OMG I'm eating twice the amount of calories I should be

Options
2»

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Double is a lot. How much do you need to lose, and how fast are you trying to lose it?

^^^This, I was about to ask the same thing. Something sounds skewed in how you set up your profile/goals.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    rajedeasli wrote: »
    I just started with this website today and I discovered I am eating twice the amount of calories I should be to lose the amount I need to. Can anyone help me? I don't know how to cut it down. I thought the amounts and kind of food was totally healthy and I would lose weight. Now I realize that even some of the healthy stuff can be my worst choice

Well done on logging! That's really a big step!

Modify your portions, like people are saying. A quarter of an avocado, rather than half. Weigh out 28 actual grams of almonds, rather than a small handful. Little things like that will get you there.

Look at your foods. Which ones are hitting your calories the hardest and how much do you love them? If you love them lots, then have a bit less. If you're meh about them, switch them out for something lower calories. One of these items for me is milk. I'm meh about milk. I can switch it out for unsweetened almond milk in almost everything and save 80 calories a cup.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Double is a lot. How much do you need to lose, and how fast are you trying to lose it?

^^^This, I was about to ask the same thing. Something sounds skewed in how you set up your profile/goals.

Not necessarily. I lose at a modest pace on 1500 per day. If I went back to caloric beverages, fast food lunches, and 2nd helpings at dinner I'd easily average 3k.

That's fair...and I don't disagree. I'd still like to know more about the OP's stats though. I still find something may be off with a beginner who's eating 2x what she needs to lose weight.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Not necessarily. I lose at a modest pace on 1500 per day. If I went back to caloric beverages, fast food lunches, and 2nd helpings at dinner I'd easily average 3k.

That's fair...and I don't disagree. I'd still like to know more about the OP's stats though. I still find something may be off with a beginner who's eating 2x what she needs to lose weight.

Agreed, stats would help clarify! More likely to be the case for someone who is smaller and female, although they could not have been eating at 2x maintenance regularly and for too long, even at that.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    ursula130 wrote: »
    rajedeasli wrote: »
    I just started with this website today and I discovered I am eating twice the amount of calories I should be to lose the amount I need to. Can anyone help me? I don't know how to cut it down. I thought the amounts and kind of food was totally healthy and I would lose weight. Now I realize that even some of the healthy stuff can be my worst choice

I hear you! I bought a tiny bag of smokes almonds at Starbucks last weekend thinking it's more healthy than the cakes. Fortunately I scanned it before opening it, it had over 300cal for 50g (one bag). I gave the bag away and just had the coffee. My big tip is log before you eat.

I am sitting in a Starbucks right now. I bring my own snack and just get a coffee.

And I'll get a Venti ice tea cup of ice for my water bottle for my next stop at the gym.

I can bring a 140 calorie granola bar or a 190 calorie Atkins bar in with me.

Or cash in some of my rewards and get a protein box. If I'm going to get 300-500 calories, it's not going to be a small item that will leave me hungry later.
  • ByteLily
    ByteLily Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I lost 40lbs with MFP and (although I gained back 10 in the last two years, I am here again)
    I learned so much I eventually was able to stop using it. I faithfully logged everything and began to make better choices. For example I don't put the same amount of food on my plate as my husband does. I dont get seconds, I gave up my daily dessert for home made fruit salad. MFP was instrumental in teaching me portion control and after I got the hang of it, I really started eating new and different foods and wasn't hungry. In the beginning I just restricted the foods I already ate to match the calorie goal and failed. I had to learn how to eat and what to eat. For example I now only eat half a cup of pasta or rice. Even though the serving size says 1 cup, the half a cup really satisfies me if I add in some extra protien and fresh veggies. Salad dressing was a real eye opener, too. MFP will help you learn all the better food choices. It was overwhelming at first but within a few days I got the hang of it and within a few weeks it becomes really easy.
  • shadagee
    shadagee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just discovered the same thing! I thought I was doing fine, and my weight stayed within a 5 pound range. But I want it down. Not just for my appearance, by the way, but having to do with my back problems, and muscle mass. I'm one of those strange people who's become extremely skinny in the legs and glutes, and my weight is moving upwards into my abdomen and back. I was actually getting a hump! The weight on the front of me is literally pulling my back down. No muscle tone, my core is shot! Neck pain, sciatica.....just a mess.

