Low fat or full fat

Options
kat239
kat239 Posts: 92 Member
Hi guys do you use full fat mayo, butter, oil or low fat following a weight loss diet?

Replies

• TheFlyOnTheWall
    TheFlyOnTheWall Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I make my decision based on the taste - if there's no taste difference, I'll usually get the low fat - but most low fat foods make me gag - especially sour cream
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I use full fat on most things, but I do get light ranch because I'd rather use more dressing without blowing out my calories.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Some things I do low fat, some things full fat. Depends on taste and what fits in my goals for the week.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I use light mayo but real butter. Skim milk but reduced fat cheese and reduced fat sour cream. I prefer low carb yogurt but I am very picky about the flavors. I dint do Greek yogurt af all.... it just tastes weird to me.

As far as salad dressing goes I use low-fat but then add one teaspoon of olive oil to it to enhance the flavor and control the type of fat I eat. When eating a salad I also like to squeeze a fresh lime wedge over the salad and top it with honey roasted almond slivers instead of croutons
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Depends on the particular fat. My LDL is 110, which is not bad since I have never had cardiovascular trouble, but I make an effort not to eat too many sat fats and dairy fat is mostly sat fat. I eat non fat yogurt, very little butter and use almond milk in cereal. But I actually prefer sweetened almond milk in cereal and non fat yogurt tastes normal to me now.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Full fat on butter and oils. As others have said, the low fat dont stand up taste, and often texture wise. I often do low fat, high protein yogurt as it doesn't change the flavor mucho and banks a de calories.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I normally go low fat because I prefer my fat intake to mainly be polyunsaturated and monounsaturated instead of saturated and low fat gives me more calories for that. It is a very individual thing though. There is no way I'd choose this option if I didn't enjoy low fat food. There is no way I'd waste calories on food I don't enjoy.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I use light/low-fat versions of many things because: a) I'm not a picky eater so I don't notice much difference, and b) it gives me more calories for other things, and I like to eat.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Full fat mayo when I want the mayo taste, low fat when I just want a creamy coating of something. I find low fat mayo doesn't taste like mayo at all. Butter and oil are just butter and oil, they don't have a lower calorie replacement. Low calorie oil doesn't exist, and low calorie butter is just regular butter with a filler or is something that can't be called butter.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I use light/low-fat versions of many things because: a) I'm not a picky eater so I don't notice much difference, and b) it gives me more calories for other things, and I like to eat.
    x2, and also, eating a low fat diet helps me control an autoimmune disease I have.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    kat239 wrote: »
    Hi guys do you use full fat mayo, butter, oil or low fat following a weight loss diet?

Butter and olive oil all the way! I avoid polyunsaturated fats where possible (except omega oils)!
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    full fat all the way - just less of it. I'm more concerned with additives and sugars than fats
  • fluffyjames44
    fluffyjames44 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Full fat. For me, tastes better and is more satisfying so I eat less. Low fat greek yoghurt is the ultimate disappointment.