Question about “servings per container”

Options
GeauxL
GeauxL Posts: 57 Member
I weigh &/or measure every serving of what I eat/drink. The question I have is that sometimes a package may say ie. 4 servings per container. But, on some items, when I measure out a serving, or two, what is left doesn’t equal out to the remaining servings according to the package. For instance, the riced cauliflower & sweet potatoes by Green Giant package states the serving size is 1 cup & there are 4 serving per package. All I’ve ever been able to get from the package is about 2.5 servings & I use a measuring cup, don’t pack it down, & don’t go over a cup. Does anyone else find this with certain products? I don’t want to go over the serving size & nutritional values but I know I’m measuring correctly.

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    It’s just mislabeled or doesn’t contain the amount it claims. Nothing to do with the product, but company error
  • strongwouldbenice
    strongwouldbenice Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Labels are allowed to be off by up to 20%, but also measuring will never be totally correct. Weigh what you eat, and you'll figure out if there's actually four servings and you're under-logging, or if there's only 2.5 servings, and you're over-logging.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    A “serving size” is meaningless. Weigh your food and log the number of grams you ate. The number of grams you eat does not need to match the number of grams listed as a “serving.”
  • kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    dotren wrote: »
    You have to go by weight, not volume. Especially with foods that shrink when cooked.

Or those that expand... like rice :)
  • DmaMfz
    DmaMfz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It’s talking about the grams listed. Just weigh the serving to match the grams it lists as a serving.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Weigh it - since calories is per gram.

Or weigh the amount you want to eat, then divide by the grams per serving.

And no - the number of servings per package rarely match, even when it's 1 serving per package - because the stated weight and what's actually in there may not match either.
    Be aware frozen stuff is almost always weighed frozen when they talk about servings, not the cooked product that has lost water weight. Or gained perhaps if you add water.

Why are you measuring with cups when you have a scale - much harder and worse cleanup too.

If you can only weigh after cooking, then you need to weigh the whole amount when finished - then weigh how much of it you ate - and divide so see how many servings of the total you ate.
  • GeauxL
    GeauxL Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I’m measuringnwith cups when the nutrition info listed on the package is cups per serving. When it’s ounces, I weigh.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Problem is, products can settle during shipping. If I measure a cup of whole crackers versus a cup of broken, in general, the broken crackers will weigh more because more of the smaller pieces will fit into the cup.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I’m measuringnwith cups when the nutrition info listed on the package is cups per serving. When it’s ounces, I weigh.

It should also have a weight, usually in brackets next to a measurement. Go with the weight when available!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    The calories by weight are the more reliable I would think. Safeway canned tomatoes are like this - 3.5 servings is never true, by weight it's always nearer 3.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If it is, that's good example of one actually being correct for servings per package.

85 x 4 = 340g, which is what the package says.

Of course, accuracy of what is actually in the package could be slightly off, but probably not by much.

The kicker - that is obviously uncooked weight.

I'm sure when cooked it loses some moisture and weight.
    So you either weigh out whatever you'd eat in frozen state.

Or that little, eat the whole bag at once and just use the Tare function to find total weight in bag before cooking. 200 cal is side dish.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    If it is, that's good example of one actually being correct for servings per package.

85 x 4 = 340g, which is what the package says.

Of course, accuracy of what is actually in the package could be slightly off, but probably not by much.

The kicker - that is obviously uncooked weight.

I'm sure when cooked it loses some moisture and weight.
    So you either weigh out whatever you'd eat in frozen state.

Or that little, eat the whole bag at once and just use the Tare function to find total weight in bag before cooking. 200 cal is side dish.

That was my thought. Eat the whole bag. Problem solved! :lol:

(OK not really, because you still have to deal with the issue of the actual amounts not matching the provided nutrition information but 50 calories of cauliflower and sweet potato doesn't go very far for me.)
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    It’s just mislabeled or doesn’t contain the amount it claims. Nothing to do with the product, but company error

An error in their favor. Personally I think this kind of misleading labels is done to trick consumers.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options

It should also have a weight, usually in brackets next to a measurement. Go with the weight when available!

But... It is hard to do so sometines because the grams at the top is often too small to read it. (I have old eyes). Lol
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    1houndgal wrote: »

But... It is hard to do so sometines because the grams at the top is often too small to read it. (I have old eyes). Lol

Get a magnifying glass. I have one for extremely small print.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    More importantly does this taste good? I am going to look for it. :)
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    DmaMfz wrote: »
    It’s talking about the grams listed. Just weigh the serving to match the grams it lists as a serving.

^This. I still weigh everything. Things like chips and popcorn are impossible to measure with cups.