How Much Do Cooked Beans Weigh?

Options
So, I've been wanting to have beans for a while, but I don't want to cook just one serving of beans (black eye peas or 15 bean soup beans) because my whole family eats out of the same pot, so we just cook the entire bag.

Anyone know what a serving of cooked black eye peas weighs? Or stuff like kidney beans?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    There are entries in the database for cooked beans of various types (USDA data). Probably close enough.

Alternatively, weigh the raw beans, weigh the cooked beans, do some arithmetic to log the correct equivalent raw bean weight for the cooked weight that you eat.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    .. or add it in as a recipe..
    i1rqfmfqq0uk.png
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    the bean entries in the database tend to be all over the place FYI, so check carefully.. Often, I've had to add a new entry because a bunch already existed, but were all way, way different than what the manufacturer specified on the bag.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Because the amount of broth can vary, I would go one the high end of the database for beans. If you cook them yourself you can build a recipe around them and figure out how many calories are in your average serving.
  • dotren
    dotren Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I believe a pound of dry beans is 2oz per serving, so you'd get 8 servings per pound.