Low fat or full fat

Options

Replies

• Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Full fat all the way for me. Just a little less of it.

I make it a rule to not cut out anything I like from my diet. Complete abstention from anything I enjoy just wouldn’t be sustainable for me in the long term.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Full fat everything.

Ditto! Full fat everything. Always. You need adequate fat in your diet, both to help you feel full and also to ensure that you are absorbing your fat soluble vitamins, A, D, E, and K.
  • MushroomLadyJR
    MushroomLadyJR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Full fat butter and mayo. Low fat cream cheese, cottage cheese, and yogurt. I go based on taste. I will adjust quantity to fit my goals
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I eat what my family eats, generally full fat but I'm not opposed to reduced fat if it doesn't compromise taste or texture. I'm fine with reduced fat mayo (only Hellman's though) but low-fat cheese is a crime against nature.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Honestly it depends on the food and how much calorie room I have on a given day (same goes with things sweetened with sugar or sugar substitutes though).
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I eat low fat because I'd rather spend my calories on other macros.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Full fat butter and mayo. Low fat cream cheese, cottage cheese, and yogurt. I go based on taste. I will adjust quantity to fit my goals

This ^

Full fat cheese as well, as I haven't found a low fat one that tastes good. I'd rather have less full fat cheese than more yucky low fat cheese.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Some things low fat, some full fat.

To be honest I grew up on some things being low fat so the full fat versions doesn't taste nice to me.

I, however, will never go with fat free. I have yet to find something this is fat free that I actually enjoy eating (I'm talking about yogurts, milk etc.)
  • jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    My doctor told me to because of my cholesterol. She told me to eat fat free everything. For the small amount of dairy that I eat, I'm really not worried about it (and I buy lean meats anyway). Low fat and fat free cheese is a crime anyway.

For the rest, if there isn't a huge difference in taste, I go for low fat (cream cheese, sour cream, mayo etc). Regular butter of course, and I don't really use oil (except maybe 1 second spray if I make eggs, which is rare).

Your total cholesterol must be through the roof... dietary consumption of fats and cholesterol only affect blood cholesterol levels by about 10% according to recent studies (and yes, I'll post the sources if someone wants to get all bunched up about it, or Google it yourself).

Sounds like you've got it under control anyhow..

I eat full fat everything unless there is a significant calorie savings and the tastes is nearly identical.. some items, I take the calorie hit and make sure it fits and log it- you just can't substitute certain things.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I do both. Examples, I'm low fat/no fat salad dressing, low fat mayo, lite butter, lite cream cheese, 2% milk for my cereal as to not drive up the calories. I am not a picky eater.

For things like baking I don't skimp and use full fat when ever called.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    It depends on the other macros. I tend to have full-fat because I'm looking at carbs as well as calories, but if there is a reduced fat option that is similar in carbs but lower in calories--and I still like the taste--I'll go that route. Like Kerrygold makes a slightly reduced calorie/fat grassfed butter that is 20 calories less a tablespoon without any added sugar, and I find it just as satisfying from a taste perspective. But I avoid most reduced fat cheeses, except feta, because reducing the fat usually means a higher carb count. (I'm keto).
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Full fat for me, regular butter and only Hellman's mayo will do (have tried lots of other brands and none come close). I'm big on flavour and am happier moderating the portion size for that.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    full
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I use a combination based on what my calorie and macro needs are. I prefer full fat because it tastes better.
  • laurascott1994
    laurascott1994 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Mostly low fat for me, tends to have less calories.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Mostly full fat. But sometimes low fat depending on how tight my calories are and depending on the flavor. I get a little turned off when the ingredients list quadruples to compensate for it being low fat. Not that this is always the case, and I'm not additive-phobic. But sometimes they add tons of fillers, and flavors, and sometimes sugar to compensate for the lack of fat. I've found on some things the low fat version doesn't always save calories either. Most recent example- I was looking between the choice of low fat graham crackers, and regular graham crackers. I was surprised to find out I was saving (If I remember right) around 20 calories buying full fat.

To sum up before I get too rambly- I check the nutrition label, I check to see if it's really saving me any calories, and also take flavor into consideration.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Generally full fat products and just use less.
    However, I like a few light salad dressings like Newman's Own light basalmic vinaigrette, Lighthouse Opa dressings, Bolthouse Farms dressings.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Full fat most of the time. If I'm cutting and on poverty macros I go lower fat and cry myself to sleep.