Neck Training question

Options
Does anyone have a suggestions on neck harnesses that work for people with small heads? Like a 21 inch circumference

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    If you build up your neck your head might appear smaller.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    The only reason to specifically do isolation neck exercises is if you need a bigger neck to "make tape", or you're a professional Bodybuilder, in which case your coach/trainer should be doing your programming and not MFP.

Work the rest of your body(back, chest, shoulders) and your neck will get proportionally bigger as appropriate.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    What exactly are you hoping that building up neck muscles will do for you?
  • My_Legacy_Begins
    My_Legacy_Begins Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My question is about equipment not whether I should do it or how. I am working on my whole body but I enjoy neck training. Also your neck does not grow proportionally with your body all by itself. Your traps may help because the attach points are on the base of the neck but that is about the extent. I have a long neck so personally in addition to just liking the training I would like to add just a little size to thicken it and then maintain from there. I am just having a hard time finding a harness that I know will adjust to my head size. And in case it's not understood I do not need training advice.
  • My_Legacy_Begins
    Options
    If you build up your neck your head might appear smaller.

Lmao true , I'm not building it much more but once I get maybe an extra inch my goal is to maintain
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    First of all you could probably start with some research on the various muscles in the neck. A lot of the muscles that are more likely to make your neck look thicker are actually used for things like opening your mouth (platysma) and turning your head (the various heads of the sternocleidomastoid). The head harness works the splenius capitis, which is really just going to make your neck look wider from the side and not the front.

Face down plate neck raises, face up plate neck raises, side isometric neck stability, and shrugs are going to be healthier for your neck if you absolutely insist on doing neck work.

By all means ignore my training advice and keep looking for a harness though. It's not going to do what you think it's going to do.
  • My_Legacy_Begins
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    First of all you could probably start with some research on the various muscles in the neck. A lot of the muscles that are more likely to make your neck look thicker are actually used for things like opening your mouth (platysma) and turning your head (the various heads of the sternocleidomastoid). The head harness works the splenius capitis, which is really just going to make your neck look wider from the side and not the front.

Face down plate neck raises, face up plate neck raises, side isometric neck stability, and shrugs are going to be healthier for your neck if you absolutely insist on doing neck work.

By all means ignore my training advice and keep looking for a harness though. It's not going to do what you think it's going to do.

The face down/up plate movements are just neck flexion and extension which can be done with a harness as well, also harnesses have extra rings for turning your head side to side with bands/or cables. You can also lay on your sides with plates. I prefer a harness for neck extensions but a plate for flexion. It is personal preference. I am experienced with neck training yet I am getting small pieces of equipment I can carry around in my bag when I need it because I move often with the military and not every gym is equiped the same so it would be nice to gather some personal equipment. I may not be that receptive to the training talk purely because my question is blatantly being ignored. A harness is not that big of a deal it is not an end all be all of
    neck training but a simple question as to which is a decent buy shouldn't be that hard to solicit a response.