So yes, the calorie counting is EXTREMELY eye-opening! Orange juice! OMG! Almonds! My beloved scones for breakfast! And Wine. Dear God, Red Wine. Our glasses are big, we have too much, get silly and start eating junk.
    Chocolate is actually not as bad as I thought. And I've been trying to hit 1200 and actually get hungry! I've never been hungry. I just ate because I wanted to.

So this is my plan. I'm doing a posture makeover for starters. I got a posture brace for your shoulders, which you can wear about 3 hours a day. That helps keep you from slumping in your chair at the desk and trains those muscles. I'm trying to keep my body in "dance or skating" posture when I stand and walk. It aligns everything. I'm putting light weights on my ankles when I walk and do stealth leg exercises under my desk. This is at least half of the issue.

I'm going with 1500 calories, not 1200. This isn't going to work if I feel completely deprived.
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    it's usually not considered appropriate to bring your own food where food is served

While that may be true in general, many places are fine with you bringing your own stuff if you are actually purchasing items there. The person you are referring too could opt to buy their coffee from Starbucks and sit in their car eating their snack and drinking the coffee. Starbucks loses nothing and gains nothing more from them being in their car. The same person sitting in Starbucks drinking their coffee and eating his or her own snack has the exact same impact on Starbucks.

Back when I ate what I wanted whenever I wanted to do so (oh, those days... :) ) I have done a similar thing. I love McDonald's fries but Burger King's ...no so much. I love BK's Whoppers though. And I like Wendy's Frosty's. None of the 3 places gave me any grief about bringing others inside because I was still spending my money there.

Some places would mind, others wouldn't. If I am going someplace for a coffee, I am going there for a coffee. That I am buying your $3 coffee doesn't obligate me to spend $4 on a bagel. :)
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    ByteLily wrote: »
    I lost 40lbs with MFP and (although I gained back 10 in the last two years, I am here again)
    I learned so much I eventually was able to stop using it. I faithfully logged everything and began to make better choices. For example I don't put the same amount of food on my plate as my husband does. I dont get seconds, I gave up my daily dessert for home made fruit salad. MFP was instrumental in teaching me portion control and after I got the hang of it, I really started eating new and different foods and wasn't hungry. In the beginning I just restricted the foods I already ate to match the calorie goal and failed. I had to learn how to eat and what to eat. For example I now only eat half a cup of pasta or rice. Even though the serving size says 1 cup, the half a cup really satisfies me if I add in some extra protien and fresh veggies. Salad dressing was a real eye opener, too. MFP will help you learn all the better food choices. It was overwhelming at first but within a few days I got the hang of it and within a few weeks it becomes really easy.

This is a great example of what so many of us are hoping for in the end. It is one of the things my HR director says all the time when I talk about my "diet". She tells me it is not a "diet" it is a lifestyle change (she is also a Life Coach so it has a different sound when she says it). It isn't about simply changing what you have to eat but changing how you want to eat.

I am a long ways from that point but in time I hope it all falls into place like it did with you :).
  • Ninkasi
    Ninkasi Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Look at your foods. Which ones are hitting your calories the hardest and how much do you love them? If you love them lots, then have a bit less. If you're meh about them, switch them out for something lower calories. One of these items for me is milk. I'm meh about milk. I can switch it out for unsweetened almond milk in almost everything and save 80 calories a cup.

I envy you. To me, nothing tastes right in coffee except cow's milk. 75 calories worth, every morning. Not so many calories, really, but a surprising amount of "room" to add things to other meals. :/
  • itsgood
    itsgood Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    When I finally knew I was ready, I started by adding to my food choices. I needed to eat more vegetables, fiber, fruits, etc. I didn't start out eliminating foods or changing my "usual" menu, but I made sure to add things...two vegetable sides rather than one, fruit with breakfast, spinach in a smoothie, etc. Then I gradually reduced the starchy carbs (rice, pasta, potato) and fats. I started collecting ideas for lower-carb meals. I made sure to include protein with all meals to keep satiated. I have been amazed at how easily I've moved away from sugar and starch...bread maybe once every two weeks, same with rice or pasta. (I really worried about that!) I definitely will enjoy sweets when there is an occasion but not regularly any more. The practice of counting and logging calories is becoming habit, as is the weighing and measuring of everything. I'm still working on increasing my water intake. I've just begun working out, but like the change in eating, I'm taking a gradual approach. I've lost over 30 lbs since Feb. It really feels so good! This is a life choice, and I'm in it for the long run!