Macros

stazt
stazt Posts: 3 Member
Just wondering if Macros matter for weight loss? Am I okay sticking to my daily calorie goal if my macros are way out?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    No they don't, not for weight loss.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    It's all about the calories. Macros just ensures that you get the right amount of fats (for hormone balance), carbs (for energy), protein (for muscle maintenance/gains)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited May 2018
    Adherance to appropriate amount of calories matter for weightloss. Macros may matter for adherance to appropriate amount of calories. It's not "your" macros if they are "way off".
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,742 Member
    Calories determine weight loss (or gain, or maintenance).

However, most of us prefer to be healthy overall, not just a healthy weight. For overall health, nutrition is important. Getting adequate protein, adequate fat, and plenty of fruits/veggies (for micronutrients and fiber) is a good start. The MFP default macro percents aren't bad for most people, as a starting point. It doesn't really matter if you're a little over/under any of them now and then, but it's good to treat your protein and fat goals as minimums most days. Carbs are more of a wild card: Some people find lower carbs help them reduce cravings, while others don't feel well (don't have enough energy, for one) on low carbs.

Your macro levels in general may affect how full and satisfied you feel, so can affect whether you're able to stick to a calorie deficit over the long time required to achieve a weight goal. Quite a few people just can't feel full with too little protein, fats, and/or fiber.

Calories for weight management, macro- and micro-nutrients for nutrition, exercise for fitness = best odds for good health.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    All macros have calories.

Carbs are 4 calories per gram.
    Protein is 4 calories per gram.
    Fat is 9 calories per gram.

As long as you stay within your calorie goal, you will lose weight regardless of what your macros are. However, for health, you'll want to at least hit your fat and protein minimums.
  • jordy1800
    jordy1800 Posts: 4 Member
    I notice only the mobile app has free nutrient macro's.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited May 2018
    jordy1800 wrote: »
    I notice only the mobile app has free nutrient macro's.

The mobile app shows you the pie chart, if that's what you're talking about. Your macros still show up in the web app with every food you log, with a total for the day at the bottom of the page.

To answer the original question - macros do not matter for weight loss - calories are all that matter. With that said, macros do matter for overall nutrition/health, body composition, workout performance and satiety.