

They know that, but they probably have a fuzzier notion of what "too much" is. I once had to explain to my brother that he couldn't just burn off a whole family-sized bag of chips with a quick 20 minute run. :/

Here in Britain we are told that the recommended amount of calories for a woman is 2000 a day. If I was sedentary I'd put on weight, not that most people understand/know how much they are eating.

Yes, and now they are also saying spilt the calories 400/600/600 for breakfast, lunch and dinner and 200 for snacks
    If I followed that I'd definitely put on weight, even going to the gym every day! The recommended exercise is much less than that.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    tess5036 wrote: »

Yes, and now they are also saying spilt the calories 400/600/600 for breakfast, lunch and dinner and 200 for snacks
    If I followed that I'd definitely put on weight, even going to the gym every day! The recommended exercise is much less than that.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/behind-the-headlines-calorie-guidelines-remain-unchanged

So pretty much the guidance that's been in place for years.

Given the electorate, giving any more sophisticated guidance is going to be ugly. Look at how the tabloids reported something as simple as this...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,023 Member
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    Co-workers do give some of the best woo.

Conversation the other day. Whilst it was a really nice acknowledgement of my weight loss, it also included a shining example of where I was just over a year ago when I thought about 'diets':

CW: You look great, we have all been asking, what is your secret?
    Me: Thanks. [blush horribly/hate attention] I just eat less now.
    CW: So like a mega strict diet?
    Me: Nope, just a bit less of everything......
    CW: I can't stop myself eating junk food......
    Me: Actually I probably eat more chocolate now than I did a year ago, just a portion a day rather than a whole bar.
    CW: You swim though right? Is it that that has helped?
    Me: Nope, just eating less. I swam for years before I started counting calories and didn't lose.
    CW: I couldn't do that!

*facepalm*

Substitute "row" for "swim", and I've had this exact conversation.

I also had another friend tell me that I'd stopped eating bread (which I didn't; I merely happened to order a bunless veggie burger in front of the person a few times at a restaurant where the buns are not worth the calories).

<eyeroll>
  • silviamartins
    silviamartins Posts: 32 Member

I'm having this same problem right now, but not from my staff. I'm having trouble explaining it to the vendors that cater the luncheons, bring bagels, doughnuts, cookies, etc. I'm always asked, "Really? You don't want a free meal/doughnut/bagel/cookie? Are you sure? We have plenty, just one won't hurt you. . . " and on and on.

I'm learning to just not care what anyone else thinks, eat the lunch/snacks that I packed and smile a little more each week when I step on the scale.

I don't know if this helps, but on days lunch is catered, if I know about it, I pack a big lunch and plenty of "allowable" snacks (I have a smaller dinner that night) and eat before the food arrives. If I'm full I'm less tempted.

I’m also trying not to care what others think, I get shy about turning away free food. I’m not overweight and people think because of that it’s okay for me to eat junk food. I get “why not? You’re so tiny!” I’m tiny because I bring my own lunch lol!
  • firlena227
    firlena227 Posts: 86 Member
    ^^Yep, ditto... I didn't used to mind but now I find it quite rude that people feel the need to comment on my size "you're slim so you don't need to watch what you eat/you can eat whatever you want" errrm no, I'm slim (now) BECAUSE I watch what I eat... I never bring up the subject of watching calories etc at work because I know I'd be shot down in flames lol.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    firlena227 wrote: »
    ^^Yep, ditto... I didn't used to mind but now I find it quite rude that people feel the need to comment on my size "you're slim so you don't need to watch what you eat/you can eat whatever you want" errrm no, I'm slim (now) BECAUSE I watch what I eat... I never bring up the subject of watching calories etc at work because I know I'd be shot down in flames lol.

I was at two parties yesterday. I did not stuff my face wildly at either, but had a little bit of the things I wanted. Balanced it out with plenty of water and picking at the veggie tray. I was flamed by multiple people for not eating enough. "You're tiny. Eat more cake. Have more wine. Eat the chips." Uhhh, I won't stay this way if I shovel in every thing I want by the truckload haha! I tried explaining to someone that I really only wanted a tiny sliver of cake because I had another party to attend and was going out for St. Patrick's day later in the evening. I told her how I was conserving calories and making sure I could enjoy food every event that day. She told me it was crazy talk and I should just let loose and eat everything I want. With no regard to portions, because I'm not fat....
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited March 2018
    firlena227 wrote: »

I know that feeling, it's incredible how such a simple answer gets rejected with fire and fury like you offended them. Everytime I mention calories, my coworkers always deny it and find other theories to show that I am wrong. At that point I just give up and I feel like telling them "Ok, well stay fat then, nothing I can do to change your views.". Of course, I don't say that, it would be rude of me, but it doesn't stop me from thinking it.
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Momepro wrote: »
    kkimpel wrote: »
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »

It's definitely taught in school. My kids did it in 6th and 7th grade health class.
    They where given a pad of paper and told to write down their foods for the weekend and look up the USDA nutrition values associated with the food choices.
    Then they where shown how many calories most people need in a day verse what most people consume.
    My children go to a American public school and I could easily go ask for the lesson plan to prove that kids are taught this in school.

As a former principal of an American public elementary school, I can tell you that it is very hard to penetrate the culture of cupcakes and doughnuts for birthdays, even HALF birthdays. The few allowed parties were full of cookies to decorate .. cupcakes, candy, even soda! Luckily, the feds outlawed soda, so that was an easy fix.

We decided as a staff to cut it out. We had a huge push, with lessons and posters and healthy choice examples for recess and "special day" snacks. We had "Garden Parties" in our school garden with tasty treats from the vegetable garden to test taste. Then we put our foot down and said, "NO" to birthday treats (you can't imagine how many birthdays and half birthdays 32 students could have) Then our few parties became "Kindness Activities" and instead of decorating huge cookies, where the main purpose of the party was to scarf down snacks while creating a giant cookie snack, the purpose became whatever project the kids had chosen. .. like making dog blankets or letters to soldiers.

While it is great for students "learn about" healthy eating, but then if the school participates in regular opportunities to celebrate based on poor food choices, that is all pretty hollow. I did earn the title of "Cupcake Nazi" Of course, we still had treats, we just made them more about regular food and not desserts only. Small desert choice, large vegetable, and protein choices. I even changed the chocolate jar for the teachers to in-season lunchbox size fruits and once a week a little chocolate treat.

At the same time, we increased active lifestyle choices at recess, free time and after school .. but that is another side of the "Fit for Life" coin and a discussion for another day. :)

What the hell is a half birthday? And why would they celebrate it?

That was my question too! Does that mean I can be 27 instead of 54? lol

that would be an opposite effect.. like bi-birthday, every other year?