Should I count veggies and fruits in my daily calorie goal?

Options
OhHon97
OhHon97 Posts: 48 Member
I usually eat my set calorie goal for the day but dont count the calories of fruits or veggies (unless its something like a potato or avocado). Is this what most people do?

Replies

• VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!!!! Especially fruit, as there are a lot of fruit that's high in calories.

General rule: if it has calories, track it.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If you eat it, you track it.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I don't always track all of my veggies. It depends. If I add lettuce and pickles to a sandwich, sometimes I log, sometimes not. Same for cucumbers, celery, and other super low-cal veggies in a small quantity. I know, from having logged every single bite, which ones I can afford to ignore and how much of them. I'm also in a fairly large deficit. As that shrinks and I get closer to goal weight, I'll be less likely to skip any of them.

ETA: I weigh and log all fruit.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Obviously your body will count the calories even if you don't. But I also find value in being able to look back through my diary and see what I ate on certain days. Without fruits and veg, that would be a very incomplete picture.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    This should answer your question. Why do you think potatoes or a couple of cookies are worth logging, but other foods are not?

vlwhg2mmc44n.png
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Whether you count them or not, your body will.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    If they have calories, and you are paying attention to the amount of calories you eat, count them. You'd be surprises how even fruits and veggies can add up.
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I sure do, I can eat 200 calories in a huge salad. I also track seasonings even if they olnly add a couple of cals.

I’m on vacation right now, and still try and track what I eat and often over estimate.

If I don’t track, or attempt to track everything I feel that I’m failing.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily log the 5 calories of lettuce on my sandwich or a stick of celery, and I don't always weigh vegetables with a low calorie density, but considering I eat about 500 calories a day in fruits and veg, it would be a little self defeating not to log at least a close approximation. One good sized piece of fruit can easily be 100 calories. If you eat the recommended daily allowance of fruit and veg, not logging it would quickly wipe out any deficit you might have.
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »
    If they have calories, and you are paying attention to the amount of calories you eat, count them. You'd be surprises how even fruits and veggies can add up.

Agreed. Weigh everything too. I see entries like a “large” banana entered as 90 calories. Every banana that I have is 120-138 grams, which is closer to 130 cals.